iPhone 6 and iOS 7 reportedly in development, expected to release in mid-2013

18910111214»

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Over 4 mins to type that in to the nexus 7, is that a joke?

I tried it my self and it took me who is new to android under 2 mins.

Yeahhhh.....I imagine those results have been somewhat 'modified'. :yawn:
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Yeahhhh.....I imagine those results have been somewhat 'modified'. :yawn:

Call me a liar if you like, but that is not true. Indeed, as I pointed out to Stiggles I actually gave the N7 a bit of an advantage by doing it last by which time I had somewhat learnt my lines.
    Forum Member
    I also did say in my OP that I was going for 100% accuracy (unlike a lot of posters on forums who seem happy with endless typos and wrong use of words). e.g. I found swiping particularly awkward when capitalising words.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    really not sure what this proves ??? that you are more used to the ipad method of entry ?

It just proves they type slow on everything!
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    You've only got to put the two keyboards side by side to realise that you are bound to miss keys moire often on the N7 than on the iPad, they;re just plain smaller - putting aside the fact that the N7 sometimes just doesn't respond or is sluggish
    I also did say in my OP that I was going for 100% accuracy (unlike a lot of posters on forums who seem happy with endless typos and wrong use of words). e.g. I found swiping particularly awkward when capitalising words.

Oh the typo irony :)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pressing the shift key before you type the word is awkward? I have been using the Skype keyboard for a very short period of time and I have no issues with it. I think your speed simply reflected that you are more familiar with the iPad keyboard.

I tried your test with no one dictating the text to me using Skype on my Nexus 4 and it took me 2:29 with no errors, and I am far from fast.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right now I'm using Siri to type this reply I will send it without correcting any mistakes this is the fastest

Ok this bit I'm typing , Siri missed the word WAY off the end. Not bad. Actually I'm going to read some text see how accurate it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok Siri accuracy test, reading first paragraph of 50 shades darker lol

Please come back. Mommy asleep or she's sick again I hide and care up small under the table in the kitchen through my fingers I can see money she's asleep on the cage her hand is on sticky Green Road and he's wearing his big boots and shiney buckle and standing over mummy shouting he hits mommy about a belt
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth asking Siri why it is still beta and yet IOS Maps is not beta.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Worth asking Siri why it is still beta and yet IOS Maps is not beta.

Actually Siri and Apple maps are the only 2 products to break Apples "No beta release" rule.
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Actually Siri and Apple maps are the only 2 products to break Apples "No beta release" rule.

A rule that no doubt never actually came from apple.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    It would appear that some people in this forum are supermen when it comes to typing. I have been a 'hunt and peck' typist for going on 50 years and am a darn sight faster than most of my friends and acquaintances. I think my capability is closer to the average man in the street than some here. You've only got to put the two keyboards side by side to realise that you are bound to miss keys moire often on the N7 than on the iPad, they;re just plain smaller - putting aside the fact that the N7 sometimes just doesn't respond or is sluggish.

Cant say i ever found the keyboard to be sluggish at all when i tried the N7. In fact it was very responsive.
    Incidentally, Stiggles, it's not quite a fair comparison having your missus dictate - it's the act of looking away to the book and back to the keyboard that induces some of the errors. I could improve my times considerably that way. BTW, I did the iPad times first, which should have given the N7 a bit of an advantage as I was starting to learn it by then.

But it is. If i were to be typing a text, i would know what i am typing like just now for instance. So if i knew it word for word and i wasnt having to wait for words, i would have typed it in a much shorter space of time.

In all honesty. im not sure about the mini keyboard but the one on the ipad 2 was awful. The one on the iphone was equally as bad. I spent months trying to change it to no avail sadly

Its all about preference again and i do not find a keyboard where i have to fart about through 3 to 4 different pages to get punctuation marks/symbols as easy or intuitive. Android in that respect is so much easier and intuitive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    I can't quite recall Apple ever announcing 'IOS maps Beta'.

I do recall 'Siri beta' being announced.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't quite recall Apple ever announcing 'IOS maps Beta'.

