Options

Womens Lib

Comments

• Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    I wonder if this militant feminism, this womens lib is actually destroying femininity ?

I was in a large clothing shop recently and waiting for someone. I began to look at the women coming and going.... almost all of them were wearing trousers... perhaps 2 out of 30 that I saw that day, were wearing a dress or skirt.
    Indeed the clothes on offer ( Matalan ) seemed mainly trousers.... and dark colours where were the feminine dresses ? where was the colour ?

Indeed even the nuclear family today seems to be morphing into the one parent family... the single parent ... which is almost becoming the norm in society.
    The womens libbers.... and Germaine Greer in particular... have a lot to answer for !
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Deleted.
  • Options
    kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Deleted.

I believe the Houses of Parliament were rebuilt in the 1800's following a fire. Op however is on a wind up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kim1994 wrote: »
    I believe the Houses of Parliament were rebuilt in the 1800's following a fire. Op however is on a wind up

Hence the deletion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Houses of Parliament were built in the 1840s and are what you could call... Victorian Gothic.... the building complex is a tribute to Victorian craftsman.

(and being built on the river it gives the MPs a means of escape in the event of riot and insurection )

Whats the wind up ? facts are facts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victorian times are known for typhoid, cholera, TB,poverty. Just like now really, some are rich and some are poor. Women sewing has jack all to do with it tbh.

Architecture I can only think of zaha Hadid who has made a mark, the rest of the modern buildings and inner city modern structures are designed by men eg: Fosters and Rogers.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    I wonder if this militant feminism, this womens lib is actually destroying femininity ?

I was in a large clothing shop recently and waiting for someone. I began to look at the women coming and going.... almost all of them were wearing trousers... perhaps 2 out of 30 that I saw that day, were wearing a dress or skirt.
    Indeed the clothes on offer ( Matalan ) seemed mainly trousers.... and dark colours where were the feminine dresses ? where was the colour ?

Indeed even the nuclear family today seems to be morphing into the one parent family... the single parent ... which is almost becoming the norm in society.
    The womens libbers.... and Germaine Greer in particular... have a lot to answer for !
    for real?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Houses of Parliament were built in the 1840s and are what you could call... Victorian Gothic.... the building complex is a tribute to Victorian craftsman.

(and being built on the river it gives the MPs a means of escape in the event of riot and insurection )

Whats the wind up ? facts are facts.

They were rebuilt in 1834, but they've been there in some form much longer.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This just about sums it all up
    A good wife always knows her place
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Has womens lib gone too far ? is womens lib and political correctness eroding the very foundations of family life and society?

The Victorian Era is now looked back upon with nostalgia.... with its great novelists and great painters, with its craftsmen and the great buildings that were erected back then
    ( the Houses of Parlement amongst them )

Compared with the greatness and elegance of the Victorian Era todays concrete cities and motorway world look crass and gross.

Back then women were the mothers and nurturers of society... they were busy in the home sewing, knitting, cooking and bringing up their brood of intelligent... well mannered children..... there was no political correctness, there was no womens lib.
    In the end their society was far more stable and harmonious than the nightmare that we are living in today.

Opium was also widely available, poor kids ended up in the workhouse, prostitution was rife and far more dangerous than today (even though it's not a very safe profession these days either), the church still had massive power, dysentery, syphilis, cholera and other diseases were rife too and petty crime was rampant too due to the lack of a welfare state and other social factors.

Sounds like a right laugh :D
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read some Dickens, OP! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    not to mention the violent gangs.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    You know, the last time I heard anyone say "women's lib" was probably around the same time as I heard someone say "knocking shop". Probably around 1978 or so.

The Goodies re-runs on BBC2 are quite an eye-opener. From just before the time when 'disco' became 'clubbing'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Opium was also widely available, poor kids ended up in the workhouse, prostitution was rife and far more dangerous than today (even though it's not a very safe profession these days either), the church still had massive power, dysentery, syphilis, cholera and other diseases were rife too and petty crime was rampant too due to the lack of a welfare state and other social factors.

Victorian buildings will still be standing when concrete tat has crumbled, English will still be a widely spoken language in the former colonies. Science and technology will still work.

FFS, just because some reactionary harks back to an imaginary past, is not good reason to adopt a revisionary view of history. The Victorians kicked ass.

What will 'The Coalition' or 'New Labour' be remembered for in 150 years time? If anything, for being not very good at anything at all.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Victorian buildings will still be standing when concrete tat has crumbled, English will still be a widely spoken language in the former colonies. Science and technology will still work.

FFS, just because some reactionary harks back to an imaginary past, is not good reason to adopt a revisionary view of history. The Victorians kicked ass.

What will 'The Coalition' or 'New Labour' be remembered for in 150 years time? If anything, for being not very good at anything at all.
    What captainkremmen said was accurate and in context of this thread, not revisionary (IMO). No one's claimed there were no achievements but are just commenting in the context of the OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

I never said any different :eek::eek:
    I was countering the OPs rose tinted view of the Victorian age that is all. With the good, came the bad just as it does today.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apples and oranges. You're comparing the scientific (etc) achievements of people living in the Victorian era with the acts of governments. Our age will be remembered for a sh1tload of technological advancement too, I'd reckon. Unless you think Gladstone invented the steam engine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Apples and oranges. You're comparing the scientific (etc) achievements of people living in the Victorian era with the acts of governments. Our age will be remembered for a sh1tload of technological advancement too, I'd reckon. Unless you think Gladstone invented the steam engine.

Of course it's apples and oranges!

I was, of course, trying to point out that reactionary views don't have exclusive ownership of the past they hark back to.

Still, anyone who doesn't run on the railroad tracks of DS:GD debate convention must be in need of education I suppose.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt people will talk of 2nd Elizabethan age. All those computers and electronic things got invented plus man travelled to the moon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You_mo wrote: »
    No doubt people will talk of 2nd Elizabethan age. All those computers and electronic things got invented plus man travelled to the moon.

I hope so. :)

I was just trying to say that the Victorians come in for some easy pot-shots from people who claim 20:20 hindsight. It's not fair on them to paint them as oranges because you disagree with someone who paints them as apples.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You_mo wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5MVVtFYTSo&feature=related
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ah it`s not like the good old days when you could lob a couple of shillings at the mrs on pay day, drink the rest and then go home and batter her .
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh dear. J'accuse. Uncalled for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ah it`s not like the good old days when you could lob a couple of shillings at the mrs on pay day, drink the rest and then go home and batter her .

Why no it isn't, but what's your point, other than painting a scene as if from a Victorian sentimentalist melodrama? :D