"Stupid" Characters in Sitcoms

Comments

• butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever there's a thread like this, I always think of one, and then have to read the whole thing to make sure no-one else has said it, and then get blown out of the water somewhere around Post 78, when it pops up, but I think I'm safe.....

Neil from The Young Ones....
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Woody - Cheers

I heard that Dougal from Father Ted was based on Woody.
  • DiggingHeavsDiggingHeavs Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances wasn't the sharpest knife in the box

He was often seen reading a theoretical physics book in bed and occasionally pondered a philosophical question, though it was mostly meant as a joke.

My big vote goes to Joey from Friends. He starts out as shallow and pretty dumb and vapid but ends up so idiotic you wonder if his IQ is in single digits and how he can dress by himself in the mornings.

Dougal was incredibly dumb but they also showed that he thought most of the tenents of Catholicism were bollocks. There's one ep where he turns a Bishop into a free love hippie after a 5 minute talk.
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Munch from two pints
    Abi from my family
    George and Anthea from men behaving badly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They often have that sort of 'comedy' character in soaps, too - Like Robbie Jackson in Eastenders, or Kirk in Coronation Street....
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Whenever there's a thread like this, I always think of one, and then have to read the whole thing to make sure no-one else has said it, and then get blown out of the water somewhere around Post 78, when it pops up, but I think I'm safe.....

Neil from The Young Ones....
    Like Bottom wasn't everyone in The Young Ones stupid though
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kev in derek

He wasn't a stupid character at all. Think you've missed the point on that one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxG wrote: »
    Buster - Mrs Browns Boys

I thought you were going to say Buster, Arrested Development but you said Mrs Brown's Boys instead...... Excuse me whilst I vomit. There's no need to mention that show. Ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave from the Royle Family became more of a stupid-beyond-belief character as the show declined.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    True - and Hugh Laurie's turn as Private George in Blackadder Goes Forth was equally thick.

Yes! His map showing a field of 'mushrooms' :D
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twist - Spaced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember the character Hilary in May to December?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about the two older people in Martin Clunes' office in Men Behaving Badly. Can't really remember if they were played as stupid or just hopelessly old-fashioned....
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Joey from Friends and Dave from The Royal Family because when both shows started neither were the sharpest knife in the draw but by the end it became ridiculous with how stupid both characters became.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    he says "who are yer?"

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Tony - Men behaving badly
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More sketch-show than sitcom, but Tim Nice But Dim deserves a mention (as does Dick Nice But Thick).

The League of Gentlemen was a hybrid sitcom/sketch show, with Mickey Luv probably its champion dimwit.
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bill bailey black books
  • Claire_albaClaire_alba Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dexter in The Piglet Files

Just HAD to get that one in - it used to make me giggle it was so bad but no one else seems to remember it. ANYTHING with Nicolas Lyndhurst in it has to be worth watching (talking of which Rodney was also a bit of a plonker in Only Fools and Horses - quite a few of them could qualify for the 'stupid' tag!)
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about the two older people in Martin Clunes' office in Men Behaving Badly. Can't really remember if they were played as stupid or just hopelessly old-fashioned....

I've already said them in post #105, George and Anthea ;)
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,372
    Forum Member
    Ray Romano

Intentionally made stupid to make his obnoxious wife seem smarter.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray Romano

Intentionally made stupid to make his obnoxious wife seem smarter.

That's the case in a lot of sitcoms. Doug in The King of Queens became more and more of a dolt, although Carrie was no genius; she was just much smarter in comparison. She did become wonderfully nasty, greedy and vindictive, though, unlike most sitcom wives. KOQ did seem to deliberately play around with a lot of sitcom tropes though (the same actors playing multiple parts, an interior set that didn't match the outer shots, etc).
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

I would call them stupid really maybe more naive they kinda remind me of Howard & Hilda from Ever Decreasing Circles
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Michael - "I'm Alan Partridge"

Kirk in Coronation Street seems to have been in it for years and only ever offers "hilarious" stupid comments, he's never had (or been able to carry) a proper storyline. I know it's not really a sitcom but it's getting ever more laughable - see the "suspension of reality" thread in the soap section!

Michael seemed odd but normal in the first series when he was working at the Travel Tavern. They dumbed him down a lot for series 2. Not sure why.
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like Bottom wasn't everyone in The Young Ones stupid though

Mike in the Young Ones (played by Christopher Ryan) was the only "normal" person in it.