Options

Daybreak to undergo another revamp

Comments

• Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt they say the last revamp was the last roll of the dice?
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Kiskin wrote: »
    Agree, I think Aled is actually quite good, and really like Matt, John Ranvir and Helen. I just can't watch Lorraine on the show, she irritates me and always has tons of time off which means there's a real lack of continuity (even though it's better without her!)

Matt and Ranvir are my favourites. I don't think I've seen John and Helen. I mostly turn over after seven o'clock, I agree with other people on here that have said the show forgets about the news when Lorraine and Aled takes over after the first hour.

And BIB: Why does she have so much time off even though yes, it's better without her lol. And Whenever I've been home that time in the morning and saw some of Lorraine's show fifty percent of the time she wasn't even presenting it!
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Christine Bleakley ? I read her contract was not being renewed and she doesn't seem to figure in any ITV plans at all now.

Her contract is up this month, Adrians is up next year.

I'd be very surprised to see her on ITV any time soon. If next years Dancing on Ice is to be the last one then they'll probably get Holly back. If they're going to carry it on in 2015 without Torvill & Dean (as rumoured) then it will probably be Emma Willis. Either way I don't expect Christine to be back.

Its funny how things turn out though, whilst they spent a lot of money on the original Daybreak, it's decline was just the same as what GMTV would be getting if it was still on air at the time, and the year that Adrian & Christine did remains the most watched era of the show. The rot didn't really set in until they left, thats when the figures tumbled.
  • Options
    KiskinKiskin Posts: 6,280
    Forum Member
    Matt and Ranvir are my favourites. I don't think I've seen John and Helen. I mostly turn over after seven o'clock, I agree with other people on here that have said the show forgets about the news when Lorraine and Aled takes over after the first hour.

And BIB: Why does she have so much time off even though yes, it's better without her lol. And Whenever I've been home that time in the morning and saw some of Lorraine's show fifty percent of the time she wasn't even presenting it!

I think it is to do with her kids and commuting to London but it still isn't right. If you can't do the days and hours you are supposed to be doing then what's the point?
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love GMTV when I was younger but now as soon as my alarm goes off I turn it on to Sky News or BBC. The constant ad breaks, constant competitions where they send a random celeb to Barbados and then ask you to answer a question a 5 year old could answer, the patronising presenters.......
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back the Rat!!!

No not you Adrian. :rolleyes:

Bring back Roland Rat.

Get Roland reading the news.....
  • Options
    Matt7Matt7 Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id like to see a mix of presenters. Lorraine and Aled do not work no matter how much ITV like to believe the viewers think they are great. Kate and Dan Lobb worked well and Matt and Ranvir are wasted just doing the first hour. Id like to see Kate, Dan, Matt and Ranvir as the main presenters with different combinations over the course of the week. Also the old set was much better. The current one is dreadful and looks like some dated set from pre school television. Laura Tobin is good doing the weather but Richard Arnold really isnt working. I'd have Helen Fospero as the main news presenter and filling iin one one of the four main presenters are away.

Richard Gaisford, Jonathan Swain, Nick Dixon, Sue Jameson and Cordelia Kretzschmar are also great news reporters and Id like to see them doing more extended features like Tim Muffett and the other main reporters on BBC Breakfast do.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imo get rid of boring LORRAINE KELLY. and MR JONES... and bring in someone with personality... and not Claire balding..
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last I heard she was doing Dancing on Ice.

Going back to Daybreak, are they seriously doing ANOTHER revamp??

Seriously, probably not.

Reading the story, it seems to have originated from a 'source' in The Sun, i.e almost definitely made-up.
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Christine Bleakley ? I read her contract was not being renewed and she doesn't seem to figure in any ITV plans at all now.

She is currently filming a new programme for ITV called Country Roads to be shown this Autumn
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ideas for them to consider

1. Go for the American NBC Today Show Route
    2. Have This Morning start earlier & replace it
    3. Have a kids themed block of TV, maybe have SMTV but sop it at half 8 since theyd go to school
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or do this:

6am: ITV News Hour
    7am: CITV
    9:25am: Lorraine
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How often does it need saying? Lorraine needs to disappear comletely, even from her own show. A couple of days ago Helen interviewed two Bollywood stars and Alex James ( seperately) and, although there were a couple of research problems with the Bollywood couple, they were proper interviews, not the fawning drivel that comes out of Lorraines mouth. Alex in particular seemed relaxed and comfortable with her.
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How often does it need saying? Lorraine needs to disappear comletely, even from her own show. A couple of days ago Helen interviewed two Bollywood stars and Alex James ( seperately) and, although there were a couple of research problems with the Bollywood couple, they were proper interviews, not the fawning drivel that comes out of Lorraines mouth. Alex in particular seemed relaxed and comfortable with her.

