Options

Having just heard a Llama Del Rag song...

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    How has this thread kept going for so long? :confused:
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Whats the point of this thread, and most threads on here music related tbh

One will say black the other white and people actually waste their time doing this lol.

Ill give my opinion if anyone cares.

I love lana. No one in music has ever touched me emotionally like that. The melodies are beautiful.and haunting and i personally dont see how anyone can call the studio material crap, they clearly havent listened to the lyrics or given it a chance. Born to die is one of my favourite albums of all time. Its wierd because i never thought i would listen to her as it isnt my type of music but i must say i find her brilliant. She changed my approach to music.

As for the live performances, i do agree she isnt AMAZING. BUT, she does get nervous, she has spoken about this several times and she actually apologised for the SNL performance but i didnt even think it was as bad as people are making it out to be. To be honest i think people are just blind, because she doesnt have a bra on and isnt molesting herself on stage to a trashy "dance" beat she is considered boring.

Also can i just add "Off to the races" is one of the best pop songs ive heard in a while and i cant believe she didnt release it.

"summertime sadness" is one of the most amazing and beautiful songs.

An absolutely amazing song, So different, so unique and I'm sure so surprising to the people who bought the album expecting to experience 11/12 songs in the vein of Video Games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of course not, and just because people do like her doesn't mean she's a good one. All we have is the evidence we've been given and obviously non-fans aren't going to have gone to her concerts. I haven't been to a Cheryl Cole show but i'm fairly sure she's an awful singer.

If all the evidence we've been provided tells us someone isn't a good singer i don't see why it should be considered ignorant to come to the conclusion that they're not a good singer

I think now you talk like a virtuous Snob or in other words BS

Here is the New Yorker about her singing, the New Yorker did also a fair critice about, to my ears, not so good rendition of ADELE's Skyfall.

I will hear lana in 1,5 month and will let you know about her singing abilities.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sashafrerejones/2012/09/paradise-15-miles.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How has this thread kept going for so long? :confused:

Simples. It's Lana and she's incredibly interesting to fans and detractors alike. As this thread ably demonstrates.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Simples. It's Lana and she's incredibly interesting to fans and detractors alike. As this thread ably demonstrates.;)

Touché! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rbautz wrote: »

Here is the New Yorker about her singing, the New Yorker did also a fair critice about, to my ears, not so good rendition of ADELE's Skyfall.

I will hear lana in 1,5 month and will let you know about her singing abilities.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sashafrerejones/2012/09/paradise-15-miles.html

Yes, for those who are influenced by music critic reviews ;) here's The Guardian's Ian Gittings' take on her Hackney Weekend appearance:
    Lana Del Rey's luscious, orchestral pop felt incongruous on this in-your-face bill but was utterly enchanting. Poured into a little red dress and reciting her melancholic mantras in a husky drawl, every song felt like a languorous, heart-broken exhalation. After Del Rey's understated romanticism, Florence & the Machine's melodramatic rock operas couldn't help but seem overwrought.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jun/25/bbc-radio-one-hackney-weekend-review
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are entitled to their opinions, however extreme. I'd rather people had a more balanced view which is more based in reality but it makes threads like these more entertaining I suppose. I normally read them for the entertainment value but thought I'd join in this time :D.

I think to some people it's OK to have an extreme view in favour of an artist but not the other way, and people end up being castigated for saying anything remotely negative. Because, you know, saying anything in favour is always a sensible, valid opinion but saying something not in favour is always someone being unfair ;).

I don't think there's anything wrong with redressing the balance and pointing out when someone's bias in favour of an artist has led them to make nonsensical or contradictory statements.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    People are entitled to their opinions, however extreme. I'd rather people had a more balanced view which is more based in reality but it makes threads like these more entertaining I suppose. I normally read them for the entertainment value but thought I'd join in this time :D.

I think to some people it's OK to have an extreme view in favour of an artist but not the other way, and people end up being castigated for saying anything remotely negative. Because, you know, saying anything in favour is always a sensible, valid opinion but saying something not in favour is always someone being unfair ;).

I don't think there's anything wrong with redressing the balance and pointing out when someone's bias in favour of an artist has led them to make nonsensical or contradictory statements.

Nothing against constructive critique.

But what are the most written words of criticism that I see here or on other threads with other artists: He/She/It is/are dull or boring.

