Retail Workers - What do customers do that annoys you? (Part 3)

Comments

• Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Doesn't matter.

Forum rules still apply.

"Piss off. This thread is to complain about narrow minded assholes like you." is unacceptable. Period.

If you don't like what is being posted in here for some reason, don't come in here - simple.
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Fair enough, to be fair, 90% of customers are fine, about 5% are unintentionally quite annoying and then there's about 5% who are rude/nasty.

I tend not to get annoyed too easily, I'd say the student discount lady who I mentioned a while back was probably the rudest I've came across although a colleague of mine had a lady argue with her about student discount last week. She came in with her two daughters, both in school uniforms, one looked to be about 16/17 and she pointed at her and asked my colleague 'Can she get student discount?' to which she replied 'Does she have a student ID?'. The mother answered 'No, but you can see that she's a student as she has a uniform'. My colleague then explained that student discount is given out based on presentation of a valid Student ID card and is really more for university or college students (most of the schools over here do up to Sixth Form rather than having seperate sixth form colleges so the post-16 colleges tend to be more for people doing stuff like apprenticeships and hair/beauty/childcare etc). The mother then furiously replied 'That's a disgrace, you're discriminating against someone who decided to stay on to do her A Levels rather than go to tech', she pointed out that she personally didn't set the rules, it's head office who do but the woman continued to make a fuss saying she had never came across discrimination like it in her life (yeah love, Rosa Parks practically pales in comparison) to the point that my colleague said she would get the manager. The manager explained the exact same thing but the woman continued to argue so she eventually told her she would give her 10% off as a gesture of goodwill but it wouldn't happen again. So what did the woman do? About two minutes later, she walked up to my colleague and said 'It doesn't matter, we don't want anything in here anyway' and walked out :o Some people love making a massive drama out of nothing.
    Got to love people making a scene for nothing! ;-)

Although I have never got why HO haven't imparted common sense for this kind of scenario, it's obvious the girl is in school uniform and thus is a student, ergo, the discount applies. I can understand the showing of a student ID card if they're in casual clothes.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    I'm in retail again as a christmas temp though I'm desperately searching for full time work. Preferably in a 9-5. Basically something that is stable.

It's impossible to build a life on three hours work a day which is what I'm getting at the moment.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dslrocks wrote: »

Although I have never got why HO haven't imparted common sense for this kind of scenario, it's obvious the girl is in school uniform and thus is a student, ergo, the discount applies. I can understand the showing of a student ID card if they're in casual clothes.

I think the original policy was for university students only but then the local colleges started giving students ID cards so they couldn't really turn around and not offer it to those students when they have an ID.

I meant to add, the mother also said sarcastically 'I should have sent her to tech then as they're treated better evidently'. Yes madam, your daughter should have chosen where to go based on which would get her 10% student discount, you just have to laugh.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    it's obvious the girl is in school uniform and thus is a student
    How naive. Some people will try anything on.
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    How naive. Some people will try anything on.
    Hardly, but then again who do you know that goes around in school uniform to get 10% student discount?!

A little common sense in this situation would have stopped it from escalating. They would have got the discount and there would need to have been no mud slung around.

The mother does sound like hard work though.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massive remodel going on where I work, the store is looking brilliant so far, the layout makes more sense. Yet im fed up of customers saying 'im off to Morrisons next time' because they dont like the new layout. Yet a few days later they are back again saying how we keep moving stuff. Yet none of the food stock has moved in nearly 2 weeks.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The student discount is odd, my daughter is year 11, 15 years old and she has a student id because she goes out to college for 3 hours one day a week.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    Massive remodel going on where I work, the store is looking brilliant so far, the layout makes more sense. Yet im fed up of customers saying 'im off to Morrisons next time' because they dont like the new layout. Yet a few days later they are back again saying how we keep moving stuff. Yet none of the food stock has moved in nearly 2 weeks.

This sounds like the customers in my shop, because we're a fashion retailer we're constantly moving things around and transferring stock to other stores/getting stock from other stores. So occasionally we'll get a customer come in looking a particular item that has been transferred out (its based on sales figures and carried out by Head Office). When we say we don't have it anymore but can order it in from another branch you get those who moan 'Well I wanted to get that item'. Yes, well I'm sure Head Office will bear in mind what you personally liked when they're sending us out our transfer list.

As for the student discount, I agree that its very unclear. I would personally rather they either limited it to university students or extended it to all students above the age of about 16. Then again you get people like that woman who make a big fuss before theyve even came to the till. The girl who was dealing with her is only in the job about a month so I wouldn't say I blame her for sticking by company policy. I tend to be more lenient if the customer doesn't appear to be trying it on apart from during mystery shopper periods as that's the sort of stuff they could mark us down on, not following through with company policy.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I'm new to retail as I joined a supermarket chain that just opened in my town and people were queuing from 8am to be first in!

I've done it but us Brits do have a weird obsession with store openings!

People hear 'store opening' and think 'free stuff' and they go and queue up

Guy i work with will go literally 20 miles to do this if he hears they are handing out a free £10 voucher to the first 50 people in a new store
  • hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a right patronising git in the other night. Fair enough the ticket was wrong and he was over charged but the way he acted about it was over the top. He wanted the manager's name to complain so I wrote it on the receipt and as I handed it back to him he refused to take it and told me to put it on the counter. I could have told him where to put his receipt instead.

