The Matt Cardle Appreciation Thread (Part 49)

Comments

• piebaldladypiebaldlady Posts: 5,249
    Forum Member
    Would Matt have a right to leave though if they weren't letting him take the next album in the direction he wanted. There's a post on MF that says under the technicalities .the vast majority of record deals are "one album" deals with the record label having the option of picking up a further 4. That means the label has no commitment beyond the first one but the artist does. When someone is dropped, it's simply a case of the label not picking up that option. :confused:

Looking at it from my very basic understandings I would have thought that either party would be free to walk away from the table at that point? From what we know, discussions were held n it was Matt's decision as it didn't meet with his vision for his music ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I HEAR MATT CARDLE has parted company with his label Columbia following the end of his contract. The X factor 2010 winner who had a number one hit with his debut When We Collide, is currently in Los Angeles where he is recording new material. Matt, 29 wants to take his career in a different direction. A source close to the Essex hottie told me: "Everyone wishes him well."

Bringing The People article forward as Cat has only just found out and it's easier to find this way:)
  • chosenturbochosenturbo Posts: 8,832
    Forum Member

I HEAR MATT CARDLE has parted company with his label Columbia following the end of his contract. The X factor 2010 winner who had a number one hit with his debut When We Collide, is currently in Los Angeles where he is recording new material. Matt, 29 wants to take his career in a different direction. A source close to the Essex hottie told me: "Everyone wishes him well."

Bringing The People article forward as Cat has only just found out and it's easier to find this way:)

I like how it's worded :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linseyap wrote: »
    On my way home, Ped and I went to the airport as soon as he was done but we missed him, mad rush apparently so wouldn't have had time with him anyway. Disappointed about that but it was fantastic seeing him! The Gotye song was stunning, I taped it but the vid isn't great, sound is okay though, I'll upload as soon as I get home. A lot of folk did stay sitting but he started with Amazing and they sat for all the slow songs. His hair is really long!

Of course they are :rolleyes: I hope his people do make a statement but it won't make any difference to those who want him to fail, they only hear what they want to.

Sadly yes, people will only hear what they want to hear. Happens all the time, different people, same story.

It would be nice to have an official statement, but I feel Will has a lot on his plate at the moment. Poor soul, I'm sure he's aware something needs to be said and he will do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Courtney M. Baines ‏@TheCourtous
    Look who mother bumped into at the airport, only @matt_cardle_uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/TheCourtous/status/204235551799377922/photo/1

Lucky lady there, nice Hat :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually couldn't disagree more about LA. My initial reservations about him going there were based on me seeing with my own eyes how brilliantly things worked on the tour with the band and their versions of the songs. I am desperate for them to be involved in the writing/producing/making of this album, not just being used as session musicians to record it. Fair enough Matt wanted to go to LA - God knows he needed to get away for a bit, and he is always open to new ideas, new song writers to work with to build his art. I know we don't know everything that went on, but the snippets we have heard - there was nothing that really excited me if I'm honest. The new "break up" song - I'm sure it will be beautiful, sung wonderfully well, but the world knows he can do ballads, does it really know how he rocks out? And as for networking - Partying with Westlife wives (those well known rockers), Hollyoaks actresses, people involved in US versions of Made in Chelsea......frankly the whole thing leaves me cold - those people have not got the talent that Matt has in his little fingernail. Of course, I'm hoping there may be other more impressive contacts that we haven't heard about.
    Sorry if this seems negative, but it's all come from the absolute faith & belief in Matt's own abilities & the frustration at the imperfect world he has to try & operate in.

Hi Cardie and everyone

I come back afterf two days, and everything has gone :eek::eek::confused::(!!

Cardie I completely agree with all your post, this is exactly the way I see things too.

I simply dont know what to think about Matt splitting from Columbia! As a few of you have said , I was thinking/hoping that he would be signed to them 100% eventually.

Im really all for Matt taking charge of his own musical direction, but the fact that this has coincided with the LA trip worries me deeply. I sincerely hope that he hasnt decided to take his music in the same direction as some of the people he worked with over there!! As Cardie says, there was nothing about it that excited me, and far more importantly , I didnt see any signs that these people produce the kind of strong, standout material that Matt needs, more than anything right now!