I do recall 'Siri beta' being announced.

Whether it was announced as that or not, it obviously wasn't fit for widespread consumer use at launch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So has anything other than Siri being called Beta by Apple?

It's obviously only a word. I'd declare Windows 95 and 98 as permanent betas.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    So has anything other than Siri being called Beta by Apple?

It's obviously only a word. I'd declare Windows 95 and 98 as permanent betas.

And Window ME :D
    Forum Member
    Pressing the shift key before you type the word is awkward? I have been using the Skype keyboard for a very short period of time and I have no issues with it. I think your speed simply reflected that you are more familiar with the iPad keyboard.

I tried your test with no one dictating the text to me using Skype on my Nexus 4 and it took me 2:29 with no errors, and I am far from fast.

Perhaps you weren't proofreading the result though as evidence the two instances of Skype above which I guess were intended to be swipe or swype, this was obviously the spellchecker 'correcting' it for you. Although, I would like to think I could get my Swype time down to that sort of time with a bit of practice.
    Forum Member
    ishAppy wrote: »
    Oh the typo irony :)

Yes, very embarassing :) I did say I was *aiming* for 100% and you must agree it was a very minor typo which was quite difficult to spot - I was probably proofreading it on the N7 where the smaller screen renders typos more difficult to spot :D
    Forum Member
    Yes, very embarassing :) I did say I was *aiming* for 100% and you must agree it was a very minor typo which was quite difficult to spot - I was probably proofreading it on the N7 where the smaller screen renders typos more difficult to spot :D

Cool, I wonder which of the two you saw :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps you weren't proofreading the result though as evidence the two instances of Skype above which I guess were intended to be swipe or swype, this was obviously the spellchecker 'correcting' it for you. Although, I would like to think I could get my Swype time down to that sort of time with a bit of practice.

That was done on my laptop so must have been the spell check there lol. (Well that or the fact I wasn't really sure what this android keyboard is called!)

I checked my results of the paragraph and I couldn't see any errors in it. Either way, over 4 mins to type that paragraph suggests you just don't have much experience using it as once you get used to it, it is very fast.

I have used iOS for almost three years now and I prefer the stock android keyboard to it, and if you don't' there are loads of third party ones available!
    Forum Member
    That was done on my laptop so must have been the spell check there lol. (Well that or the fact I wasn't really sure what this android keyboard is called!)

I checked my results of the paragraph and I couldn't see any errors in it. Either way, over 4 mins to type that paragraph suggests you just don't have much experience using it as once you get used to it, it is very fast.

I have used iOS for almost three years now and I prefer the stock android keyboard to it, and if you don't' there are loads of third party ones available!

Genuine question - why do you prefer the Android one ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Genuine question - why do you prefer the Android one ?

It's the swiping keyboard that I like, I find I type far more accurately on it than I ever did with my iPhone.

With the iPad I am fine as the keyboard is much larger but I do find myself trying to swipe, only for it not to work lol :D
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the swiping keyboard that I like, I find I type far more accurately on it than I ever did with my iPhone.

With the iPad I am fine as the keyboard is much larger but I do find myself trying to swipe, only for it not to work lol :D

For me swype only makes sense on a phone - or anything with a small form factor, where it is just a single finger movement (ie. a thumb).

Swype on a tablet, even in the 7" form factor, doesn't really work anything like as well. I did install Swype on my Nexus, having loved it on phones before. Removed it after half an hour, its not a product designed for tablets. You're having to move your whole hand - or more than is comfortable.
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    For me swype only makes sense on a phone - or anything with a small form factor, where it is just a single finger movement (ie. a thumb).

Swype on a tablet, even in the 7" form factor, doesn't really work anything like as well. I did install Swype on my Nexus, having loved it on phones before. Removed it after half an hour, its not a product designed for tablets. You're having to move your whole hand - or more than is comfortable.

I tend to agree. If Apple bring out swype for the iPhone I will almost certainly start using it but not sure I would on the iPad.