Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    RPMRPM Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something I don't want to see ratings for is the Big Brother final tonight, Worst series ever and best forgotten about.

I disagree. It ended being an enjoyable series. I hated the first couple of weeks but then got into it.

Casting was definitely an issue initially. The age range was too young and it felt like watching a youth club but the twists shook things up.

I'm sure that Endemol will learn from this.
  • Options
    dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    That's horrific unless it added more than 250k on +1.

What were you expecting for the worst final 6 ever?
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1.28m for BB with +1. How horrific. Laughable. Odd as it was constantly hitting 1.3m+ and even 1.4m three weeks back. Horrific finalists though so expected.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    EE: 5.84m (31.8%)
    C MasterChef: 4.05m (20.6%)
    BBC News at 10: 4.06m (23.3%)
    JustChrisM wrote: »
    Married at First Sight: 2.1m (10.7%)

Thanks Neil and Chris.

Married at First Sight is growing. Big Brother had a weak series ratings wise and EastEnders actually topped the night.

Thursday soap ratings.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a658813/uk-tv-ratings-eastenders-grabs-58m-with-latest-lucy-beale-twist.html#~piGZaCRl0nw9KF
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1.28m for BB with +1. How horrific. Laughable. Odd as it was constantly hitting 1.3m+ and even 1.4m three weeks back. Horrific finalists though so expected.

There wasn't anyone to connect to this series, Just actors these days alongside outside contact which end up killing it off.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member

It is in no way it. This series has fluctuated between 1.1 1.2 1.3 and 1.4 occasionally. The small rises between each has been laughable. I know the BB Ratings Thread is to discuss the ratings but the constant spin room activity day in and day out on such small movements was laughable. Thank god its over.

I never expected the final to rate well. I never knew it was the final until a few days ago.
  • Options
    TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member

The funny thing is that even if Marc had stayed, the final would be such an obvious win for him there would be absolutely no point watching either. There was no way to salvage this trainwreck.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There wasn't anyone to connect to this series, Just actors these days alongside outside contact which end up killing it off.

BB is a classic scenario. Break the few basic parameters of the show and it is broken. It's morphed into something else. Enjoyed by a digital TV type audience that survive on scripted tv but long gone the mainstream audience. CBB was always different on C4 and it can survive in the cold winter nights slot when folks are skint but away from that the franchise is on its last legs.
  • Options
    AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soaps Comparisons With Last Year:

Coronation Street: N/A (No thursday episode last year)

EastEnders: 5.11m
    up 830k yoy

Emmerdale: 4.93m & 4.85m
    first episode up 500k yoy, second up 430k yoy

Very good for the soaps, both up on last year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dennisboy wrote: »
    Soaps Comparisons With Last Year:

Coronation Street: N/A (No thursday episode last year)

EastEnders: 5.11m
    up 830k yoy

Emmerdale: 4.93m & 4.85m
    first episode up 500k yoy, second up 430k yoy

Very good for the soaps, both up on last year.
    Wow that good for both soaps.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    EE beating CS worth a mention too.
  • Options
    AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    EE beating CS worth a mention too.
    CS was out of slot to be honest but still poor for it. EE did excellently.
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The normal version continues to rate badly, but still Channel 5 recommission it more fool them.
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the roundups over the last few days, Dully. :)
    Very welcome Pizza. :)
    ftv wrote: »
    ITV Media is a strange web site, it has a ratings section but goes for about a week without updating the ratings.
    It seems to update on a Wednesday which also happens to be the BBC's worst day of the week at the moment. :D Better than nothing.

