Options

Has anyone had an endoscopy?

MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

I was booked to have an endoscopy on Friday of this week as after a blood test I was found to have very low iron.
However due to unforseen circumstances I had to ring and rearrange. They actually brought my appaointment forward to tomorrow.

The thing is I have just been completing the questionaire and realised that I should have stopped taking my iron tablets a week ago.

I am going to give them a call tomorrow morning to see what they advise but am wondering if anyone knows why I should have stopped them and will it make a difference.

Also, has anyone had this test before for low iron levels? The GP mentioned internal bleeding or anything sinister.:eek:

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can cause pigmentation in the stomach that can be confused for blood. Definitely give them a call, whilst it's not the worst experience in the world you won't want to have it done again soon if you can avoid it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Keefy thats makes sense. If I could have attended the appointment on Friday it would have been okay but Mum has an appointment with her oncologist which I figured is more important.

I'll give them a call tomorrow, luckily my appointment isn't until the afternoon.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they haven't said, perhaps just check if they require you to stop eating or drinking a few hours before? Although I think this might depend on what part of the digestive system they're examining.

It wasn't painful Molly, just a bit uncomfortable. You can also choose whether you would like a sedative or local anethestic to relax you - they'll let you relax for about an hour after for the effects to wear off. I chose the spray that just numbs the throat as I thought the sedative might make me feel a bit sick. You might have a bit of a cough and a splutter when they take the tube out, but they're used this. :)
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    I've had loads, as I have chronic ulcers. Found them absolutely fine, and didn't have the sedation. There is a sort of knack involved, in that you have to just relax. I got the hang of it so well that I could sit up and turn around to view the monitor to see my stomach.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible when I had it done and never again, spray into throat and I felt like I was dying of a dry throat, started gagging badly so needed sedation, still gagging when tube inserted but did stop eventually. It's not a nice procedure but only lasts a few mins.

Don't eat before it though or things could get messy :eek:
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I've had it done twice and it was an awful experience. Sorry, but I don't see any point in trying to sugar coat it.

The worst part is actually having to consciously swallow the camera and the cable just at the point when you think you are choking. It goes against every natural instinct and isn't pleasant.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

I am already prepared for the endoscopy itself. My husband has had it twice, once with sedation and once without. I think I will need it because I have a bad gag reflex anyway.

The letter says nothing to eat or drink for 6 hours except sips of water.

Do you think its likely they will postpone because of the iron tablets I have been taking?
  • Options
    snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Hi, I have had quite a few bronchoscopy's, which is virtually the same thing. Only difference is they go to the lungs, not the stomach.
    In the past they tried giving me drugs to relax, but because my body has a resistance to many types of medication, it hardly worked.
    As one poster said, the trick is to relax, try and take your mind off it. Difficult I know, but the more tense you are the worse an experience it will be. No procedure like that is pleasant, but they wouldn't be doing it unless there was a good reason.

As for your question about iron pills, I wouldn't think they would postpone it for that. Besides, if your medication is prescribed they would know about that anyway.
    When I had my last one done, they still did it even though I was full of flu and had been taking Day Nurse etc.
    Good luck with it though, and don't worry you will be fine.
  • Options
    JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I've had it done twice and it was an awful experience. Sorry, but I don't see any point in trying to sugar coat it.

The worst part is actually having to consciously swallow the camera and the cable just at the point when you think you are choking. It goes against every natural instinct and isn't pleasant.

Good luck!

I hope to god I never have to go through it again. For me it was utterly hideous.

Though I have known several people who found it absolutely fine.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a couple, trick is zone out. It's not as bad as it sounds, you need to relax (maybe ask if you can take earphones in with you - you'll need one ear free though as they give you simple instructions).

I was in and out of there within half an hour and the time itself was only a couple of minutes with the camera. I had throat spray that tasted of banana and went a long way to numbing the sensation (plus from the point after the back of your throat you don't feel it going down), I remember my eyes watered a bit but that was about it. Happy as Larry afterwards. Friend of mine had same procedure, wasn't looking forward to it, opted to be sedated - he was spaced out until the next day and had to get someone to be at home with him that night.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    It's sedation all the way for me! I hardly felt a thing, seemed like the whole thing was a dream and it only lasted a few seconds, when it was obviously much longer. I chilled out in a side cubicle for about an hour after, then the nurse brought me a coffee and croissant and i was as right as rain. But I agree with everyone else, the trick is to try and relax.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    I hope to god I never have to go through it again. For me it was utterly hideous.

Though I have known several people who found it absolutely fine.

I agree. On both occasions the experience was horrendous.

First time around the doctor had to get the nurse to calm me down while the camera was in my stomach because my heart rate had gone through the roof.

On the second occasion I actually ripped the camera out of the doctor's hand when he made his first attempt to force it down my throat.

Unfortunately and by a strange coincidence, I am having stomach problems at the moment. I had a blood test on Friday, but if that doesn't turn anything up I might end up having an endoscopy for a third time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I had one a few months ago and it was no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I nearly didn't go through with it I was that petrified and this was sat in the room waiting to have it done. The nurse explained everything and I just asked her to do it quick. I had the spray and the sedative. The spray was the worst part because it taste of banana.

Afterwards I felt so relaxed and a nurse gave me some tea and biscuits :)
  • Options
    catzooocatzooo Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I had a bronchoscopy on Friday. The banana spray to numb the throat was the worst part. couldnt breathe or swallow. Had oxygen into nose. Had sedation so dont remember much after that. Had to lie down for 2 hours after to recover and was told not to drive and to have somebody with me for 24 hours.
    Today still got sore throat and a tickly cough from it. Strepsils and lem sips help