Car Battery Charger

KunashKunash Posts: 1,144
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there such a thing as a car battery charger, that is portable, doesnt need to be plugged into the mains, or another car, and is very quick at starting the car?

( for example if you are going on a long holiday, and leaving your car for 6 weeks )

i have looked on the halfords site and i think they do one but it takes up to 6 hours to charge, which isnt very practical for that situation

( i guess another option would be to join the AA but is there a charger?)

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can't have it all! if you want something that doesn't need plugging in it will have to have a big accumulator battery in it (like the halfords one). it will need to be charged. why is it a problem that it takes 6 hours to charge?(that is probably only when new or completely exhausted anyway.)

and just being nosey where are you leaving your car for 6 weeks? if it's at home what's the problem with having a mains powered charger/starter?

if it's in an airport car park why are you leaving a car there for so long?
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get solar-powered trickle chargers - leave it on the dashboard & plugged into the cigarette lighter, it keeps the battery topped up whenever the sun's out. No idea how effective they are though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    i would be interested to know if a modern car with a good battery wouldnt start after 6 weeks , or is it not modern with a good battery ? :o
  • B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might be a possible solution. Just make sure it's charged before you go, pop it in the back of your car, and jump start it when you get back if you need to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would be interested to know if a modern car with a good battery wouldnt start after 6 weeks , or is it not modern with a good battery ? :o

the car manufacturer i work for (without naming names) states in their free breakdown cover booklet that they wont cover a non starting vehicle thats left standing for more than 6 weeks as the battery is expected to drain (bearing in mind even though the engine is switched off there are still systems working).
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B3aten wrote: »
    This might be a possible solution. Just make sure it's charged before you go, pop it in the back of your car, and jump start it when you get back if you need to.
    Not exactly favourable reviews, though: there is one five-star review saying it's fantastic, but also seven one-star reviews and two two-star saying it's pretty much useless.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000R5F7Z6/ref=pr_all_summary_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geordiesi wrote: »
    the car manufacturer i work for (without naming names) states in their free breakdown cover booklet that they wont cover a non starting vehicle thats left standing for more than 6 weeks as the battery is expected to drain (bearing in mind even though the engine is switched off there are still systems working).

disconnect the battery, then it wont discharge
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich243 wrote: »
    disconnect the battery, then it wont discharge

exactly - sorry, i forgot to type that bit out - thats what i was getting at....

apologies - im working nightshift so the brain isnt really functioning...

:(
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you are leaving the car at home - can someone else not start the car for you.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Airport car parks have a free service to jumpstart your car.

I have the booster mentioned in the review. It's saved me once or twice when the battery was just low but last time we went to Spain and left the interior light on for a week it couldn't cut it.

For 6 weeks I'd agree with disconnecting the battery.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes batteries can get knacked in 6 weeks. Disconnect or take the fuses out or the radio/alarm/central locking. See your car manual.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unplugging the car battery: If your car is fitted with an Alarm, it may trigger when you do this (depends on design of alarm). The Alarm can keep going even without the battery attached (uses a backup power cell). After leaving the car without the battery connected, the car audio system will most likely lose all its settings inc radio station pre-sets, and it may also go into SAFE mode. On reconnecting the battery, you may need the security code number to unlock the audio system.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why do people ask questions then not bother to come back?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Jump Packs like the one linked to on Amazon are your best bet. At the college I go to, the workshop has about a dozen cars and barely any of the batteries have a charge so we use a jump pack to start them. They knacker easily though if they're not looked after properly.
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »

Was just thinking the same. Most annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »

perhaps hes pushing his car to a garage still...

;)
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    TinMachine wrote: »
    Jump Packs like the one linked to on Amazon are your best bet. At the college I go to, the workshop has about a dozen cars and barely any of the batteries have a charge so we use a jump pack to start them. They knacker easily though if they're not looked after properly.

I worried about how long the battery would last as it's stored fully charged. It's been fine for a year but I imagine it won't last forever.