The Casualty Thread (Spoilers) (Part 5)

Comments

• GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello! For various reasons I've been quite behind with both Casualty and Holby City for a while... I'm very slowly catching up, I just watched Jacob's first episode yesterday (so don't give me any spoilers!)

I was going to avoid the forums for a while, but there is something that has occurred to me about Jacob that I want to put to the forum. I'm not sure if we've learned anything about his background yet, but the fact that in his first episode he knew everyone so well leads me to have an idea where he comes from. (This is going to sound a little weird, so bear with me). I reckon that Jacob is a real person, a fan of the show, who has somehow crossed dimensions from the real world to the fictitious world of Holby, and knows all the staff from his many years of watching Casualty!

I just think this because if I somehow ended up living in my television, playing mind games with all the staff is exactly what I would do. I would find it tremendously entertaining.

What does everyone think?

I love this idea. Maybe this is the 30th anniversary story: Charlie will discover his whole life has been a TV show.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this idea. Maybe this is the 30th anniversary story: Charlie will discover his whole life has been a TV show.

Its rumoured the anniversary storyline, will feature Charlie quiite heavily.
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lilly was a bitch twice in one episode
    Jacob what is he playing at, is he playing both Connie and Rita?
  • NMdum1NMdum1 Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morgsie wrote: »
    Lilly was a bitch twice in one episode
    Jacob what is he playing at, is he playing both Connie and Rita?
    I would be astonished at this point if he weren't? What the hell is it with these people and interpersonal BS, feuds and revenge fantasies? Didn't they see just how crap the Connie-Rita nonsense was given that we knew that it all had to be swept under the carpet in the end just in-order for the show to continue to function? So why do it - its not about strong women squaring off, it's about how weak and unhappy they both were and are in some ways. Not to mention that it was just plain unpleasant and misery is not really what we're tuning-in for?

If he were some kind of a con-man of some kind shouldn't HR have spotted this? Just none of it makes sense. I realise that three weeks is early days but it just doesn't feel right. If it were Doctors versus Nurses crap then that would be one thing but he's just demeaning as well. And it's decimating Connie's character further by turning her into a teenage girl - this woman seduces, she does not simper! Urgh....
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Run, Ethan, run! They're both appalling. :o

No, I like Honey.....she's nice :)

Lily's attempts to sabotage the fledgling relationship are hilarious though. She's trying every trick in the book to derail it :D
  • Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. Charlie Fairhead wakes up in a random NHS hospital and he's being treated by Peter Salt, the Charge Nurse at Bristol Royal Infirmary on whom Charlie is based. Charlie discovers he's been in a coma since Saturday 6th September 1986. Then Peter Salt seeks a second opinion from a female consultant - it's Baz!

Absolutely bonkers but I wouldn't put it past them after the silliness of the film noir episode. If the BBC ever wanted to kill off Casualty once and for all...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are ways to do the fantastical - using a lot of Point of View, internal monologue, mental illness (that one you have to be careful of) and even what happens in the brain when somebody is unconscious/in a coma/at the point of death. You could easily do something unusual from the point of view of a couple of patients.

I just don't think they ever will again, as I've said, because I suspect that this show is being made perfectly for its current core audience - i.e. not us. Shows do change often markedly over long-runs and the people who watched it for incisive drama aren't really around anymore. The teenage girls and the middle-aged and above women who sit through it uncritically and for whom the Cal or Jacob shirtless bits are written are happy so they don't think they have anything to worry about and they won't rock the boat with what is a classically soap opera audience again. They'll stop any experimentation unless they get threatened with the axe and feel they have to try something else in desperation with this Charlie story. It's sad, but that's the way it is, there's no use in moaning about it - try to find its own merits and measure those....

I assume given its been hinted that Paul Unwin managed to integrate everybody in somehow and the flashbacks to young Charlie implies that Charlie may well spend some of it unconscious and working through some things in his own head. Which does make sense given how some people experience traumatic events. They'll have come up with something that shows-off all the core relationships and how Charlie relates to everybody else i.e. character drama. I suspect Unwin will have watched enough rough-cuts at least and read enough scripts of the episodes we're watching now to want to keep it simple and straight-forward, yes atypical just by its subject matter, but also very much about how the group pulls together to meet this crisis, which would be consistent with the dysfunctional family theme they've been pursuing since it started. It should be good because of that. I don't know, I feel quietly optimistic about this one - rather than a lot of storylines when I've felt nothing less than dread about....

