"Misfits" Star found guilty of attack

Comments

• KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    4 months in jail, ouch!! I saw her in an interview once and it was quite obvious she was just Kelly in real life. In fact if anything, her misfits character is probably nicer than her :D

I've worked with her before and she was very down to earth, friendly, warm. This is a shock though.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Kingsy wrote: »
    I've worked with her before and she was very down to earth, friendly, warm. This is a shock though.

It wasn't a shock to me and I haven't even worked with her.
  • KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    It wasn't a shock to me and I haven't even worked with her.

With respect, you don't know her.
    Forum Member
    With respect, you don't know her.

Looks like I knew her better than you did :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've always suspected that the phrase, 'down to earth' was a euphemism for, 'common as muck'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from Mr Boring, none of the original Misfits are going to be in the next series, are they?
    You know how Lauren Socha has got community service now? I'm just wondering if she's going to be picking up rubbish wearing an orange boiler suit with Community Payback on it.
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »
    Apart from Mr Boring, none of the original Misfits are going to be in the next series, are they?
    You know how Lauren Socha has got community service now? I'm just wondering if she's going to be picking up rubbish wearing an orange boiler suit with Community Payback on it.

Haha, well I stopped watching it once Nathan left. Think it jumped the shark a little.

He was by far my favourite character. All his one liners were hillarious.
  • -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member

If the new characters are as good as Rudy (who I think is 100x better than Nathan ever was) it should be alright. They developed his character more in one episode than they did Curtis' in three series. Shame 'cause he's a good actor; based on interviews I've seen his mannerisms and how he speaks in real life is nothing like Curtis.

The only problem is, they better not try to recreate Simon, Alisha and Kelly's characters, but with new actors. Rudy's lines could easily have been applied to Nathan, and it was more a credit to Joe Gilgun than anything else that the character ended up appearing completely different, because he delivered those lines in such a different way to Robert Sheehan and made them more about being naive than being a dick.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I've seen it before when people who've had a few beers get paranoid about the motives of taxi drivers and think they're being taken on a long detour. She probably thought the taxi driver recognised her and was trying to make money out of her or something like that. And that flipped the abuse switch. At 21 she should be able to get past it and write the event off as a mistake of youth.

That might go a small way towards explaining her getting upset but it doesn't begin to explain the offensive and racist language she used. Two totally separate things. Unless that bigotry is there in the first place, no amount of booze or upset will bring it out.

Absolutely disgusting and no excuse for it. And I'll save my sympathy for the driver and his right to be able to do his job without having to deal with this type of crap.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come to think of it the only original member left of Misfits is Curtis. I hope he asks for a pay rise! :D In fact, i wonder what he thought about the whole thing considering he worked with Lauren day in day out on the series.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    I've seen it before when people who've had a few beers get paranoid about the motives of taxi drivers and think they're being taken on a long detour. She probably thought the taxi driver recognised her and was trying to make money out of her or something like that. And that flipped the abuse switch. At 21 she should be able to get past it and write the event off as a mistake of youth.

Sorry, but I am also 21 and completely disagree. If anything, this generation (mine) should surely be less prejudiced due to the changing times we live in? I quite frequently get annoyed at taxi drivers and suspect them of being a bit dodgy, but no matter how much I had to drink, I would never bring their race into the equation.

Fair enough, in time she probably will (and maybe already has) learn from her mistakes, but at the age of 21 I don't think 'youth' can be factored into that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is hilarious to me since her brother Michael Socha from Being Human posted ;'i hate racists' on his twitter on tuesday then deleted it the day this broke out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Come to think of it the only original member left of Misfits is Curtis. I hope he asks for a pay rise! :D In fact, i wonder what he thought about the whole thing considering he worked with Lauren day in day out on the series.

But he was so boring. If there was one character that they could have got rid of it was him. Actually Alisha was quite boring too, but had the virtue of being pretty.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing her on The Xtra Factor once and she came across as being exactly like her character. On the other hand, the other girl (Alicia?) always comes across well in interviews
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is hilarious to me since her brother Michael Socha from Being Human posted ;'i hate racists' on his twitter on tuesday then deleted it the day this broke out.

I never knew they were related (I don't tend to look at the actors' names in the credits), but now you mention it, they really do look like brother and sister, and they've got the same accent.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    The only good thing about this is that she acknowledged her guilt and didn't pull out that old 'but I work with black people so I can't be racist'-card.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    The only good thing about this is that she acknowledged her guilt and didn't pull out that old 'but I work with black people so I can't be racist'-card.

She originally denied the assault but changed her plea at the last minute - no doubt because the evidence against her was overwhelming!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. Can't let the fact that I like her character in Misfits get in the way of the fact that she committed a pretty awful crime. I think it may be quite a while before she wins another BAFTA...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully this will be the last we hear of her.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew they were related (I don't tend to look at the actors' names in the credits), but now you mention it, they really do look like brother and sister, and they've got the same accent.

I live in the area of Derby where they live and no one here speaks like Lauren, it's a highly desirable area with the some of the best state schools. Even young people from some of the rougher parts of Derby don't speak like that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissFit wrote: »
    Hopefully this will be the last we hear of her.

Yeah, anyone who has ever committed a crime should just go off into a corner and die.
    There's no such thing as contrition or reform. Once a criminal, always a criminal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her Brother is yummy :)
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Rose*~* wrote: »

Actually she initially denied the racist attack, and but then changed her plea to guilty after the taxi driver had taped her rant. She made a deal, and avoided actual jail time.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    Her Brother is yummy :)

I think they look exactly the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is happening to Lauren has strange parallels with Misfits. She got in trouble because of her savage temper, and ended up doing community service because of it. And her power was also a punishment, because when you are so sensitive and quick to anger, the ability to know what others think of you is a curse.
    Now all she has to do is redeem herself.