Options

One Sweet Day... "Only #1 in New Zealand"??!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
Forum Member
What was all that about tonight? One Sweet Day was a tenuous song choice tonight because it only made #1 in new Zealand?

It was Mariah's 10th #1 (out of a current total of 18) in the US. It was #1 for 16 weeks; Americas longest-running #1 of all time.

OK so it was still a crappy song choice for John, but still, I think a few lambs and a certain diva are seething!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lamo just shows you Simon can be clueless about music at times .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Literally had me shouting at the TV! Not only a US #1, but the longest running of all time!!
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    medulla_86 wrote: »
    Literally had me shouting at the TV! Not only a US #1, but the longest running of all time!!

Me too. They are really showing themselves up this year. Simon just showed that he doesn't know as much about music as he tries to make out. Plus Louis wasn't even sure about it himself. Surely if the judges picked the songs they would know where they were number one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I was irritated by this is that Billionaire, which FYD performed, wasn't number anywhere except the Netherlands.

So Simon can talk :p:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    An #1 is a #1. Don't know wtf he was talking about :confused:

The other wtf moment was when he said something like "Mary, I can see you took inspiration from Cheryl tonight". Errr ok then Simon :confused:...
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snoopy10 wrote: »
    Billionaire, which FYD performed, wasn't number 1 anywhere except the Netherlands.

Actually it was the UK #1 a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was also shouting at the computer screen when Simon made the comment about the Boys II Men song. I was like ''IT WAS #1 FOR 16 WHOLE WEEKS IN THE US!!"
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't know the song but if that's true... wow - pretty much confirms Simon Cowell's ignorance of music.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Actually it was the UK #1 a few weeks ago.

No it reached #3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shocked that Simon didn't know that this song was a MASSIVE No.1 hit in America. And Louis didn't seem to be 100%sure either.
  • Options
    prasanthprasanth Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not only is this worrying, but it also ridicules the show.

For someone who is meant to have his finger on popular music, how could he not know how huge that particular song was?! I mean to say a song was barely a number one, when it actually held the record for the longest time a song has spent at number 1 is ridiculous.

What else has Simon said that is simply false?! Oh that's right, he also said 2 years ago that there was nothing special about Beyonce , but then when she came to perform on the show, he couldn't stop going on about her.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delboy85 wrote: »
    I was shocked that Simon didn't know that this song was a MASSIVE No.1 hit in America. And Louis didn't seem to be 100%sure either.

Louis knew it was a hit for Mariah and Boyz II Men though,which I bet Simon didn't :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An #1 is a #1. Don't know wtf he was talking about :confused:

The other wtf moment was when he said something like "Mary, I can see you took inspiration from Cheryl tonight". Errr ok then Simon :confused:...

But did you see cheryls face lmao!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon and the producers are total idiots. How could you mistake the biggest song in US history as not being no.1
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    No it reached #3

I stand corrected. Perhaps I had it confused with Bruno Mars' solo single making #1.