Well that's great, how boring:sleep:

Well, and not to forget to measure everything by the same yardstick.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

a snob..huh!?

half of this thread has been telling us to ignore critics now you're supplying me with the thoughts of some critic;). I'm talking about performances that iv'e seen with my own eyes and ears, which amounts to a couple of tv appearances and that clip you posted earlier, and they're all terrible.

Am i supposed to go and search out every artist i come across in the hope i might like some performance or song tucked away somewhere? I haven't time and it's her job to impress and so far she hasn't...not me anyway, obviously some people are more easily impressed:D

i look forward to your critique of her show in a months time, and i don't want any biased view:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing against constructive critique.

But what are the most written words of criticism that I see here or on other threads with other artists: He/She/It is/are dull or boring.

Well that's great, how boring:sleep:

Well, and not to forget to measure everything by the same yardstick.

Charlie Brooker:
    There's no point debating anything online. You might as well hurl shoes in the air to knock clouds from the sky. The internet's perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain't one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering.

Stumble in, take umbrage with someone, trade a few blows, and within about two or three exchanges, the subject itself goes out the window. Suddenly you're simply arguing about arguing. Eventually, one side gets bored, comes to its senses, or dies, and the row fizzles out: just another needless belch in the swirling online guffstorm.

But not for long, because online quarrelling is also addictive, in precisely the same way Tetris is addictive. It appeals to the "lab rat" part of your brain; the annoying, irrepressible part that adores repetitive pointlessness and would gleefully make you pop bubblewrap till Doomsday if it ever got its way. An unfortunate few, hooked on the futile thrill of online debate, devote their lives to its cause. They roam the internet, actively seeking out viewpoints they disagree with, or squat on messageboards, whining, needling, sneering, over-analysing each new proclamation - joylessly fiddling, like unhappy gorillas doomed to pick lice from one another's fur for all eternity.

Mr Brooker is such a perceptive commentator. ;)
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Brooker:

Mr Brooker is such a perceptive commentator. ;)

he is...can't argue with anything he's said there....or can we?:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ It's a common tactic to label any negative opinion as people simply trolling or being unfair and not being constructive. And of course, you have to be painted as someone who either absolutely loves or absolutely hates something, there's no middle-ground.

It is possible to have a sensible balanced discussion with opposing views but not with people who are too biased to accept other people's opinions. Sometimes this manifests itself by people cherry-picking reviews or live performances, as shown in this thread :D.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol, bit of an unfortunate pic used for that video.

I rather like her voice, but that song is pretty indicative of how shallow her lyrics are. Trendy couplet after trendy couplet about very little at all. The whole 'babe in the wood' routine gets boring very quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    lol, bit of an unfortunate pic used for that video.

I rather like her voice, but that song is pretty indicative of how shallow her lyrics are. Trendy couplet after trendy couplet about very little at all. The whole 'babe in the wood' routine gets boring very quickly.

:eek: The lyrics on that song are magnificent imo - you can see some real thought has gone into them. But each to their own, I guess. For instance, there are people who go mad for Radiohead lyrics whereas i find the vast majority of them utter random nonsense. I've always loved songs that tell a story so maybe that's why I love Lana's lyrics. It wouldn't do for us all to like the same artists, would it? What would some of the posters on here do with there online time then? :D
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: The lyrics on that song are magnificent imo. But each to their own, I guess. For instance, there are people who go mad for Radiohead lyrics whereas i find the vast majority of them utter random nonsense. I've always loved songs that tell a story so maybe that's why I love Lana's lyrics. It wouldn't do for us all to like the same artists, would it? What would some of the posters on here do with there online time then? :D

I think in this particular instance the subject matter is exactly the same as Blue Jeans, Videogames... in fact a lot of her songs. Fair enough, she's writing what she knows but she should broaden her horizons. The production of her music puts her voice very high up in the mix, so her words are invariably the main focus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I think in this particular instance the subject matter is exactly the same as Blue Jeans, Videogames... in fact a lot of her songs. Fair enough, she's writing what she knows but she should broaden her horizons. The production of her music puts her voice very high up in the mix, so her words are invariably the main focus.

The album is basically all about the same bloke (like '21' and that did OK as well :D ). I sort of see where you are coming from but she's already started that process with Paradise (which I guess you haven't heard yet?). We'll just have to see where she goes with the new album. I don't think she's ever going to stray into Morrissey/Turner territory lyrically, though.