Thats all Im going to say on the subject:(

Im very sorry that the Boston Gig has been cancelled for sure!! What an absolute balls up!!

Some lovely tweets today, thanks to all who put them up!
    So we might get to see Matt perform Gotye after all:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,950
    Forum Member
    Matt Cardle ‏@matt_cardle_uk
    Lying on the floor in Glasgow airport with @willtalbot1 popping sleeping pills in me like I'm a fruit machine, makes no sense?! #jetlag xx

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda Shaw wrote: »
    I feel physically sick. :cry::(

Me too:( Its pretty horrible all this:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *whispering.... I must live with rose tinted glasses :confused: *
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bluecandy5 wrote: »

What do you mean?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean?

I trust what Matt is doing 110%. Just because he does one or two things in LA that we didn't expect, it doesn't mean he's losing his vision or his way.

I'm not one to ruffle feathers, but I can't agree with some doom and gloom posts. Writing his LA trip off.. The record label thing, why is it all bad?
  • Linda ShawLinda Shaw Posts: 3,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not upset at the thought of him parting company with Columbia, far from it. I'll be happy to see him sign with any label that will let him take his music in the direction he wants. Matt's not stupid and I know he'll make the right decision regarding his career.

The two things that are bothering me are:

a) the writers he has worked with in LA - are they any good? will they help his career?

and

b) people assuming that he's been dropped and that he's a failure. We've been down this road before and I hoped we wouldn't have to put up with this crap again.

At the end of the day we can only wait and see what happens. I'm trying to stay positive because I believe in Matt and trust his judgement. Walking away from Columbia shows he does have balls and I really respect that. I just find it hard when people start to point the finger and call him a failure when they obviously have no idea.

I promise I will try to stay calm. :eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you BB :) Never saw that one coming! Interesting times ahead. An official explanation would be nice but it certainly sounds as though it was Matt's decision. Everything crossed that it all works out for the best in the end. Makes me really want to hear even just some snippets of what he's been working on. He said himself about making rocky numbers even more rocky and the stripped back stuff even more stripped back. If that is indeed the direction he's going, I'll be happy from a musical perspective but until we know about who he is signed with, I will be worrying about promotion. Can but be patient for longer.
    Matt Cardle ‏@matt_cardle_uk
    Lying on the floor in Glasgow airport with @willtalbot1 popping sleeping pills in me like I'm a fruit machine, makes no sense?! #jetlag xx

:D
    Would be better to do that when he gets home I'd have thought!! He'll have to wake up again too soon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I trust what Matt is doing 110%. Just because he does one or two things in LA that we didn't expect, it doesn't mean he's losing his vision or his way.

I'm not one to ruffle feathers, but I can't agree with some doom and gloom posts. Writing his LA trip off.. The record label thing, why is it all bad?

Thanks for explaining I just didn't understand the post:D
  • piebaldladypiebaldlady Posts: 5,249
    Forum Member
    I'm baking muffins now awaiting our little musical treat when YAPPS get home :D
  • mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tin hats on, folks, regarding label situation - people interpreting it as him being dropped

I am not surprised however as I don't bother to ventjure from here too much on DS I don't care lol xxx;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm baking muffins now awaiting our little musical treat when YAPPS get home :D

Oh yippeee pie save one for me. xxx;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linda Shaw wrote: »
    I'm not upset at the thought of him parting company with Columbia, far from it. I'll be happy to see him sign with any label that will let him take his music in the direction he wants. Matt's not stupid and I know he'll make the right decision regarding his career.

The two things that are bothering me are:

a) the writers he has worked with in LA - are they any good? will they help his career?

and

b) people assuming that he's been dropped and that he's a failure. We've been down this road before and I hoped we wouldn't have to put up with this crap again.

At the end of the day we can only wait and see what happens. I'm trying to stay positive because I believe in Matt and trust his judgement. Walking away from Columbia shows he does have balls and I really respect that. I just find it hard when people start to point the finger and call him a failure when they obviously have no idea.

I promise I will try to stay calm. :eek::eek:

RE bolded part, that could be one of two things. He's written with them for experience. Different writing styles, exploring new territory, ages, generes etc etc

Or that yes we trust Matt completely that these songs or people are who he trusts and chooses for his career. He's at the stage now where I'm sure he has that gut feeling when something is right or wrong.

