Frankie Owned Tonight

Comments

• MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    houdi wrote: »
    Er, you weren't actually supposed to take my post seriously, Monaogg.
    ^_^ ^_^ ^_^
  • *Venetia**Venetia* Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like the rumba (what rumba?) because it was so twee. Frankie & Kevin are the King & Queen of twee.
    The AT didn't work for me due to the music. Just think it works so much better with at least vaguely traditional music.
    So many of the dances this series have been spoiled by rotten music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Venetia* wrote: »
    I didn't like the rumba (what rumba?) because it was so twee. Frankie & Kevin are the King & Queen of twee.
    The AT didn't work for me due to the music. Just think it works so much better with at least vaguely traditional music.
    So many of the dances this series have been spoiled by rotten music.

Beethoven's Fifth, alas, it was a travesty of the symphony.
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart25 wrote: »
    I thought it was fantastic. Could you point out what wasn't good about it?

The use of ballroom tango steps which are not part of AT.
    That terrible opening where he dragged her into a deep plank move which should have been a volcada but turned into an awful drop to the floor, which she could not get out of without hunching her back and coming up bent over. He had Frankie right off her axis but not in the correct manner.
    Kevin's lead, body posture, feet and shoulder line. Totally wrong for AT. Hopeless for a gentle but firm lead.
    Every single attempt to lead or execute planeos, paradas and boleos
    Virtually every leg movement and adorno Frankie tried and failed to do with precision and neat movements. Esential but absent
    Never ever finsihing a single move correctly or keeping feet together - essential AT technique - both failed at this.
    The totally inappropriate music which ruined any sense of musicality.
    Zero contact through the chest.
    Zero close or proper open hold.
    The badly led and badly executed leg wraps.
    Shall I go on?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Definition of 'twee' - sickeningly sweet. So Frankie and Kevin are sickeningly sweet. Right, that's their characters well and truly assassinated. Now what do you think of their dancing ability?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »

Totally. So inappropriate. Poor Beethoven.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    That terrible opening where he dragged her into a deep plank move which should have been a volcada but turned into an awful drop to the floor, which she could not get out of without hunching her back and coming up bent over. He had Frankie right off her axis but not in the correct manner.
    Kevin's lead, body posture, feet and shoulder line. Totally wrong for AT. Hopeless for a gentle but firm lead.
    Virtually every leg movement and adorno Frankie tried and failed to do with precision and neat movements. Esential but absent
    Never ever finsihing a single move correctly or keeping feet together - essential AT technique - both failed at this.
    Shall I go on?

Apart from all that, it was great. Certainly, Frankie was great, or at least as good as she could be in the circumstances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you are saying that Kevin Clifton choreographed that routine? Or saying that the choreographer was not someone you deem an expert?

Kev baby did put some of it together, but the other person who advised them is a ballroom showman and does not know AT from his elbow.

Jason Gilkison may know ballroom (Jennifer F - do you think he does?) but putting on flash shows like Burn the Floor and Dame Edna does not make him an AT expert.
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shall I go on?

It shall come as no surprise to you that I didn't see it like that at all :D Was Caroline's better in this respect? For me, Frankie's was miles ahead of Caroline's AT purely for the passion Frankie had in hers (and Caroline looked quite vacant)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from all that, it was great. Certainly, Frankie was great, or at least as good as she could be in the circumstances.

:D:D:D

Frankie is lovely and is a great little ballroom dancer but this ghastly AT was not her fault at all, and nobody taught her any decent AT.

She has not been well served by her pro. I wished she had been given somebody better. Kevin is an over-dancing clown and no teacher.
    Forum Member
    Well, I read your technical comments, sofakat, but they're comletely over my head. Problem is, the biggest majority of people watching and voting on Strictly are just ordinary Joe Public, like me, even those who pretend they know what they're talking about on here (not you, obviously). I don't have a clue what I'm watching really. It might be the biggest load of dance dross ever, but if it looks good to me.....
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It shall come as no surprise to you that I didn't see it like that at all :D Was Caroline's better in this respect? For me, Frankie's was miles ahead of Caroline's AT purely for the passion Frankie had in hers (and Caroline looked quite vacant)

Caroline & Pasha's AT was closer than most on SCD to traditional AT. There again SCD seem to think AT must be the show versions as demonstrated by Vincent & Flavia.
  • Cal ChristopherCal Christopher Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    She was stunning! A 9 for her Rumba and a 10 for her Argentine Tango from me! :D

Can I just ask what the f is wrong with Darcey?! The SAME score for Frankie's AT and Simon's awful Samba? Is she on crack?!
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

Frankie is lovely and is a great little ballroom dancer but this ghastly AT was not her fault at all, and nobody taught her any decent AT.

