Options

Qatar - the plot thickens?

alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9297416.stm

All quite sensible but was this all pre-planned with those air conditioned stadiums simply being a ruse?

Comments

• Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just exactly how would they reschedule the domestic leagues, european competitions, International games etc. I just cant see it happening.

Yes its going to be hot but unbearable? I dont buy that. Just get on with it.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Just exactly how would they reschedule the domestic leagues, european competitions, International games etc. I just cant see it happening.

Yes its going to be hot but unbearable? I dont buy that. Just get on with it.

Doha has an AVERAGE temperature of 106°F - and it's perfectly normal for it to reach 115-120°F in it's hottest months - June and July!!

It is completely inadvisable to run around in those conditions if you're not used to it.

• Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Europe won't be happy. Europe might abstain.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm thinking about the footballers, not only the fans but the actors."

The what now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    The what now?

Bad translation for 'the performers' ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an odd turn of phrase for a football official, a little bit too 'entertainment' for my liking.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Doha has an AVERAGE temperature of 106°F - and it's perfectly normal for it to reach 115-120°F in it's hottest months - June and July!!

It is completely inadvisable to run around in those conditions if you're not used to it.

Maybe but I really dont see how a world cup could be moved 4 months in advance withought causing all sorts of issues with club competitions.

Wasnt some of the games USA 94 played at over 100°F
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe but I really dont see how a world cup could be moved 4 months in advance withought causing all sorts of issues with club competitions.

That was in Dallas only - and it was way, way above the average - so unexpected. The rest of the venues were normal.

Qatar most certainly WILL be really ******* hot. That is cast-iron guranteed.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

The problem wont be so much a player issue as a spectator one.

Hundreds of football fans in football shirts in record breaking temps.

Buy shares in after-sun products now!!!
  • Options
    pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Qatar are holding the Asian Cup (football) next month. From what I read there is provision in that competition to move it from summer to January for climatic reasons which is what they have done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Hundreds of football fans in football shirts in record breaking temps.

What a field day for Nike, Adidas and gang. They already yap on about their temperature technology which means little when you're playing pub football in Sheffield, but this? Profits through the roof!
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Europe shouldnt bother and not turn up .They cant start altering the leagues for this.
  • Options
    Funky_TomatoFunky_Tomato Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it wasn't for the fact that it's being moved as a consequence of the corrupt FIFA exco lining their pockets full of oil cash it would be laughable.

Now we have to suspend or alter the European season just to hold a World Cup in the middle of winter so that it doesn't become unplayable in the height of summer in a country with a population of 1.6m, half of whom are not nationals; have never qualified or are likely to qualify for the WC (apart from hosting), and have no football history. You couldn't make it up :rolleyes::mad:

What a complete an utter mess FIFA have made. Blatter and his band of gangsters will be long retired by the time WC 2022 is upon us, and they certainly won't want to take the flak when it becomes even more apparent what a bad idea/joke/absolute disgrace this WC will be. All for the sake of corrupt oil cash to finance Blatter's retirement fund.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would they do it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we have to suspend or alter the European season just to hold a World Cup in the middle of winter so that it doesn't become unplayable in the height of summer in a country with a population of 1.6m, half of whom are not nationals; have never qualified or are likely to qualify for the WC (apart from hosting), and have no football history. You couldn't make it up :rolleyes::mad:

You could look at it that way, or you could say that it opens up hosting the tournament to a lot of countries that haven't been able to host it so far. If this is the rule - that countries where it's too hot in June are never allowed to host it - then you may as well draw a big red line through half of Africa, southern Asia and Central America before you start. I don't think that's particularly fair, so I think this is a reasonable precedent to set.

Also, there are plenty of countries that have their leagues disrupted by the World Cup as it is, just not the majority of European ones. I don't think Europe has a right to only have the World Cup hosted at a time convenient for them.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Maybe we could send out B teams, or the under 21's to World Cups so our domestic season isn't disrupted.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is no doubt right that the dates should suit the venues but it certainly feels that it was hushed up to ensure no political fallout prior to the voting.

