Options

Do you judge people based on the quality and care taken over Christmas gift wrapping?

rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
Forum Member
✭✭
I am not ashamed so say I do this and very rarely does it prove to be unfounded. I received a very slovenly wrapped secret santa at work and made an instant judgement call on who it was from. Turns out I was fully correct and the wrapping was both a reflection of the person and also the gift inside. (1/10)

In Japan they see the wrapping to be as equal importance as the gift itself. I have adopted this as a position myself and buy my graft wrapping items from WHSmiths and some art and craft supply shops. All my gifts are immaculately wrapped, colour matched bows and ribbons (fabric). I also write a hand written note using ink and a very fine art brush on delicate rice paper. Also I source an invisible sellotape the kind women use to keep their breasts in place. (10/10)

Comments

• Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I do.

I can't deal with people who put a gift in a gift bag that's obviously recycled and they didn't even put any tissue paper. Dahell man. I have no issue with the recycled bag, but surely you've got some tissue paper going astray!

If I'm honest, I don't like gift bags. I get that they're easy and some items are awkward to wrap the old fashioned way, but they're so lazy. Opening a gift bag just isn't the same feeling as tearing into gift paper wrapped socks.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I've found that people who spend too much time worrying about appearances lose out on the real joy of gift-giving.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in the slightest. One of the best presents I have ever got in my life had no wrapping at all as far as I remember.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm probably a bit of a reverse-snob when it comes to this if anything.
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do I judge people who judge people based on the quality and care taken over Christmas gift wrapping?

Yes I do and frankly if you're that kind of person, then you aren't worthy of my gift.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe slightly, but it's pretty quickly forgotten after unwrapping. The gift itself can make a somewhat more lasting impression.

I don't nitpick every small detail, but sometimes if it's unusually precise and artful, I can't help but notice. And if it's some rumpled up newspaper balled together with a little tape, I can't help but notice that either. Most gifts fall somewhere in between those extremes, of course, and I don't notice that much.
  • Options
    EnidanEnidan Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rufusrain wrote: »
    I am not ashamed so say I do this and very rarely does it prove to be unfounded. I received a very slovenly wrapped secret santa at work and made an instant judgment call on who it was from. Turns out I was fully correct and the wrapping both was both a reflection of the person and also the gift inside. (1/10)

In Japan they see the wrapping to be as equal importance as the gift itself. I have adopted this as a position myself and buy my graft wrapping items from WHSmiths and some art and craft supply shops. All my gifts are immaculately wrapped, colour matches bows and ribbons (fabric). I also write a hand written note using ink and a very fine art brush on delicate rice paper. Also I source an invisible sellotape the kind women use to keep their breasts in place. (10/10)

I'm not so worried about the gift wrapping, after reading this it's the women whose breasts are in the wrong place that concerns me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care as I just rip it off, I do my best to wrap them neatly but I never bother with bows and stuff.

I'm a bloke! ;-)
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doesn't matter how well you wrap something if it has been stuffed up your anus...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »

I don't nitpick every small detail, but sometimes if it's unusually precise and artful, I can't help but notice. And if it's some rumpled up newspaper balled together with a little tape, I can't help but notice that either. Most gifts fall somewhere in between those extremes, of course, and I don't notice that much.

It's interesting however that you do notice the two extremes. I feel if you saw that my gift was both precise and artful you would consider me in far higher esteem than at the other end of the scale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enidan wrote: »
    I'm not so worried about the gift wrapping, after reading this it's the women whose breasts are in the wrong place that concerns me.

It's not that breasts are in the wrong place they just want to keep them from popping out! Which some may consider a Christmas treat but I am sure others would not!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh .. Rufus shares another "Do you judge..." thread and the world stifles a yawn ..
  • Options
    Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought toupe tape was what women usually used to keep breasts in place? I use it, but mostly to keep my chest wig in place - really sets off the waps
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I hope no one judges me on the appearance of my parcels. I'm rubbish at wrapping.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Enidan wrote: »

I want to know where you get this miracle tape. :D

I don't JUDGE people on their wrapping efforts but I do appreciate a beautifully wrapped and decorated parcel. It gives me great pleasure to 'titivate' parcels after they are wrapped and to give a parcel that looks lovely. I like to see the beautifully decorated and shiny sparkly wrapped packages under the tree.

