Options

House Spiders

PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
Forum Member
✭✭
Allow me a whinge. How bloody big and horrible are these things? That's rhetorical by the way. And is it the season for them or something? My god, we've had heaps in the house, they're usually in the kitchen really early in the morning when we get up for work. There was a very big one there this morning so I just grabbed my coffee and left. :o

Now I know I'm from the land of big and dangerous spiders but I swear I never had so many spiders actually in the house until I lived here.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE spiders - I think it comes from Charlotte's web. Shall I come round and bring them to my house? :D

We had one living with us called Alfred but then he left - I wonder if we'll get another this year?
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There does seem to be a lot more around this year than normal.

I left a mug on the coffee table last night, got up this morning and a spider had made a web on it! :D
  • Options
    drumdrum Posts: 3,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave the spiders alone, they are keeping your home fly free.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    September 'tis the month for the house spiders I'm afraid!!!

I just let my kitten kill mine (If they are too big for me to put them outside that is :o)
  • Options
    drumdrum Posts: 3,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    There does seem to be a lot more around this year than normal.

I left a mug on the coffee table last night, got up this morning and a spider had made a web on it! :D

Tramploines on yer coffee cup?

cool:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drum wrote: »

Drum, I gotta say I think I prefer the bloody flies. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tramploines on yer coffee cup?

cool:D

I have to wave a broomstick out of the front door every morning so I don't get a faceful of web when I go outside.

Spiders themselves don't bother me, I just wish they would be a bit more considerate about where the build there webs!
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Drum, I gotta say I think I prefer the bloody flies. :o

Me too.....a friend described the big ones as 'having elbows'... I know exactly what he means
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE spiders - I think it comes from Charlotte's web. Shall I come round and bring them to my house? :D

We had one living with us called Alfred but then he left - I wonder if we'll get another this year?

I just bought Charlotte's Web to send to my 7 year old niece. That was a small spider though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Spiders in our house used to be about 1cm long. This year they are 5 times the size. has anyone else seen the change?
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I have to wave a broomstick out of the front door every morning so I don't get a faceful of web when I go outside.

Spiders themselves don't bother me, I just wish they would be a bit more considerate about where the build there webs!

Oh, I hate that. It's always happening to me. The neighbours must wonder why I frequently go through some sort of flailing about ritual outside the front door, when actually I'm trying to rid myself of bloody web all over my face.:mad:
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Now I know I'm from the land of big and dangerous spiders but I swear I never had so many spiders actually in the house until I lived here.
    Go on.... admit it... you bought the buggers with you..... :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a thread somewhere on House spiders, I'm petrified of the bloody things :o

edit- here ya go
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=890944
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we don't get Hunstmen spiders over here - something you arachnophobes should be grateful for at least!!

The sight of one of them falling out of your pyjama bottoms is one you will never forget :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They ruin my life :(
  • Options
    McDancin' FeetMcDancin' Feet Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Flies? What flies? It's been too blimmin' cold for flies where I live! That's why the giant spiders are coming into my house too! :eek:
  • Options
    ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Allow me a whinge. How bloody big and horrible are these things? That's rhetorical by the way. And is it the season for them or something? My god, we've had heaps in the house, they're usually in the kitchen really early in the morning when we get up for work. There was a very big one there this morning so I just grabbed my coffee and left. :o

You big wuss. Our spiders are friendly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we have bloody loads in our house too.......i put it down to the fact that we're doing up our attic and they just got disturbed but maybe its just the time year for them! HATE THEM HATE THEM!!

and they are getting bigger and bigger! i need my hubby to get rid of them for me! i actually freeze.......well if i don't have time to run away first! i'm getting shivers just thinking about them! YUK!!
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Late summer / early autumn is breeding season for house spiders. They pop out in the evening looking for a mate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Late summer / early autumn is breeding season for house spiders. They pop out in the evening looking for a mate.

Aha, that's why we catch them in the house just before the sun comes up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Try leaving conkers - the fresher the better - around the house. That should do the trick.
  • Options
    MonkeyBumMonkeyBum Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try leaving conkers - the fresher the better - around the house. That should do the trick.

What does that do?:confused:

We actually don't have that many in our house. I don't mind small spiders but if they get any bigger than a pin head, I start screaming :D

We've been getting loads of daddy long legs though :( I think they're worse because they fly right in your face. At least spiders are more sly about being a squatter :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got a huge spider living behind the loo. He comes out in the evening, and when we flush, he scuttles back behind the loo. He likes to make webs from the back of the loo to the toilet brush holder and sometimes ventures out as far as the wash hand basin. He ran up my daughter's leg a couple of weeks ago and she screamed! (big wuss)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people say these things are emerging because they were already lurking in your house. Others say they enter at this time. You can only do so much:

i) Keep all windows shut, especially in the evenings
    ii) Keep all doors, internal and external, shut
    iii) Push rolled-up towels under all external doors at night
    iv) Fill wash basins with water

They do enter the house at night. I literally *heard* one falling onto my carpet a few summers ago after it came in through the window I had inadvertently left open.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Ive posted in defence of spiders quite a few times on here, all the spider rant/hatred/fear threads is quite tiresome.. I can see why some people get fed up of the religion threads now..