Anyway, hope he does complain to head office and then never comes back because none of us like serving him because he makes everyone feel very uncomfortable.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    The student discount is odd, my daughter is year 11, 15 years old and she has a student id because she goes out to college for 3 hours one day a week.

Universities and colleges have students

Schools have pupils
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    What I meant was it might be alright for the customer who doesn't mind having some coins but it's not alright for the cashier.

I been on both sides of this one!

I used to work on a checkout and you'd often find people would only have £10 or £20 notes... that's fine if the total is near to that, but not so fine if the total is £11 and they've only got a £20.

While it's annoying as a cashier, you can't really moan about it because if a customer only has a particular denomination it's not their fault. Blame cash machines for only issuing £10 or £20 notes.
    Forum Member
    Stand in the way while you put out stock.

Similarly there are some shop staff (particularly in supermarkets) that think filling the shelves is their only priority and that they don't even have to be aware of customers around them.

A few times now I've been trying to get something off the shelf, but the shop worker is completely standing in the way - or blocking access with his/her trolley thing. I always ask politely (e.g "sorry can I just get to that please?") and sometimes I'm met with a glare. It's like... well, if no customers came here to shop, you wouldn't even be stocking shelves so don't give me attitude purely for daring to politely ask if I can get my shopping from the shelf. :p

I hasten to add this only happens very occasionally.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    I been on both sides of this one!

I used to work on a checkout and you'd often find people would only have £10 or £20 notes... that's fine if the total is near to that, but not so fine if the total is £11 and they've only got a £20.

While it's annoying as a cashier, you can't really moan about it because if a customer only has a particular denomination it's not their fault. Blame cash machines for only issuing £10 or £20 notes.

Payday was always the worst for that.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a kid of about six or seven who decided to wee on the shop floor yesterday.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who want to know how much the total is when I'm still scanning their goods in.

Baffles me

One of my mates does this, takes two big trolleys round, is in the shop an hour +, fills them both with food but only takes £X amount (in cash) and has to ask half way through what the total is. He then decides what he doesn't want out of the stuff that hasn't been scanned yet.

I don't go shopping with him any more!
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    One of my mates does this, takes two big trolleys round, is in the shop an hour +, fills them both with food but only takes £X amount (in cash) and has to ask half way through what the total is. He then decides what he doesn't want out of the stuff that hasn't been scanned yet.

I don't go shopping with him any more!

Christmas present sorted, Buy him a calculator
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Customers who pay by bringing bags of coins 1, 2 & 5p and think they are clever...well not anymore, but only just found the following out, which I wish I knew years ago.

Paying in 1p & 2p pieces is only legal tender up to an amount not exceeding 20p, 5p & 10p is up to £5 and 20p & 50p up to £10...exceeding those amounts is then at the discretion of the business, if they accept or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a lovely shift today!

We offer a collect plus service so people can order stuff from any retailer and have them delivered to our store for free. Anyway, a lady had bought a top from an online retailer and the stitching had come apart, very annoying. However, rather than sending the top back, she came in ranting and raving because I wouldn't give her a refund. A million and one times I told her that I couldn't give a refund for a top from New Look, but she wouldn't listen. Was calling me all sorts.

And again, groups of teenagers coming in, choosing alcohol, and trying to pay for it together when only one of them has ID. You'd think they would learn by now not to do it, be more subtle kids!
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    Christmas present sorted, Buy him a calculator

Or introduce him to the debit card.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Universities and colleges have students

Schools have pupils

Maybe only primary schools have pupils these days. "Students" seems to be generally used in high schools. Schools used to have "scholars" at one time, but fashions change.
  • Dawn_ThomasDawn_Thomas Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I work in a cafe, and I really do love it (it's small but most of the customer's are regulars) but the one thing that annoys me is when new customer's come in and ask for a pot of tea. I ask if they want a mug or pot, and they always reply pot.

And then when I get a teapot out of the cupboard, they look at me like I'm thick and say "No, a mug". I think some people around here haven't discovered what a teapot look's like lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Had a kid of about six or seven who decided to wee on the shop floor yesterday.....

In my old place of work one of the regulars allowed their dog to shit right in the middle of the doorway. She had a nice laugh about it, naturally, but it was a slight shame she walked off instead of apologising and clearing it up.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Similarly there are some shop staff (particularly in supermarkets) that think filling the shelves is their only priority and that they don't even have to be aware of customers around them.

It depends.

If i'm using a pallet jack then people need to get out of the way. As a person with a basket or a trolley you can move in many more directions and quicker than i can with my pallet jack.

When using a pallet jack certain safety rules apply and i'm not breaking them and getting into trouble because some customers (you seem to have your head on right :)) want me to get out of the way as quickly as possible.

Though on the other hand if i just have a cage or a trolley of items then i do try to give as much space as possible for people and will move if asked :)

What i don't like is some people with prams and mobility scooters who think i can somehow disappear in 5 seconds and get out of their way. It don't work like that.
This discussion has been closed.