Thursday 16th July 2015

BBC One

19:30 - EastEnders: 5.84m (31.8%)
    Up 730k yoy
    20:00- DIY SOS: The Big Build: 3.68m (19.1%)
    21:00 - Celebrity Masterchef: 4.05m (20.6%)
    22:00 - BBC News at Ten: 4.06m (23.3%)
    22:45 - Motorway Cops: 2.17m (20.0%)

BBC Two

09:00- Golf: The Open Championship: 800k
    11 hours of coverage peaked at 1.5m
    20:00 - Ireland's Wild River: The Mighty Shannon: 1.21m (6.3%)
    21:00 - Coast: 1.61m (8.2%)
    22:00 - Mock The Week: 1.48m (8.7%)

ITV

19:00- Emmerdale: 5.43m (31.4%), +1: 161k
    Up 500k yoy
    19:30 - Tonight: 2.36m (12.9%) ; +1: 86k
    20:00 - Emmerdale: 5.28m (28.1%); +1: 206k
    Up 430k yoy
    20:30 - Coronation Street: 5.56m (28.2%); +1: 196k
    Joint 4th lowest rating of the year
    21:00 - Superhospital: 2.25m (11.4%); +1: 156k

Channel 4

18:30- Hollyoaks: 695k (4.6%)
    20:00 - Grand Designs: 920k (4.8%)
    21:00 - Married at First Sight: 1.76m (8.9%); +1: 349k

Channel 5

13:15- Home and Away: 157k (2.5%)
    13:45- Neighbours: 582k (9.9%)
    17:30- Neighbours: 554k (4.7%)
    18:00- Home and Away: 479k (3.5%)
    20:00 - The Holiday Airport: Sun, Sea and Scousers: 585k (3%)
    21:00 - Big Brother Final: 1.22m (6.7%) ; +1: 61k
    22:45 - Big Brother's Bit on the Side: 500k (5.6%); +1: 78k

BBC Three

22:00 - EastEnders: 378k (2.2%)

E4

19:00- Hollyoaks: 662k (3.8%), +1: 112k
    #Best rating since May 18th
    * top multichannel show of the day

5*

18:30- Home and Away: 238k (1.6%)

Sky Living

20:00 - America's Next Top Model: 137k (0.7%)
    21:00 - Madam Secretary: 171k (0.9%)

Sources: DS (1), (2), Mediatel, @liamhamilton16 & NeilVW.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    Very welcome Pizza. :)

It seems to update on a Wednesday which also happens to be the BBC's worst day of the week at the moment. :D Better than nothing.

Thursday 16th July 2015

BBC One

19:30 - EastEnders: 5.84m (31.8%)
    Up 730k yoy
    20:00- DIY SOS: The Big Build: 3.68m (19.1%)
    21:00 - Celebrity Masterchef: 4.05m (20.6%)
    22:00 - BBC News at Ten: 4.06m (23.3%)
    22:45 - Motorway Cops: 2.17m (20.0%)

BBC Two

09:00- Golf: The Open Championship: 800k
    11 hours of coverage peaked at 1.5m
    20:00 - Ireland's Wild River: The Mighty Shannon: 1.21m (6.3%)
    21:00 - Coast: 1.61m (8.2%)
    22:00 - Mock The Week: 1.48m (8.7%)

ITV

19:00- Emmerdale: 5.43m (31.4%), +1: 161k
    Up 500k yoy
    19:30 - Tonight: 2.36m (12.9%) ; +1: 86k
    20:00 - Emmerdale: 5.28m (28.1%); +1: 206k
    Up 430k yoy
    20:30 - Coronation Street: 5.56m (28.2%); +1: 196k
    Joint 4th lowest rating of the year
    21:00 - Superhospital: 2.25m (11.4%); +1: 156k

Channel 4

18:30- Hollyoaks: 695k (4.6%)
    20:00 - Grand Designs: 920k (4.8%)
    21:00 - Married at First Sight: 1.76m (8.9%); +1: 349k

Channel 5

13:15- Home and Away: 157k (2.5%)
    13:45- Neighbours: 582k (9.9%)
    17:30- Neighbours: 554k (4.7%)
    18:00- Home and Away: 479k (3.5%)
    20:00 - The Holiday Airport: Sun, Sea and Scousers: 585k (3%)
    21:00 - Big Brother Final: 1.22m (6.7%) ; +1: 61k
    22:45 - Big Brother's Bit on the Side: 500k (5.6%); +1: 78k

BBC Three

22:00 - EastEnders: 378k (2.2%)

E4

19:00- Hollyoaks: 662k (3.8%), +1: 112k
    #Best rating since May 18th
    * top multichannel show of the day

5*

18:30- Home and Away: 238k (1.6%)

Sky Living

20:00 - America's Next Top Model: 137k (0.7%)
    21:00 - Madam Secretary: 171k (0.9%)

Sources: DS (1), (2), Mediatel, @liamhamilton16 & NeilVW.

