Options

Is there anyone here who did not like & respect Christopher Hitchens?

Comments

• Options
    j4the1j4the1 Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is quite wrong of course. God can call people to Him at any age, regardless of upbringing. Lots of Christians I know, including myself, became Christians later in life despite having no real exposure to religion when young.

I had no problems with Chris myself, he was an intelligent chap. I disagreed with many of his views and agreed with some, as with anyone. I have to say I enjoyed him handing Galloway his arse repeatedly.

What as a baby? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    CatWolf wrote: »
    clue is in the OP title

who the F are you?

Is there anyone here who did not like & respect Christopher Hitchens?

Having read that, I would say, same back at you. But I have manners.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm a huge fan of anyone who tirelessly backed the disastrous Iraq war and...

...no, wait, I'm not.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is quite wrong of course. *snip*.

No, he is not.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Oh yeah I forgot about all that. I seem to be quoting you a lot recently, I'm not stalking you honest.

I do think he was a bit of a bigot ironically, although he managed to intellectualise it to a degree that he could get away with it. Unlike his brother, so considering they were related its amazing he wasn't a lot more of one.
    Heheh, no worries! Yeah, I think he said some pretty dodgy things about torture and so on, too.

His brother is just awful, in a totally over the top way! Again, some respect for having opinions and sticking to them, but....the opinions!
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a huge fan of anyone who tirelessly backed the disastrous Iraq war and...

...no, wait, I'm not.

Ah stoatie. Why else would CatWolf start a thread about Christopher Hitchens other than for everyone to talk about how he ridiculed religion? You're just spoiling it by reminding us of his non-atheist views.;)
  • Options
    CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Yes ..

classic:D
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christopher Hitchens as in one of "the Four Horsemen of New Atheism". :D
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...no, wait, I'm not.

one hand stoatie in his bedsit east london

on the other Hitchens

ooooooh the choices:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you.

again

• Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...no, wait, I'm not.

Hindsight is a lovely thing. Many politicians across all the main parties tirelessly backed the Iraq war. Why would Hitchens know what they didn't: that Blair was lying to us all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    again

Thank you. Again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one hand stoatie in his bedsit east london

one the other Hitchens

ooooooh the choices:D

Sorry, I wasn't aware we were supposed to be competing with him. Just saying if we didn't like and respect him. I didn't. He was a decent writer, and sometimes I agreed with him and sometimes I didn't, but to be honest he was a bit of a cock.

You seem a little prickly. Did you agree with him on Iraq? Do you think he was right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Hindsight is a lovely thing. Many politicians across all the main parties tirelessly backed the Iraq war. Why would Hitchens know what they didn't: that Blair was lying to us all?

Hindsight didn't exactly come quickly to him, though, did it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I wasn't aware we were supposed to be competing with him. Just saying if we didn't like and respect him. I didn't. He was a decent writer, and sometimes I agreed with him and sometimes I didn't, but to be honest he was a bit of a cock.

You seem a little prickly. Did you agree with him on Iraq? Do you think he was right?

he had lots to say about a lot. if ur asking did i agree with all his output no

but with most yes

and that is someone who served in iraq - which i now regret and will do to my grave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he had lots to say about a lot. if ur asking did i agree with all his output no

but with most yes

and that is someone who served in iraq - which i now regret and will do to my grave

So why the snidey-snidey crap? Doesn't do your position any favours.

He was also a bit of a dick when it came to women.

We ARE allowed to talk about stuff that isn't atheism, right?
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is quite wrong of course. God can call people to Him at any age, regardless of upbringing. Lots of Christians I know, including myself, became Christians later in life despite having no real exposure to religion when young.

I had no problems with Chris myself, he was an intelligent chap. I disagreed with many of his views and agreed with some, as with anyone. I have to say I enjoyed him handing Galloway his arse repeatedly.

It's true that weak minded people can get brainwashed into a religious cult later in life, but it's easier to do it at an early age, one of the reasons for all the churches having such dogmatic ritual.

I think in time the world will become more secular as information is getting harder to control by the churches and the evidence for evolution and lack of intelligent design is getting more and more convincing.

Hitch was on US chat shows a lot and I think a tide is turning over there where atheism can be accepted.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Why don't I believe that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why the snidey-snidey shit?

Your definition
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I couldn't begin to think.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had a look at a few of his vids on Yotube.

I don't think I saw him smile once. He seemed full of hate - and wanting to hate and be hated. To be an enemy and to be seen as one.

I didn't detect any compassion or real understanding in him.

I don't think I'd have wanted to be in his brain - so full of distaste and hate for any religious person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your definition

Well yes, obviously. Call it what you want, what was the point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

simple

read your posting history and the people who perhaps .......post with...................."you"

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very interesting; I definitely disagree with that attitude, but still agree wholeheartedly with some of his writings.