I also conscious that there is a hierarchy involved. Main presents get more attention, secondary gifts perhaps a bit of ribbon of a pre-made bow. My mother's gifts get the most love lavished on them. I pleat the paper and insert ribbon into the pleats, or cut out bits from other paper or fold paper and stick them on, or do my own calligraphy on the paper. It feels like my way of expressing her importance and my love.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    Lol is this a joke topic?

Who the eff cares about how it looks or if it's got tissue paper in? What bollocks.

When I get a gift, I take the wrapping off and assess the quality of the gift based on what it actually is. I won't even remember how it was wrapped. I think some people need a lesson in the concept of gratefulness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    I hope no one judges me on the appearance of my parcels. I'm rubbish at wrapping.

Here are some key points to keep in mind when wrapping your next gift:

Select a large, clean, hard surface (that means the back seat of the SUV is out). Try using your kitchen table.

Have a clean, empty box nearby to hold rolls of paper when they’re not in use.

Keep a small basket or plastic bin nearby with sharp scissors, gift tags, pens or markers, ribbon, bows, and anything else you like to use for adornments.

Get an office tape dispenser and load it up with double-sided transparent tape.

Because scissors never seem to cut a straight line, do what the pros do and fold a small amount of paper under to make a straight edge. Your wrapping will look tidier, and you’ll be able to match up the pattern.

Here's the step that'll put a subtle but professional touch on your gift: Before you add the ribbon and other embellishments, put a sharp crease on all the edges of the box. Run each edge between your thumb and the side of your forefinger.

Make sure that you use plenty of bows and ribbon, and consider attaching sprigs of greenery, bells, silk or real flowers, cookie cutters, or any other embellishments that seem appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlhCfmCSqQ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »

Who the eff cares about how it looks or if it's got tissue paper in? What bollocks.

When I get a gift, I take the wrapping off and assess the quality of the gift based on what it actually is. I won't even remember how it was wrapped. I think some people need a lesson in the concept of gratefulness.

I would advise you reassess this outlook if you ever move to Japan or date a Japanese girl.

Now you may find the following video of interest. It shows a gift being wrapped in Japan and you will see it's done a bit differently but with great care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qi8ZXUH_wY

Also those with a sharp eye may of noticed these extra details. 1st and 2nd tape - Just used the transparent sellotape to stop wrapping paper. which will be inside of the paper so you can not see from outside. 3rd tape - The last one will be outside of the wrapping paper so used decorated tape as an extra touch.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see that wrapping boxes might be easier to perfect, but what about a human head? A roughly round shape, and there may be blood.....could give a clue as to what is inside....
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I judge them as being good at wrapping presents. I don't judge them as being more worthy than me.
    pie-eyed wrote: »

So am I. Gift bags are a Godsend. I often can't lay my hands on gift tags even when I have the paper. My wrapped presents look like they have been put in with the laundry,

My friends know what I'm like and they don't value me for my present wrapping skills :)
  • Options
    Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nice wrapped gift does have a special aura surrounding it there is no doubt about that, imo.

But do I really care, no. Tbh I never expect a present from anyone so if I do receive one I'm just touched they've thought of me to give me one. How it is wrapped is the least of my concern especially as the wrapping paper just gets ripped off anyway. Perhaps if i was Japanese i'd be more anal about it, idk.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope people don't judge too much as I am shit at wrapping! :D
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope people don't judge too much as I am shit at wrapping! :D

We are the underclass.

I quite liked the idea in Gavin and Stacey - bacofoil and just scrunch it :)
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I couldn't care less.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »

Of course it's a joke topic, the OP is well known for their trollery and wind-upmanship.