Something that would be nice to see is the Davis Cup getting higher ratings then The Open this weekend, The golf is not really tradition anymore as its moving to pay tv.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Of Me wrote: »
    The normal version continues to rate badly, but still Channel 5 recommission it more fool them.

They'll most likely looking at shares instead of numbers hence why they may be happy as it sometimes doubles the share average, but the numbers as actual figures, it's poor.

C5 have ruined the civilian series, the only great series of the normal version was in 2013. CBB on the other hand has plenty of life in it, it has had its fair share of decent series on C5, and a couple which are held up quite highly. This summer CBB will struggle after a long BB and certainly will hit CBB low, but they will rise back up for January, which must be noted, have risen in average every series... 2.6m, 2.8m, 3.0m and 3.1m in order.

C5 don't give a monkeys about the regular series so it's clear they only care for CBB, hence the better cast, the better tasks, much better promo, more consistent time slots, more live feed etc...
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant for the soaps to be up year on year.Proves that the soaps can rise. Shame for the BB final but Channel 5 only have themselves to blame.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange that there was such a short gap between filming and transmission. I remember being surprised by a Karl Howman interview one year where he said all the studio stuff for each week's Brush Strokes was being filmed a few days before transmission. I can't remember whether it was the 1990 series being filmed on Sundays and shown on Thursdays, or the 1991 series being filmed on Thursdays and shown on Sundays!

I'm back, having moved in. One of the first things I watched when I last moved to a new town in 2004 was an episode of Top of the Pops from 2004. One of the first things I watched in this new town in 2015 was an episode of Top of the Pops from 1980.

They did often film stuff really close to transmission in those days, the Generation Game was always filmed in the week of transmission, and there was one on YouTube from the seventies where Brucie was ill that week so Anthea comes on and apologises and introduces a repeat (alongside Arthur Negus, who was presumably booked to appear). And of course that carried on until the nineties, cos he was ill for one in 1994 as well.

On the Blankety Blank repeats on Challenge, the first ever episode was clearly filmed very close to transmission as there were references to Ian Dury and the pre-Christmas 1978 BBC strike. But then things like Big Break used to be filmed ages in advance and stockpiled.
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    Why are BBC One airing Death In Paradise repeats when my tv guide says that the Motorway Cops on Thursday at 10:45 is new? Surely it makes more sense to air M Cops at 9 for a couple of weeks.

Well, the Radio Times suggested it was a repeat, although I notice the EPG suggests it was new, so maybe it was a revised repeat or something. And it's only one episode, of course.
    Quite interesting to see 2 months after it debuted, EastEnders went from 17 million down to 9 million by some weeks in April 1985. By April 1986 it was over 20 million and famously would be over 30 million later that year!

We know why it collapsed a bit in the early days, it was initially at 7pm, the same time as Emmerdale, and the idea was that it would start pulling in big audiences when Emmerdale went off for the summer, as it used to in those days, but ITV decided to, er, not take it off for the summer (and indeed it hasn't been off ever since). So the Beeb moved 'stEnders to 7.30 instead.
    Charnham wrote: »
    looking online, alot of the articles suggest Christmas rather than Christmas Day, but my point about the Christmas Day line up being stale remains valid

I bet nobody said this when Morecambe and Wise and Only Fools and Horses were on every Christmas Day. Which they were for much longer than anything currently on Christmas Day. And nobody remembers what's on Christmas Day anyway.
    Preceded by a new series of Would I Lie to You? at 8.30pm. :)

That's good, no wonder they've been repeating it twice a week, to get it out of the way for the new run. Some interesting panellists this series, too, like Jermaine Jenas. With that and Pointless we can see why the Beeb managed to nab him rather than Sky.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is BB on all year round on C5 now or something? I thought the 13 week on C4 was long.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/celebrity-big-brother-towies-dan-6088183

Celebrity Big Brother returns on 27th August according to the bottom of the article which, for me, begs the question why they launched the civilian series so early? A six week break seems excessive but I guess they did axe a week from the civilian series so it should have been a five week gap.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God! Steve Williams is back! :D
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll most likely looking at shares instead of numbers hence why they may be happy as it sometimes doubles the share average, but the numbers as actual figures, it's poor.

