Can someone help me turn off the webmail spam filter?

gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
Forum Member
I have and ntlworld email address and all my email comes through to my entourage email app. Went on the webmail to find 2000 emails in the spam folder. I had no idea Virgin stop what they consider to be spam. In amongst it was some important emails. I have gone through the troubleshooting to try and find out how to turn the spam filtering off but the option to do this does not appear on any of the menus in the webmail. Can anyone tell me where to look :confused: I would really appreciate the help.

Comments

• Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have and ntlworld email address and all my email comes through to my entourage email app. Went on the webmail to find 2000 emails in the spam folder. I had no idea Virgin stop what they consider to be spam. In amongst it was some important emails. I have gone through the troubleshooting to try and find out how to turn the spam filtering off but the option to do this does not appear on any of the menus in the webmail. Can anyone tell me where to look :confused: I would really appreciate the help.

You use to be able to allow/disallow certain email addresses but this seems to have disappeared since VM upgraded there email system.

The only way I found of removing something from the Spam list was to trawl through the Spam folder, highlight all the email addresses that are not spam and then near the top of the page there is a button that says something like unmark as spam, click that and those emails will be moved to your inbox and in the future they will pass through the spam filter.

There might be an easier way but I couldn't find it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Basically you can't turn it off.

If you set up a filter to catch all emails, and then marked them as never send to spam, it might work?

Thanks for reminding me of this though. Signed into web mail for the first time in ages to check and had one bit of mail in Spam - and it was not Spam! Since they dump what they consider Spam after 30 days who knows how much email I have been missing :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    I used these setting from the virgin media website and it has worked perfectly for me. Now i get all my spam delivered so i can filter it myself!

Link: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=204714#Q6

And here is what it says if you cant be bothered to follow the link!

"If you already have a preferred anti-spam system configured on your e-mail client and want to use this instead of the advanced Google anti-spam system, you can do so by using the filter settings in Web mail.

The instructions on how to do this are here, and the filter you need is:

Has the words: is:spam
    Do this: Never send it to Spam

When setting up this particular filter a warning message will be displayed. In this instance the warning message should be ignored, as it is not applicable for this filter.

Once configured, this filter setting will continue to deliver spam to the Inbox of your e-mail software, where it can then be handled by your existing anti-spam system."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are the instructions on how to turn off the Spam filter in Googlemail which works exactly the same in Virgin webmail, just follow the instructions and you will receive every single email that your account receives in your email client inbox.

Just click this link http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/11/24/how-to-disable-and-deactivate-spam-filter-protection-in-gmail-or-google-mail/
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petey286 wrote: »
    Here are the instructions on how to turn off the Spam filter in Googlemail which works exactly the same in Virgin webmail, just follow the instructions and you will receive every single email that your account receives in your email client inbox.

Just click this link http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/11/24/how-to-disable-and-deactivate-spam-filter-protection-in-gmail-or-google-mail/
    I followed the instructions in that link that petey286 posted in another thread.

It worked perfectly for me.

Cheers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    I followed the instructions in that link that petey286 posted in another thread.

It worked perfectly for me.

Cheers.
    True it is much easier to follow than the one on the Virginmedia help pages and it really does work.;)
  • gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much for helping me - problem solved :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the instructions, I've implemented them too. Ironically, the reason I checked this thread was because of the email problems at the moment. So I used the webmail out of curiosity to see just what incorrect spam was being filtered. Found the "Welcome to your new and improved Virgin Media Mail!" email in the Google spam box. :D