But of course it has to come out into the open fairly quick before all of the design plans are set in stone.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA will be incredibly wary of upsetting the European power base especially when in this part of the world interest in internaational football is draining away

La Liga and Serie A being played in the middle of June, July and August? Incredibly bad idea

Even Platini can't be stupid enough to back this one
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this whole "rescheduling" of leagues is NONSENSE!!!!

all the leagues need to do is START EARLY and FINISH LATER ..... it's literally an no-brainer ..... unfortinately some of those people who run the leagues have no brains :rolleyes:

well, for european leagues, that means a perfect time for a winter break ..... of SIX WEEKS (perfect for scotland :D )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    this whole "rescheduling" of leagues is NONSENSE!!!!

all the leagues need to do is START EARLY and FINISH LATER ..... it's literally an no-brainer ..... unfortinately some of those people who run the leagues have no brains :rolleyes:

well, for european leagues, that means a perfect time for a winter break ..... of SIX WEEKS (perfect for scotland :D )

In what universe is starting all leagues earlier, finishing later and having an enforced 6 week winter break for a major international tournament not considered "rescheduling"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    In what universe is starting all leagues earlier, finishing later and having an enforced 6 week winter break for a major international tournament not considered "rescheduling"?

I think there's a fair point in there which is that it's not as big a deal as many are suggesting. We're not going to have to play domestic football all the way through the summer (as was suggested in a post above) it would be a question of starting the season earlier and finishing it later. Most leagues already have a winter break as it is, so the difference might be as little as 2 or 3 weeks in many cases.

As said before, other countries already have to adapt to accommodate the World Cup, so I don't see why we can't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether we can't or not will be irrelevant. We WON'T because we generate too much money for the game globally not to be adhered to should we (Europe) stamp our feet.

There's a reason why the World Cup's are always scheduled to coincide with European seasons.

UEFA and FIFA will find themselves on a collision course with clubs should they demand they whole European season stops and they play the small matter of a World Cup in the 'break' in the winter. Clubs won't stand for it. Even if they did they'd want HUGE concessions in return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    I think there's a fair point in there which is that it's not as big a deal as many are suggesting. We're not going to have to play domestic football all the way through the summer (as was suggested in a post above) it would be a question of starting the season earlier and finishing it later. Most leagues already have a winter break as it is, so the difference might be as little as 2 or 3 weeks in many cases.

As said before, other countries already have to adapt to accommodate the World Cup, so I don't see why we can't.

Yes other countries do but not a whole continent. People still havent forgiven man utdfor pulling out of the fa cup10 years ago, theres no way i can see this going down well.

There are really very few redeeming reasons for this country hosting the competition and i find the way that there is a coach and horses being driven through what everyone perceived to be "rules", just to accomodate them, absolutely disgraceful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether we can't or not will be irrelevant. We WON'T because we generate too much money for the game globally not to be adhered to should we (Europe) stamp our feet.

There's a reason why the World Cup's are always scheduled to coincide with European seasons.

UEFA and FIFA will find themselves on a collision course with clubs should they demand they whole European season stops and they play the small matter of a World Cup in the 'break' in the winter. Clubs won't stand for it. Even if they did they'd want HUGE concessions in return.

This is quite a common argument, but it falls foul of the "last resort" principle. Yes, if we stamped our feet, threatened to boycott the tournament and demanded point blank to get our own way then we'd be listened to, but just because we're the most powerful confederation doesn't mean we have an inability to compromise.

We compromise on many things - e.g. we didn't threaten to leave FIFA over the Asian Cup being held in Qatar next month (featuring numerous Premier League players).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    This is quite a common argument, but it falls foul of the "last resort" principle. Yes, if we stamped our feet, threatened to boycott the tournament and demanded point blank to get our own way then we'd be listened to, but just because we're the most powerful confederation doesn't mean we have an inability to compromise.

We compromise on many things - e.g. we didn't threaten to leave FIFA over the Asian Cup being held in Qatar next month (featuring numerous Premier League players).

the asian cup isnt affecting our season structure. Tbh a fair bit of fuss is made (wrongly) about the players going to the AcoN