out of date alcohol?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just found 12 cans of pimms with lemonde that i bought ages ago the thing is they went out of date in june and i was wondering will they still be alright to drink? going out at the weekend but i don't want to make myself/friends sick with my gone off pimms :blush:

Comments

• Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drink and be happy :D
    I drink and eat loads of stuff that is out of date and have lived to tell the tale.
    My ex husband however.....;-)
  • naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Canned drinks would probably have a "Best Before", rather than a "Use By" so will be pefectly safe. The taste MAY not be at it's best, but if you're going to drink Pimms & lemonade, you're probably not too worried about taste.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got a pack of mince pies from last year in the fridge.

Keeping them now for any Carol Singers that doorstep me.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    naquada wrote: »
    Canned drinks would probably have a "Best Before", rather than a "Use By" so will be pefectly safe.

True.
    naquada wrote: »
    The taste MAY not be at it's best, but if you're going to drink Pimms & lemonade, you're probably not too worried about taste.

Even more true. :D
  • DahuDahu Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Be careful. I drank 12 cans of out of date Stella on Friday and felt awful the next day.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starfoxxx wrote: »
    I've just found 12 cans of pimms with lemonde that i bought ages ago the thing is they went out of date in june and i was wondering will they still be alright to drink? going out at the weekend but i don't want to make myself/friends sick with my gone off pimms :blush:
    They'll be fine but the general rule is once you've opened the first it's best to drink all of them.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    As with anything, 'best before', or 'use by'?
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starfoxxx wrote: »

June might be alight I found cans of cider Apr 2013 I decided not to risk it.
  • AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hijack thread, but I also have an alcohol query. Someone bought me a bottle of some kind of fizz (I don't have it in front of me but from memory it had "Brut" on the label) for my 21st birthday 18 years ago. We've never got round to opening it. Is this the sort of thing that would go off or would it be safe to drink now?
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anybodies willing to risk it i have some 'Jack Ratt Scrumpy Cider' under my desk. It's about 3 years old. I suspect after drinking the 2 bottles it would involve a night of Singing for Europe and probably stuck on the bog all night...which to be fair would be same effect if it was new :D
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack thread, but I also have an alcohol query. Someone bought me a bottle of some kind of fizz (I don't have it in front of me but from memory it had "Brut" on the label) for my 21st birthday 18 years ago. We've never got round to opening it. Is this the sort of thing that would go off or would it be safe to drink now?

Cheaper champagne should be drunk within 3 to 5 years. Also if it was stored upright its likely the cork has dried out.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    baileys might be tricky. not sure how quickly dairy goes off. I expect pimms will be fine.

you have to bear in mind there is bound to be a "safe" time anyway. food isn't good one day, and deadly the next.
  • eva_prioreva_prior Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    June 2014 should be fine.

I recently got served a bottle of ginger beer in an Austrian bar that was about 20 years past its bbd. I only realised/checked the date when I spat out the rank tasting drink!
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They even put use by dates on rock salt
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    They even put use by dates on rock salt

Well, if it's too old you might have to break the lump up with a hammer before using it.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beware:

Although alcohol doesn't generally expire (anything stronger than beer), pre-mixed cans will be comparatively 'low' in alcohol (around 4% by volume).

My Dad had a can of Fosters or Carling (4% lager) which had expired by several months. It made him very ill and it subsequently turned out that loads of mould had started growing in the can.

Anything stronger than beer, then fine, but anything weaker and bacteria can grow like in anything else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Cheaper champagne should be drunk within 3 to 5 years. Also if it was stored upright its likely the cork has dried out.

:D Brut is a pretty nasty aftershave I think you might have missed the joke :blush:
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    This thread's reminded me I really must get around to drinking my 1966 Fonseca vintage port.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Brut is a pretty nasty aftershave I think you might have missed the joke :blush:

If it was good enough for Enery Cooper and Kevin Keegan, I'd drink it!
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    baileys might be tricky. not sure how quickly dairy goes off. I expect pimms will be fine.

you have to bear in mind there is bound to be a "safe" time anyway. food isn't good one day, and deadly the next.

Sadly a lot of people believe that to be the case, though, and throw out perfectly edible food (and drink).
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Beware:

Although alcohol doesn't generally expire (anything stronger than beer), pre-mixed cans will be comparatively 'low' in alcohol (around 4% by volume).

My Dad had a can of Fosters or Carling (4% lager) which had expired by several months. It made him very ill and it subsequently turned out that loads of mould had started growing in the can.

Anything stronger than beer, then fine, but anything weaker and bacteria can grow like in anything else.

It has to be in there in the first place, that beer would have been unsafe even if not expired. The fault lies with the manufacturers making an unsafe product. I hope he sued those responsible.

EDIT: I should added the can may have been damaged post sale.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    Well, if it's too old you might have to break the lump up with a hammer before using it.
    If it's from the UK then it's likely to be Zechstein and about 260 million years old already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accidentally bought a month out of date plastic bottle of cider the other day and had to pour the lot down the sink. :(
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    PJ2 wrote: »
    I accidentally bought a month out of date plastic bottle of cider the other day and had to pour the lot down the sink. :(

Why? Remember that alcohol sterilises drinks so bugs don't grow in the drinks. If air had go to it it could have acidified, but otherwise would have been fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can categorically state that 12 year old Stella can taste fine.
    I checked all 6 of them to make sure. :D