C5 have ruined the civilian series, the only great series of the normal version was in 2013. CBB on the other hand has plenty of life in it, it has had its fair share of decent series on C5, and a couple which are held up quite highly. This summer CBB will struggle after a long BB and certainly will hit CBB low, but they will rise back up for January, which must be noted, have risen in average every series... 2.6m, 2.8m, 3.0m and 3.1m in order.

C5 don't give a monkeys about the regular series so it's clear they only care for CBB, hence the better cast, the better tasks, much better promo, more consistent time slots, more live feed etc...
    BB is dead, so why not cancel it. When even your only promoter walks away, it's time for Viacom to say goodbye. To me it's like the old Doctor Who in the late eighties, an irrelevance ony hardcore fans would watch and its death in 1989 was barely noticed.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    BB is dead, so why not cancel it. When even your only promoter walks away, it's time for Viacom to say goodbye. To me it's like the old Doctor Who in the late eighties, an irrelevance ony hardcore fans would watch and its death in 1989 was barely noticed.

Why not just give the fans what they want and do a final series, but actually do it justice. Full live feed and stop the ridiculous twists. You then either cancel it, or find that you have a salvageable format. In it's current guise it has no future.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm back, having moved in. One of the first things I watched when I last moved to a new town in 2004 was an episode of Top of the Pops from 2004. One of the first things I watched in this new town in 2015 was an episode of Top of the Pops from 1980.

They did often film stuff really close to transmission in those days, the Generation Game was always filmed in the week of transmission, and there was one on YouTube from the seventies where Brucie was ill that week so Anthea comes on and apologises and introduces a repeat (alongside Arthur Negus, who was presumably booked to appear). And of course that carried on until the nineties, cos he was ill for one in 1994 as well.

On the Blankety Blank repeats on Challenge, the first ever episode was clearly filmed very close to transmission as there were references to Ian Dury and the pre-Christmas 1978 BBC strike. But then things like Big Break used to be filmed ages in advance and stockpiled.
    Happy new home!

Yes, I was a bit surprised when they got Jim Davidson to stand in for the flu-riddled Brucie. It didn't really suit him because it had clearly all been planned around Bruce, and even Jim Davidson's first full series still had the Brucie-style plays which didn't suit Jim at all.

They were filming the Big Breaks every summer at one point, but some of them weren't making it to air until the following spring, and the stockpiling grew when Davidson took over the Generation Game because they were filming the same number of Big Breaks as before, but they were reluctant to show any while the Gen Game was airing a series. They were showing 1998 ones in 2000, but I don't think they recorded any more editions after 1998 until 2001.
    Well, the Radio Times suggested it was a repeat, although I notice the EPG suggests it was new, so maybe it was a revised repeat or something. And it's only one episode, of course.
    I think it was new. :blush:
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something that would be nice to see is the Davis Cup getting higher ratings then The Open this weekend, The golf is not really tradition anymore as its moving to pay tv.

I disagree I would like to see both do well, I love the game golf and am sad its moving to pay TV as I think it could be about to become irellavant to the younger generation. Large(Ish) TV audiences watching the final day of the BBC tournaments was great exposure and got me interested as an 18 year old listening to Peter Alliss and Alex Hay. It was sunday afternoon in front of the telly.

Sadly though looking at the ratings 800k is just not worth it, Is just too small to justify the money sky paid and I think its the correct decision to let it go. Funnily enough I think the bigger audience expensive sports rights are more justifiable to try and keep, Six nations, Fa Cup, Wimbledon, F1. They draw numbers. The small chapter nich events are totally justifiable, its just what the BBc needs to be doing. But big money for what is a popular niche sport to put it one way Is not at all possible.

Remember when ITV put French open coverage on the main channel. 600k, if they were to be paying more that would be totally stupid to continue.
This discussion has been closed.