Options

When is news not news?

Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Listening to Radio 2 news on the way home from work last night there was a story regarding the announcement of the celebs for something called 'Strictly Come Dancing'.
Not the final '..and finally' story but a mid-bulletin story about who is going to be dancing this year.

On the BBC news website this lunchtime there's a story about Barbara Windsor's explosive exit from Eastenders.

Is this really news?

Stories perhaps for that strange subject that seems to have cropped up recently, Showbiz, but surely not news!!

Not BBC bashing, honestly, but at least on the local Real Radio news they have segments for news, sport, showbiz etc

Surely this is just BBC self-promotion, like BBC Breakfast.

Comments

• Options
    marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least they didn't report it as "breaking news". I hate it when they do that for unimportant things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    It's not just the BBC programmes though - they equally go bananas on 5 Live about such things as the X Factor etc. It's just a sign of how much 'celebrity culture' has taken over modern life, that it is now commonly regarded as "news".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always think that when they start featuring one of their own shows Dr Who, Strictly Come Dancing etc. or the happenings of one of their soap operas, perhaps Eastenders, it devalues the news and smacks of cross-promotion
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I always think that when they start featuring one of their own shows Dr Who, Strictly Come Dancing etc. or the happenings of one of their soap operas, perhaps Eastenders, it devalues the news and smacks of cross-promotion

And when they do one about a show on the other channels, say ITV, and ITV do vice-versa?
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And when they do one about a show on the other channels, say ITV, and ITV do vice-versa?

Well thats stupidity.

Why promote the opposition?
    Really, promoting entertainment shows in `serious` news programmes should, IMO, not happen.

It's just naff.
    (Although not as naff as telling us about Paris Hiltons or George Michaels latest exploits.)

It's not if there aren't enough fluffy sofa style chat shows, and natural breaks to get the message across.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think its called entertainment news.

here's some more entertainment news from Sky News.

some ITN entertainment news

you might expect better of the times though.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Object Z wrote: »
    Well thats stupidity.

Why promote the opposition?
    Really, promoting entertainment shows in `serious` news programmes should, IMO, not happen.

It's just naff.
    (Although not as naff as telling us about Paris Hiltons or George Michaels latest exploits.)

It's not if there aren't enough fluffy sofa style chat shows, and natural breaks to get the message across.

I know what you mean and IMO the news should be just real news and save the showbiz stuff for the segments in breakfast TV.
  • Options
    radiobloke2004radiobloke2004 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean and IMO the news should be just real news and save the showbiz stuff for the segments in breakfast TV.

Whats the difference between showbiz news, and "real" news? It's all news surely?

If popular culture was not mentioned in the news, then it would be out of touch with the people it is intended for.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They all do it at one level or another. For example, today, SkyNews had a news item to tell us about (and re-show) the interview that Jedward did with Eamon Holmes on SunRise earlier on! It wasn't Breaking News, thankfully, but it did seem to be a little "self-referencing"!

But yes, even on a slow news day, I'd prefer the "news" to be limited to the main topics and "entertainment news" to be sectioned off to a particular timeslot - preferably at about 3:47 am!

K
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    In a similar vein I've always thought that news broadcasts should be just that. News.

Not a vehicle to promote someone's latest film.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so when was the last time they interviewed a film star about his latest film during the one, six or ten o'clock news?

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    When its Sky News!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whats the difference between showbiz news, and "real" news? It's all news surely?

If popular culture was not mentioned in the news, then it would be out of touch with the people it is intended for.

Thinking on you're right there, nowadays the news has changed and have different segments to cover almost everything newsworthy from sport to entertainment, it would be selfish of me (and anybody else) to not expect news for those interested in events other than UK and world politics/ happenings.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stations ought to separate out entertainment news from real news by running it after bulletins or at some other time in the hour. And sport stories should be a part of it rather than be covered in the news bulletins- after all what is sport other than a branch of the entertainment industry?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pacman1854 wrote: »
    Not BBC bashing, honestly, but at least on the local Real Radio news they have segments for news, sport, showbiz etc

Where is 'mikw'? Surely we need another reminder of how truly awful commercial radio is, completely overlooking stations like Real which provide excellent, award winning news output.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that all this about the blitz is not news, it is history. Fine to have separate programmes about it, but not masses about it on the news.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is 'mikw'? Surely we need another reminder of how truly awful commercial radio is, completely overlooking stations like Real which provide excellent, award winning news output.
    Perhaps (and I say this having not listened to the station in question), given that its award was given against other commercial stations, it is merely the "best of a poor bunch". :)

K
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Got to agree, Real is excellent, as is LBC, and coming up on the rails is Talk Sport.

Not bad considering they do not have national frequencies.

Comparing national BBC radio to local commercial stations is not comparing like for like.

BBC local radio is dire (IMO).
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    It is disappointing to hear the BBC including celebrity and showbiz nonsense in its news output. There is so much happening in the world every day so there is no reason they can't find some proper news.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    I think that all this about the blitz is not news, it is history. Fine to have separate programmes about it, but not masses about it on the news.

well its the 70th anniversary of one of the most devastating events to ever happen to this country so to dismiss something like the blitz as just history says more about you than it does about the news organisations that decided to feature it.

perhaps if you had lived through the blitz as a lot of people did then you might not view it as just history
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »

Completely agree. There are plenty of recent wars around the world so a war from 70 years ago is defo not news!
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ITV News always plugs X Factor and BGT...along with Posh & Becks/Cheryl Cole trivia
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Don't forget Big Brother. Last ever episode tonight... lo and behold it was mentioned on BBC news.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    Yes, and probably Sky News and ITV News too. Love it or loathe it (I'm the latter ;)) it has been a huge TV event over the last decade and it's ending is newsworthy.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I watched ITV News once, I thought it was like the Daily Fail in a TV format, but that's just my opinion :)