Oh and is it possible that Jacob might be spying on the ED for Hanssen? "Restoring the moral compass of the hospital," presumably that means getting rid of people he doesn't personally approve of or whose style he doesn't like? It always is with the powerful. There is no love lost between the Big Giant Swede and Mrs B after-all. He seems overly informed and Hanssen was prowling about a couple of weeks ago, as if he timed it deliberately for when Mrs B was away so that he could see the place without her and try to get some dirt on her so he can push her out?
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Jay Lee wrote: »
    Yes. Charlie Fairhead wakes up in a random NHS hospital and he's being treated by Peter Salt, the Charge Nurse at Bristol Royal Infirmary on whom Charlie is based. Charlie discovers he's been in a coma since Saturday 6th September 1986. Then Peter Salt seeks a second opinion from a female consultant - it's Baz!

Absolutely bonkers but I wouldn't put it past them after the silliness of the film noir episode. If the BBC ever wanted to kill off Casualty once and for all...

It would be more realistic than half of the things that have happened since.

Maybe Charlie was actually in a horrific car accident when he got across the Clifton Suspension Bridge in his first appearance at the start of Gas, and all the rest has been a dream...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be good if they could have got back some characters from the past.

Duffy, Josh, Maggie, the character whho was played by Clive Mantle
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like how Dylan's storyline is progressing - it's so well acted that it is both sad to watch, but also frustrating to see him struggle like this. Really, really well done so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the show taking its normal 1 or 2 week break as normal
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be good if they could have got back some characters from the past.

Duffy, Josh, Maggie, the character whho was played by Clive Mantle

Mike Barratt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NMdum1 wrote: »
    It's sad, but that's the way it is, there's no use in moaning about it - try to find its own merits and measure those...

I like moaning about it and until I'm banned from the thread / forum for being a miserable old f**t who prefers the Casualty of old, when viewers could actually take it seriously as a medical drama series, I'm afraid I will continue to moan about the declining standards on the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Lee wrote: »
    I like moaning about it and until I'm banned from the thread / forum for being a miserable old f**t who prefers the Casualty of old, when viewers could actually take it seriously as a medical drama series, I'm afraid I will continue to moan about the declining standards on the show.
    I find it so frustrating jumping up and down, getting ever more upset about it being crap given that nothing's going to change so I've just decided to let it be its own thing and wait for the better or at least more interesting episodes when they came along, look for the positives and take it for what it is. It's never going to be first-class, unique, incisive, event drama again - that's just not why the BBC continues to plough millions into it - and yes, there's are a lot of things wrong with it, but its not offensive (although they were pushing it last Saturday with the 'Scotland' jokes - I didn't find that funny or cute, it's not like we are at the end of the bloody world, much too cliched and easy or everything north of Carlisle is an unspeakable dump!) and yes, you can see where it could have been so much better, you see the weaknesses and the logic flaws. Comparing it with the earlier years doesn't help either, that will only bring you more heart-ache. It wants to be better than it is, it tries to be better than it is - that's going to have to be enough now, I know that sounds negative, but that's the place we're at.

On the other-hand moaning constantly kinda sucks what fun there still is to be found and you can easily get to the point of "why am I investing all this time and energy then? Why don't I just stop watching?" I've thought about it, but despite its self-evident flaws it's a reasonably pleasant way to spend a Saturday evening with a nice glass of wine or something, when taken on its own terms and that isn't really a bad way to approach a TV entertainment show in-general.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it so frustrating jumping up and down, getting ever more upset about it being crap given that nothing's going to change so I've just decided to let it be its own thing and wait for the better or at least more interesting episodes when they came along, look for the positives and take it for what it is. It's never going to be first-class, unique, incisive, event drama again - that's just not why the BBC continues to plough millions into it - and yes, there's are a lot of things wrong with it, but its not offensive (although they were pushing it last Saturday with the 'Scotland' jokes - I didn't find that funny or cute, it's not like we are at the end of the bloody world, much too cliched and easy or everything north of Carlisle is an unspeakable dump!) and yes, you can see where it could have been so much better, you see the weaknesses and the logic flaws. Comparing it with the earlier years doesn't help either, that will only bring you more heart-ache. It wants to be better than it is, it tries to be better than it is - that's going to have to be enough now, I know that sounds negative, but that's the place we're at.