The B) part... yes we've had to put up with utter crap written about him and we've had to defend him and I'm sure we will have to time and time again. I'm passionate about the music I love and I won't let people who don't know the left from the right tell me other wise. They can choose to believe what they want, at the end of the day, as long as we support the people we love then they will get stronger.

I read rubbish about The Killers and 30 Seconds to Mars (who I support) still to this day and they have been around since early 2000's... yet they defy everyone who puts them down, due to their fans voices.

I respect Matt's choice with Columbia, if he has walked away from them. He's strong willed and wants to produce a record he wants to. I would buy it one way or another somehow when it comes to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Hi blue same here I have deep rose coloured glasses regardless of any situation I have come across, and boy have I had some situations. The glass is alway half full to me it has to be.;):D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for explaining I just didn't understand the post:D

hahah sorry that was just me trying to be tactile lol
    mitacond wrote: »
    Hi blue same here I have deep rose coloured glasses regardless of any situation I have come across, and boy have I had some situations. The glass is alway half full to me it has to be.;):D:D:D

I've been through crap of the worst kind in recent times, so my rose tinted glasses stay on all the time now. I refuse to panic about anything that we don't know about to be honest.
    Why give ourself's any un-necessary stress ;)
    Def glass half full
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RE bolded part, that could be one of two things. He's written with them for experience. Different writing styles, exploring new territory, ages, generes etc etc

Or that yes we trust Matt completely that these songs or people are who he trusts and chooses for his career. He's at the stage now where I'm sure he has that gut feeling when something is right or wrong.

The B) part... yes we've had to put up with utter crap written about him and we've had to defend him and I'm sure we will have to time and time again. I'm passionate about the music I love and I won't let people who don't know the left from the right tell me other wise. They can choose to believe what they want, at the end of the day, as long as we support the people we love then they will get stronger.

I read rubbish about The Killers and 30 Seconds to Mars (who I support) still to this day and they have been around since early 2000's... yet they defy everyone who puts them down, due to their fans voices.

I respect Matt's choice with Columbia, if he has walked away from them. He's strong willed and wants to produce a record he wants to. I would buy it one way or another somehow when it comes to it.

That is why I am a fan I don't normally go to gigs or buy CDs DVDs or whatever. I am a fan, Yeah Matt .;):D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I've been through crap of the worst kind in recent times, so my rose tinted glasses stay on all the time now. I refuse to panic about anything that we don't know about to be honest.
    Def glass half full

Hi there blue we will have to start a new FB or Twitter group called rose specs. With you all the way xxx ;):D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Def glass half full

Same here blue mine even have rose coloured ribbon on so they don't fall off.|:) :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mitacond wrote: »
    Hi there blue we will have to start a new FB or Twitter group called rose specs. With you all the way xxx ;):D:D:D:D

haha, not a bad idea. No bad thoughts allowed :cool:
  • Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member
    It's a weird thing - I thought I would be gutted if Matt and Columbia were to part company. But I feel really okay about it. I know we don't know about the next step ie. signing with another big label or going with a smaller independant one. But I suppose I feel content that the next album will be"Matt's album". The musical direction will be his. I won't stress so much about him needing massive album sales or will the single (if there is one) get airplay, just to stop the media saying he is a flop. There will be far lower expectations on him from the media - although he will still have a job keeping all his fans happy, as there are so many fans with different desires for the sort of music he should produce. And all of those desires are valid to those people. Those wanting the rocky Matt are probably more in tune with certainly the artist pre-XF Matt was. But many of those who follow him (outside of DS) only want the guy & acoustic guitar balladeer from XF. Matt can now go the way his heart wants and I will keep in touch via twitter and DS so that I know when it is released. I think the point I am making is that I really expected that news to make me feel terrible, but it really hasn't. Onwards and upwards I say.:D

On a different topic, I was really happy when I read my twitter mentions this morning and saw such a lovely and full response from that @baldsteve guy who plays in the house band at the restaurant Matt sang in with Robbie Keane. It was great of him to do that, he really didn't have to.
This discussion has been closed.