ITV News Regions

Comments

• jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    epm-84 wrote: »
    Also from what I understand in terms of viewing figures London Tonight and Granada Reports are the only English regions where the ITV regional news viewing figures are competitive against the BBC regional news viewing figures so ITV don't need to change anything in those regions.

:confused: London Tonight gets absolutely hammered by BBC London news, often getting double the viewers.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Perhaps the Anglia editor thought viewers would want to travel to the 02 in London or to Nottingham.I don't see the point of including items from another region (unless it's an overlap area served by two regions) it defeats the whole object of regional or local television. Surely if you have a studio crew and contributors ready for a 20-minute programme it makes little difference to extend it to 30-minutes.

It means each of those people would have to work 50% more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    :confused: London Tonight gets absolutely hammered by BBC London news, often getting double the viewers.

Depends what measure you use. If you look at number of viewers then BBC London does win massively. But if you compare share, it is a lot closer because the total audience is smaller at 6 than it is at 6.30.

400,000 viewers at 6pm is an audience share of 15%. But 750,000 viewers half an hour later is only a 20% share.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyne Tees seems to be more known then Look North in the North East region, The news have gone downhill but few has noticed.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyne Tees seems to be more known then Look North in the North East region, The news have gone downhill but few has noticed.

Of course in the days of legendary anchor Mike Neville the BBC dominated the north-east and Tyne Tees had to pay him huge sums of money (even by today's standards) to join them.
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    I'd like to know how many viewers ITV News Meridian gets versus South/South East Today. This was the most 'mothballed' of all ITV news services back in 2009.
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Of course in the days of legendary anchor Mike Neville the BBC dominated the north-east and Tyne Tees had to pay him huge sums of money (even by today's standards) to join them.

When Cumbria was transferred to the BBC North West region in late-1986 there was a mass uproar amongst viewers, whixh the BBC hoped would die down. It didn't, and in 1991 Cumbria once again came under BBC North East's remit. Many of the viewers didn't take too kindly to North West Tonight with S***** H*** and made it known to the BBC in no uncertain terms.

At that time there was a feature on Look North called Write to Mike and a few days after Cumbria had switched from BBC North East to BBC North West viewers served by the Haltwhistle relay wrote to Mike Neville asking why they couldn't see him any more. Most of the transmitters in Northumberland took their BBC feed from either Chatton or Pontop Pike, but Haltwhistle was the exception as it was fed by Caldbeck. Mike actually explained this on-air and pledged that "he'd do something about it", and sure enough within several days of the item airing a team of engineers arrived at Haltwhistle to change the mast's BBC feed so that it was fed from Pontop Pike, which featured as a story on that night's Look North. Whether or not Mike really had any clout in this I don't know, but it made for a good story at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to know how many viewers ITV News Meridian gets versus South/South East Today. This was the most 'mothballed' of all ITV news services back in 2009.

The ratings by sub-region aren't published. I'm not sure they are even measured.
  • acmoldacmold Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    Tyne Tees is not "fully sub-regional" -- Tyne Tees South (established 1976) is the only sub region in England that was not brought back in September. And the pan-regional programme is only 20 minutes.

Sadly Central (South) has never re-appeared and anything since is demise has been a very poor substitute and not watched by many in this area
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    The ratings by sub-region aren't published. I'm not sure they are even measured.

I read somewhere that viewers from the Beckley (Oxford) area though not receiving Central other than in HD are still counted as watching Central News in statistics as the adverts are still done by Central.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    So why does Central West only have 20 minutes, when the West Midlands as I understand it to be the second most populated area outside of London?

This document on page 6 gives population by BBC regions:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/01_12_08_changinguk.pdf

London is the biggest by far at 11.5m. The North West is second at 6.7, with the West Midlands third at 5.9. All of these BBC regions are the same as for ITV. The fourth biggest BBC region in England is the South with 4.8 and this will equate to Meridian South/Meridian Thames Valley. So yes you could argue that the West Midlands gets a bit of raw deal on ITV in comparison with the North West.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC does separate regional programmes for Yorkshire and Lincolnshire and for the south-east which ITV does not do.Rather confusingly BARB combines the Leeds and Hull BBC programmes into one.
    Forum Member
    This document on page 6 gives population by BBC regions:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/01_12_08_changinguk.pdf

London is the biggest by far at 11.5m. The North West is second at 6.7, with the West Midlands third at 5.9. All of these BBC regions are the same as for ITV. The fourth biggest BBC region in England is the South with 4.8 and this will equate to Meridian South/Meridian Thames Valley. So yes you could argue that the West Midlands gets a bit of raw deal on ITV in comparison with the North West.

Living in the area and driving around it a lot I can't help but think the Beckley / Oxford area which BBC / ITV thinks it covers may well have diminished over the years with the lack of local news and viewers actually watching neighbouring regions instead,

Even in Oxford itself at least 5 transmitters can be received on higher ground and in certain roads despite Beckley being on 3 or 4 miles away aerials point in all directions. Certainly where I live an outside aerial pointed at Beckley would now pick up Sandy Heath on near full strength and maybe even Sutton Coldfield and Hannington off of the back of it.

Also surely much of what is deemed Hannington's area is also in the north and east covered by Crystal Palace with many pointing their aerials to CP instead of Hannington
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot remember the last time I saw ITV news national or local. I always watch local BBC News or Sky for national. I think in the Anglia region we get Meridian weather forecasts anyway, as much good a looking at the weather from the Outer Hebrides:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I cannot remember the last time I saw ITV news national or local. I always watch local BBC News or Sky for national. I think in the Anglia region we get Meridian weather forecasts anyway, as much good a looking at the weather from the Outer Hebrides:mad:

Apparently the Hebrides get quite a good service from BBC Scotland and BBC Alba.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just an update on the Central Sunday evening update:

Two stories, one about the Phillipines and Melson Mandela, then sport then weather. Well at least the midlands got their regional news this Sunday evening . :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky has today closed its single regional news service, Sky Tyne & Wear, due to lack of demand.
  • CybersiCybersi Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    ITV Anglia last week dealt with flooding on Thursday evening by going pan-regional in the last 10 mins of the 6pm show (inc pan regional weather) in order to take a live report from the coast as the water was rising.

Had they have not done this I feel Anglia West viewers (who took the recorded version) would have been very much short changed with the earlier OB to studio recorded report which, even without a 'live' caption, felt was live to the average viewer and would have been by then 30/45 minutes old in this developing story.

Can ITV regional bulletins decide to go pan regional in their entirety should a story become that big?
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's also possible to be pan regional at the top as well as/instead of the end. calendar often do that.
  • CybersiCybersi Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Yes, it's also possible to be pan regional at the top as well as/instead of the end. calendar often do that.

I should add they did crash the junction to pan regional early as they still had the East back view (I assume Norwich) in shot for a moment but that's just something for us geeks to spot(and enjoy)!
  • pompeyfmpompeyfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Meridian use the same backdrop (Maidstone bridge?) for all of their sub-regions
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Must be nice for people to be back at work at ITV regional news today :)
    What was the point of that post, other than bumping your own thread?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cybersi wrote: »
    Can ITV regional bulletins decide to go pan regional in their entirety should a story become that big?

Was going to quote a answer this, but don't want to upset someone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the point of that post, other than bumping your own thread?

I was working on a reply to a question actually, so for your sake, I won't bother now.