power ball

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
anyone used a power ball before?

http://powerballs.com/images/page-index/big-powerball.jpg

bought one today and wondered if it will help with strength or even build a bit of muscle ..or is it just a novelty type thing?

:)

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Useless IMO. If you want to build up hand strength and your forearms, look at getting some Captain of Crush or an Ivanko super gripper.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Never used one to build muscles before, but they do a damn good job cleaning my dishes in the dishwasher.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they were more for wrist rehab.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I have one. Used it everyday for about a week and not seen it since.

The novelty wears off pretty quick!

The only thing i can say is that if you are like me and dont work out your arms that often then you really start to feel it even after only a few minutes! I didnt use it long enough to see any real difference though. Im not sure how it helps improve grip though as it claims. It does feel awkward to use for a start and took me a while to get the hang of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I got one a few years ago to help strengthen my arm after I'd fractured it. I used it for a couple of days but couldn't keep the bloody thing spinning so it's in its box somewhere about the house unloved and unused.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wasn't expecting miracles but something would have been good, looking at the grippers i'm probably not going to be able to do those they look quite intimidating haha.

i can keep it spinning it but also struggle with it after a couple of minutes :p

oh well will keep on with it for a bit just 'cause.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    starfoxxx wrote: »
    wasn't expecting miracles but something would have been good, looking at the grippers i'm probably not going to be able to do those they look quite intimidating haha.

i can keep it spinning it but also struggle with it after a couple of minutes :p

oh well will keep on with it for a bit just 'cause.

I struggle with keeping the same rythm so it keeps spinning.

I found a website that showed how you work out your arms with it, involving putting your arm in certain positions and then spinning it to work out different muscles. When you do that you can feel the burn, just dont do it in view of people lol :D
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Due to its endurance nature, it won't build muscle. If you used for a prolonged period, consistently, frequently and for a suitable duration, you may improve your wrist and grip strength, but unless its for a very specific purpose (rock climber, chef who does a lot of mixing, drummer who wants to extend the length of his drumming set) then it's no more than a novelty.

(The exception being it's useful for rehab purposes)