Maybe ITV should just give up. BBC seem to have it just right. Maybe they should just show the news for 1-2 hours every morning instead. GMTV was failing and Daybreak failed. I don't think anything is going to work
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Aled Jones and Helen Fospero should present Monday-Thursday and John Stapleton and Kate Garraway should present Fridays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having Kate in today just highlights how much more watchable it's been with John and Helen. I used to quite like Kate but since she's had her kid she has fallen into the trap of talkiing to everyone as though they are a small child, talking over them, over emphasising her reactions to everything etc. Really annoying!
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shame we didn't get a full week of Helen Fospero.

I could take 4 days of Helen though if she became the main presenter in the revamp.

Worth re-emphasising how good Laura Tobin is doing the weather. One thing they definitely do get right!
  • Options
    osrickosrick Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    With respect, I think you're all missing the point here. The show is not made by the people who present it. You have to look at who the executives and producers are and that will tell you what kind of show you are going to get. Daybreak's problem is that it doesn't know what audience it wants. It gets beaten by Breakfast because the BBC knows who its viewers are. ITV are not confident they know who is watching between 0600 and 0925 so they give them what they think they want. The trouble is, not enough people want to watch what they're being given. I am not sure there is any new audience to gain, so Daybreak can only build its numbers by stealing viewers from the BBC. History tells you when you get the format right, the viewers come.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,495
    Forum Member

I saw that the other day. Bit cringey but still better than LK but the same thing happened today when talking to Ross King. Something about Jennifer Aniston. Is their researcher some work experience kid on Wikipedia?
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I hope they change the theme music, gets right on my nerves so early in the morning, even with the TV volume really low its still loud!
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    osrick wrote: »
    With respect, I think you're all missing the point here. The show is not made by the people who present it. You have to look at who the executives and producers are and that will tell you what kind of show you are going to get. Daybreak's problem is that it doesn't know what audience it wants. It gets beaten by Breakfast because the BBC knows who its viewers are. ITV are not confident they know who is watching between 0600 and 0925 so they give them what they think they want. The trouble is, not enough people want to watch what they're being given. I am not sure there is any new audience to gain, so Daybreak can only build its numbers by stealing viewers from the BBC. History tells you when you get the format right, the viewers come.

Bingo.

Its sad so many on here focus on autocue readers and forget the people running the show.

I mean as for ANOTHER revamp. The show is getting like the sugarbabes now. Its actually embarassing. These revamps are just more nails in the coffin each time and you all cant see it and continue to squabble over all these random names, Helen, Aled, lorraine, Pete, Jamie, Whittaker... whatever. You could have a donkey eating a carrot presenting the show and it would get the same numbers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    As someone created the thread a week or so ago ''Why is ITV so chavvy and dumbed-down?'', a news/serious programme on ITV is about as relevant as a group of peace-loving hippies holding hands in the middle of Syria.
  • Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wonder how matt and ranvir will do in the 7 am to 8:25 time slot
  • Options
    Dino MDino M Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Aled is good, but he does not work well with Lorraine, saying that does anybody work well with Lorraine. She just seems to come across all mumsy and it is like Aled is presenting with his Mum.

I think Lorraine needs to leave and maybe Aled could be paired with either Kate or Helen.

Lorraine just annoys the hell out of me, the amount of time she has off is ridiculous, so you never know when she is going to be appearing anyway, it would be best if she leaves completely and tries something new, she has been doing breakfast for years now, maybe she could try something different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    osrick wrote: »

But the thread is about revamping a product, not creating a new one. There are countless things they could do to improve, what is basically tabloid TV, heavy on showbiz and gossip, light on news, but it will still be tabloid TV. However, as with the launch of any new or improved product, someone has to sell it to the customer and in this case the customer is the viewer and the salesperson is the presenter so if the salespeople are poor the customer won't 'buy'.