She has not been well served by her pro. I wished she had been given somebody better. Kevin is an over-dancing clown and no teacher.

Well said! Can't stand him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definition of 'twee' - sickeningly sweet. So Frankie and Kevin are sickeningly sweet. Right, that's their characters well and truly assassinated. Now what do you think of their dancing ability?

Their choices of characters/themes are twee. This says nothing about their own personalities. Whether the themes are of their own choice or forced upon them, I couldn't say. I like Frankie and think she is a good dancer but admit to not being a fan of Kevin's dancing.
    Forum Member
    First Frankie had dead eyes and now Caroline is vacant. And the insults just keep coming folks.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unforunately the lead in the AT was Kevin's fault. They have had some wonderful AT experts on SCD trying to show them how to do it and give helpful suggestions. Sadly, they are not always listened to.

This AT did not have an expert involved and it showed. I would have loved to had the chance to show Frankie how to use her legs and feet. I would have liked to have explained to Kevin how to walk, lead and find the connection he so clearly did not grasp.

Frankie is lovely, but she's not had the best teaching from the Grimsby Gerbil. She has a beautiful top line but from the waist down she is weak. Her Latin is not good and has not improved. Kevin is too into Kevin to ever be a good teacher. :(

I thought he was very poor . Of course the ridiculous overfast tempo of this music didn't help . He plonked himself flat footed on the floor for a lot of the dance . You could see he was a complete novice in the AT .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If what you saw pleased you, so be it. That's great. Nobody can tell you what to think.

Caroline's was choreographed by AT experts and was heaps better, but I think SCD watchers think what Flavia and her partner are the real thing so they want flash and endless lifts. They still think it's a version of the ballroom tango and Len's cockeyed view of gauchos has rather ruined the image.

I thought Frankie's had zero passion, but AT is not about head tossing and passion, it's about intense connection, gentleness and a deep connection with the music.

It is a dance of subtlety, grace and deep sensitivity, not a wham bang I hate you/love you/ I am pissed off with you tussle around the floor.

It is this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg-E6-USoAs
    Forum Member
    Fair enough, Venetia, you're right about Kevin. He is a bit hyper. And that's not a personal insult, although I would insult him if he stood still for long enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reem2011 wrote: »
    Well said! Can't stand him!

I would hate to dance with him. He makes my flesh crawl! Ugh!

Give me Artem or Alijaz any day! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally. So inappropriate. Poor Beethoven.

Great piece of music but totally wrong for the dance.

To produce a good dance you need to be able to feel it and without the right music it is never going to work.

I wish the producers would stop trying to be clever??? and just give the couples a chance to dance well with something that suits the style.
  • Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie and Kevin smashed it tonight.

O.K. according to what's said here, neither routine is a 'classic'
    and I was some way into their rumba when I realised I didn't know which dance I was watching,
    but they were two routines that I'm guessing would have invoked good emotional reactions and a fair few votes.
    I'm not a fan,I've been supporting Pasha and Caroline,but I got a warm feeling from Frankie's rumba (at least up to the floor drag when I had this thought about reinforced knickers) and the AT was a decent spectacle,so job done for Frankie and Kevin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel that some of you are getting carried away by all this techincal stuff. According to forum expert/BBC insider, vodka_drinker, Strictly is an entertainment show not a dance contest. Please stick to commenting about personalities from now on as dancing ability has no place on Strictly. Or at least that's what I've been told.

:D:D:D Yeah, I've heard that one too. Bizarre. Bit like playing the trumpet when you're tone deaf, can't read music and don't know how to handle the damn thing. Or even know how to blow.

I think perhaps SCD should invest in some cute handbags and they can just dance around them?
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D Yeah, I've heard that one too. Bizarre. Bit like playing the trumpet when you're tone deaf, can't read music and don't know how to handle the damn thing. Or even know how to blow.

I think perhaps SCD should invest in some cute handbags and they can just dance around them?

Nice analogy. I guess the ones who keep maintaining it's an entertainment show are those who vote with personal preference in mind rather than dancing ability. It's their way of justifying their choice.
  • *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,129
    Forum Member
    I'm still trying to understand what Frankie owned tonight. :confused: She competently danced two dances which would have been "wow" if it was week 5 but neither performance was worthy of a semi-final. I like Frankie and thought she had potential but, she seems to have plateaued and I'm unsure whether it's her fault or that of her self absorbed partner.