On the other-hand moaning constantly kinda sucks what fun there still is to be found and you can easily get to the point of "why am I investing all this time and energy then? Why don't I just stop watching?" I've thought about it, but despite its self-evident flaws it's a reasonably pleasant way to spend a Saturday evening with a nice glass of wine or something, when taken on its own terms and that isn't really a bad way to approach a TV entertainment show in-general.

We'll just have to agree to disagree; I'm sure you and plenty of others are ignoring my rants already but, if not, do click on the ignore button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good lord no my dear JayLee! I totally get why you feel that way and it'd make the thread really weird if there's sections missed-out, especially if somebody replies to you and ignoring a poster because you disagree with them sometimes seems plain bad manners. Rant away if that makes you feel better. As I have said before, vive la difference! As long as its good mannered, respectful and reasonably well-argued, what are places such as these for other-wise than a little difference of opinion from time to time?

Although you'll grant me they took the 'Scotland' joke too far, it just wasn't funny....grumble....
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Casualty still gets good reviews on the rare occasions that they do decide to tackle something topical and controversial, the FGM storyline of a couple of years ago being a good example. That kind of thing can still work, there is a market for it.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    I'm probably way off, but I'd guess that the Louise/Jacob connection would be
    that she began training as a nurse alongside him, but withdrew (because of her fear of blood?). It would explain his reaction when he saw her: "What's with the...." - receptionist clothes rather than scrubs? And thus leading to her trying to become a nurse again in the trailer.
    I'm guessing ex-wife or long term girlfriend, don't know why I've put it in spoilers btw, it's just a guess

As for bringing the orange, hair extensionend, terrible actress that is Chelsee Healey back..............why, just why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casualty still gets good reviews on the rare occasions that they do decide to tackle something topical and controversial, the FGM storyline of a couple of years ago being a good example. That kind of thing can still work, there is a market for it.

Agreed. That's an example of them actually making an effort and caring about what gets to screen.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, there have been many times over the years where Casualty has handled tough subjects very well. I hope they continue this.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    WhatsOnTV and TV Times have confirmed that Saturday 15th August is Tess' last episode. I'm really annoyed because it's a rushed exit and Tess deserves a big exit storyline. She has been in Casualty for 12 years. I'm really annoyed with Oliver Kent and Erika Hossington.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kent and Hossington really are not terribly subtle or even very when it comes to exits are they? I'm hoping that she'll continue to be mentioned occasionally from time to time. I did wonder whether her resigning as Clinical Nurse Manager was the beginning of the end for Tess, but at the very least, at least its for something vaguely positive - Granny-hood rather than terrible like death, that would be properly crap! Suzanne Packer has been very loyal to Casualty over the years, a more phased-out exit, say working out her Notice period would have been better than a sudden departure, but this is Holby so we're used to it! And they've remembered her son Sam exists unlike her daughter who appears to have been completely forgotten (I cannot remember her name for the life of me, just that she exists), so that's something! Small victories and all....
  • SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kent and Hossington really are not terribly subtle or even very when it comes to exits are they? I'm hoping that she'll continue to be mentioned occasionally from time to time. I did wonder whether her resigning as Clinical Nurse Manager was the beginning of the end for Tess, but at the very least, at least its for something vaguely positive - Granny-hood rather than terrible like death, that would be properly crap! Suzanne Packer has been very loyal to Casualty over the years, a more phased-out exit, say working out her Notice period would have been better than a sudden departure, but this is Holby so we're used to it! And they've remembered her son Sam exists unlike her daughter who appears to have been completely forgotten (I cannot remember her name for the life of me, just that she exists), so that's something! Small victories and all....
    If I remember rightly she actually had three children when she was in it right at the beginning and her fireman? Husband was still alive. They seem to have forgotten all about the others and even Sam doesn't get mentioned normally which Is odd as with his mental health issues you'd think she'd be a bit more involved in his life. You'd have thought at least one if them could have visited her in hospital too when her life was hanging in the balance and she could have maybe gone to visit them from time to time.
    Not liking this as her departure storyline very much but at least they're not killing her off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least Tess gets a send-off, unlike the inexplicable "one minute he's there, the next he's gone" Ash. So Tess almost sees out Series 29. A pity she won't be around for Series 30, heading into the 30th anniversary proper. Perhaps she'll be asked back for the occasional episode.

And that's another long-term Casualty character gone. Just like that.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethan is too good fro Lilly and Honey. Honey is too thick for him and Lilly is too vindictive.
This discussion has been closed.