✭✭✭
    She asked for a Gin & Tonic and make hers a single :D

You see she is trying to cut back :p
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miss_Moo wrote: »
    Well I had come on here to see whether the audience had known before that Zoe couldn't have kids or whether it was a new reveal.

As far as I can remember, she had known there was an issue and tried to get pregnant with Nick but it didn't work. I don't know if it was ever conclusive that she couldn't though.
  • Options
    inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Lee wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think Jacob Masters is going anywhere soon given that he's just been edited slapbang into the middle of the title sequence.

And what a title sequence it is. I'm still bemused by the inclusion of the shot of Max kissing someone (I don't think it's Zoe - it's from an episode quite a while ago) at the bus stop. I expect Honey will now be edited in next week, gurning and holding a cup of coffee.

Medical drama? Could have fooled me.

Hooefully as he's been edited in he can easily be edited out one day soon. Pleeeeaaasssseee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree about the Max bit in the titles - it was fine when he first arrived because that's all he did (:D :p) but I find it quite inappropriate now given how much effort and work has been put into the character.
  • Options
    Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be worse, I suppose. We could have titles in the style of Holby City, replete with shots of actors performing glances in the style of the school-of-Joey-Tribbiani-acting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It could be worse, I suppose. We could have titles in the style of Holby City, replete with shots of actors performing glances in the style of the school-of-Joey-Tribbiani-acting.

Yes, very true!
  • Options
    NMdum1NMdum1 Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seconded! And the presence of Hugh Quarshie looking all pensive given his constant disappearing acts is beginning to get farcical! At least Casualty tries to be in-keeping with the sense of woe that usually accompanies trips to A&Es for reasonably significant reasons....
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear god. I'm finding Jacob so irritating that every time he opens his mouth I'm shouting at the tv "oh just SHUT UP will you" !!

He is the worst thing to happen to Casualty in a long time and that is saying something as the cast at the moment is horrendously bad.

Sigh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping Jacob will mellow now. The past 2 weeks he is been in (what feels like) every scene. I think once he gets into the realms of having his own patient/scenes every episode, it may not seem so bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NMdum1 wrote: »
    Seconded! And the presence of Hugh Quarshie looking all pensive given his constant disappearing acts is beginning to get farcical! At least Casualty tries to be in-keeping with the sense of woe that usually accompanies trips to A&Es for reasonably significant reasons....

Actually, the shots of the actors / characters in the Holby City title sequence are a combination of Joey-Tribbiani-school acting and looks of constipation. It never fails to make me laugh... which I don't think is the intention of Oliver Kent et al.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how old Jacob is supposed to be but Chucky Venn is 42 and looks every day of it imo. So that crack to Connie about her being an older woman is a bit rich given that Amanda Mealing is only 47.

Charlie Fairhead is sexier than Jacob if you ask me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear god. I'm finding Jacob so irritating that every time he opens his mouth I'm shouting at the tv "oh just SHUT UP will you" !!

He is the worst thing to happen to Casualty in a long time and that is saying something as the cast at the moment is horrendously bad.

Sigh.

I agree with you about the cast - the only characters I'm genuinely interested in are Charlie, Tess, Zoe, Dylan and (to an extent), Lily. I would have said Dixie as well but her character has been in limbo since the demise of Jeff.

I can't tell whether it's bad casting or bad storylining / writing - or a combination of both - that is making the current lot such an insipid bunch. I'm sorry to go on about it but why are they re-introducing Chelsee Healey as Honey? As a means of developing Noel's character as a father? Because she'll end up poisoning the ED's patients with her toxic coffee and tea? Because Casualty's casting director took pity on Chelsee Healey who had nothing better to do? Beats me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I'm hoping Jacob will mellow now. The past 2 weeks he is been in (what feels like) every scene. I think once he gets into the realms of having his own patient/scenes every episode, it may not seem so bad.

He probably will. Isn't that symptomatic of modern day Casualty: introduce a character with a big bang and then forget that they ever existed afterwards, with no hint of a storyline? (Not that I'm suggesting this is a bad thing where Jacob Masters is concerned.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He probably will. Isn't that symptomatic of modern day Casualty: introduce a character with a big bang and then forget that they ever existed afterwards, with no hint of a storyline? (Not that I'm suggesting this is a bad thing where Jacob Masters is concerned.)

Pretty much: Ethan, Cal, Lofty, Lily and even Robyn are all examples of this.
  • Options
    BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW only just seen the latest trailer! Zoe and Max's wedding looks pretty damn cool
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    Why did Max's mum come and go without seeing Robyn?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosie Red wrote: »
    Why did Max's mum come and go without seeing Robyn?

I assume Max's dad is married to Robyn's mum so Max's mum may not necessary even know her, or at least not to say hello to.
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Jacob told Lily that Connie wanted to see her, I presume that was an excuse to get her out of the way so they could discharge the little boy. So what happened when Lily went to see Connie, did Connie say she didn't want to see her? Why didn't Lily come back furious not only because the boy had been discharged but sent on a wild goose chase?
    I seem to remember Jacob says something to Connie about "owing her one" at the end, so I'm guessing Connie did him a favour and kept Lily occupied somehow.
  • Options
    Sara_PittSara_Pitt Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else think that Lofty could be Charlie's secret son?

If not that, what other ideas do we have for a cracking storyline for him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie's secret son? That would be a hell of a twist, with the possible niggle that everybody in that bloody hospital seems to be related to somebody else!

