What problem does Archbishop Nichols have with gay people?

wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
Forum Member
✭✭
It doesn't get any better with the Catholic Church does it?

Special Masses for gay Catholics at a London church are to be scrapped, the Archbishop of Westminster has said.

Archbishop Vincent Nichols said Masses at Our Lady of the Assumption Church in Warwick Street, Soho, would end.

He said the Masses were not in line with the church's central teaching on sexuality.

Gay rights charity Stonewall said: "It is a real shame he's taken away an opportunity for gay Catholics to celebrate Mass in a safe environment."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20889039

What is the problem Archbishop Nichols clearly has with gay people? He wants to prevent other churches from offering marriage to gay people and he doesn't want gay Catholics to come together to celebrate their faith.

Comments

• TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    He has a problem with everyone that is not his idea of perfect like him.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Yet another homophobic,meddlesome priest who needs to modernise or get out of the church.
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    look

religious people HATE GAYS

factoid
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if he has one, he used to be liberal and anti-gay-sexed it up to appeal to the catholic bigots around the world.

Wasn't he told to do so in order to gain more power with the pope? I get the impression it's politically driven rather than hate.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CatWolf wrote: »
    look

factoid

Not true. There are many religious people who have no prejudice against gay people.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another homophobic,meddlesome priest who needs to modernise or get out of the church.

Doesn't he realise that it is attitudes like his that turn people off religion altogether?
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Doesn't he realise that it is attitudes like his that turn people off religion altogether?

Nope. The likes of him are far too blinkered to get that.
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true. There are many religious people who have no prejudice against gay people.

That's like saying there are BNP members who aren't racist.

Why did they have special gay masses anyway? Can't gay people just go to an ordinary one?
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They don't though, liberalism to gay people made people move from Anglicanism to Catholicism.
    Forum Member
    CatWolf wrote: »
    look

factoid

They don't like women either.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »

Wasn't he told to do so in order to gain more power with the pope? I get the impression it's politically driven rather than hate.

Yeah I would guess it's more like sucking up to the boss even if you don't agree with them.
  • j4the1j4the1 Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has a problem with men's arses.
    Forum Member
    Casual wrote: »
    That's like saying there are BNP members who aren't racist.

Why did they have special gay masses anyway? Can't gay people just go to an ordinary one?

I'd rather go to gay only most things from holidays to swimming.
  • BogzBogz Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't he wear a dress himself?

Closet homosexual imo
  • j4the1j4the1 Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I agree with Archbishop Nichols, Gays should have no right to be a Christian or even step a foot in a church, Why would I be apart of something that hates me?

That's just dumb.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the problem Archbishop Nichols clearly has with gay people? He wants to prevent other churches from offering marriage to gay people and he doesn't want gay Catholics to come together to celebrate their faith.

It's no better than the Tories and Lib Dems banning the CofE from having gay marriages is it really?
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bogz wrote: »
    Doesn't he wear a dress himself?

Closet homosexual imo

Because gay men typically wear dresses. Yup.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have to be surrounded with other gay people to feel 'safe' in a church! What a strange way to segregate!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's in the job description. If Yahweh doesn't like em then they're stuffed aren't they.

If Yahweh says homosexuality is an abhorration of nature then his representatives on Earth have to follow that line too.
  • BogzBogz Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casual wrote: »
    Because gay men typically wear dresses. Yup.

That's not what I meant.....I do think he's in denial, though.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting sick of hearing about all this crap now. Why don't these mindless religious apes just keep there gobs shut and go and live on an island somewhere where they can all worship the mystical sky fairy in harmony
    Forum Member
    j4the1 wrote: »
    To be honest I agree with Archbishop Nichols, Gays should have no right to be a Christian or even step a foot in a church, Why would I be apart of something that hates me?

That's just dumb.

Every person i know who goes to church is gay. I also know plenty of gay clergy.
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a catholic but imo having separate masses for homosexuals is like having separate masses for thiefs, liars, or adulterers. Each one is a sin which God tells us to repent of.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4the1 wrote: »

That's just dumb.

Jesus doesn't hate gays though, if he did I'm pretty sure he would've said so and it would be written in the Gospels somewhere.

I don't know why you'd want to go and hand your hard earned cash to some organisation that hates gay people or covers up paedophilia but I can understand being a 'Christian' and being gay.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every person i know who goes to church is gay. I also know plenty of gay clergy.

I bet they feel safe enough in the building. I'm not religious but if I were to go to church, I'd go when everyone else does!