If Max knows his step-sister well enough to choose to live with her, Greta knows her step-daughter. Either they spoke off-screen or they'd already agreed the terms of reference. Perhaps they don't get on that well? Or maybe Greta was on a relatively tight-schedule with the train-timetable and they had already agreed to speak no doubt on the topic of Zoe at a later date? It is slightly odd I'll grant.
    skteosk wrote: »
    I seem to remember Jacob says something to Connie about "owing her one" at the end, so I'm guessing Connie did him a favour and kept Lily occupied somehow.
    It's possible - of course that presents a small logic-niggle of its own, that of Connie actually playing along. Perhaps its her own run-in with social services playing out that she would rather give somebody the benefit of the doubt unless its clear-cut? I don't know, sometimes its implied that she's in on more than perhaps the group realises like the thing last summer with the Brothers playing Chess and her letting Cal think she was helping him when it was really Max or that she appear to be in on or at least suspect that cancer kid pranking Cal over the fake naked callender a couple of weeks ago, then other times she's presented as being completely out of touch - Oliver, would you please make up your bloody mind!

It is a weak cast of characters - Cal and Jacob - unsympathetic womanisers. Ethan - weak. Lily - rigid and unempathetic. Robyn - insipid. Max - drifter. Zoe - still too prone to disorder to be truly convincing as an authority figure i.e. getting drunk and puking (off-screen) on Guy Self at that Ball. Rita - ruined. Noel - non-entity and under-developed. Louise - self-important and under-developed. Big Mac - a bit superfluous. Lofty - what's he for? Falling over a lot? Tess - missing purpose. Dixie - so we're finally at the single lesbian wannabe mum in her forties storyline, how depressing! Iain - dark, brooder of whom a little can go a long way. Charlie - there because he's there, because he's there, because he's there....Connie - ruined beyond comprehension by dodgy writing and storylining and survives by the skin of her teeth on a combination of nostaglia and that the fact actor can actually act. There is not a lot of positivity, drive or purpose about these characters. One or two I really actively dislike and in this case, we're not being asked to bare with them and try to imagine it from their point of view the way we were with Old-Connie or Jac Naylor. It's just pathetic really.

I actually think Connie is now a wider metaphor for what's happened in the last several years. A series of reasonably good or solid ideas, poorly executed to the point where you wonder why they bothered and surviving off good will and memories of past glories. This isn't really Connie (she's a Pod Person with the same face and every negative quality emphasised beyond belief) nor is it Casualty of the typical kind, that ship sailed a long time ago. I don't see that they can really do anything about that, for wider BBC reasons discussed many times before here and it might be better to let it get past Year 31 and then kill it in the Summer of 2017 after everybody's contracts start coming up and try something else and that makes me sad but everything has a shelf-life and a natural point to stop and we've more than reached that point I would say....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely Greta isn't Robyn's step-mum? I thought it was Max's dad that married Robyn's mum? I could be wrong though??? Depending on how old Max was when his father started dating Robyn's mum, it's quite possible his mum doesn't have anything to do with her. Even if Max's mum and dad spoke about Max, it doesn't mean Max's mum saw the rest of his new family.

While I don't think Lofty is Charlie's son, I definitely think Charlie might play a part in whatever storyline is coming up for Lofty. From the trailer it seems as though Lofty and Charlie may become closer after whatever happens - we've already seen that Lofty kisses Charlie's head. I suppose Charlie is the ideal confident for Lofty - it's not as if there is anyone else Lofty could ever look up to and therefore ask for advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Lofty is Charlie's son either, it's a stunner of an idea though, but whatever the case, Charlie is a great choice as a mentor and the father-figure Lofty obviously doesn't have and something rather significant has taken place for Lofty to act the way he does in the trailer to Charlie in the meantime....

About the Greta-Robyn mystery, I would be stunned if they hadn't met. My mother isn't close with either her father or step-mother, but that's basically a geographical thing now, the issues of the past Mum has decided to move beyond. Even if you don't see much of each other or even like each other that much, it seems just plain rude to not at least acknowledge the other person somehow when you've been in the same building! I don't know, I would have thought it was basic manners to simply say hello and enquire after each other's health even if you don't like each other - you are in the same family whether you like it or not and unless Robyn is not speaking to her father and her step-mother, they will have to deal with each other occasionally.... Perhaps I have lived too sheltered a life where family is family and even if you hate them, you still make it work somehow?
  • Options
    Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the credits Chucky Venn was credited as Charles Venn. Was that a mistake?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NMdum1 wrote: »
    I don't think Lofty is Charlie's son either, it's a stunner of an idea though, but whatever the case, Charlie is a great choice as a mentor and the father-figure Lofty obviously doesn't have and something rather significant has taken place for Lofty to act the way he does in the trailer to Charlie in the meantime....

About the Greta-Robyn mystery, I would be stunned if they hadn't met. My mother isn't close with either her father or step-mother, but that's basically a geographical thing now, the issues of the past Mum has decided to move beyond. Even if you don't see much of each other or even like each other that much, it seems just plain rude to not at least acknowledge the other person somehow when you've been in the same building! I don't know, I would have thought it was basic manners to simply say hello and enquire after each other's health even if you don't like each other - you are in the same family whether you like it or not and unless Robyn is not speaking to her father and her step-mother, they will have to deal with each other occasionally.... Perhaps I have lived too sheltered a life where family is family and even if you hate them, you still make it work somehow?

I agree with you. Of all the people Max wanted his mum to see (other than Zoe, of course), you would have thought Robyn would be one of them. They may not be blood relatives or there may be family friction but not to even acknowledge that link either suggests that the writers and storyliners didn't think it a scene worth pursuing (which is bizarre given how much screentime was devoted to the two touring the ED) or they completely forgot about the fact that Max and Robyn are half-siblings. I hope for the sake of continuity it wasn't the latter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought they were step-siblings though, not half?
This discussion has been closed.