✭✭
    I can name a few:

Cher Lloyd - "Swagger Jagger"
    Flo Rida - "Good Feeling"
    Pharrell Williams - "Happy"
    Robin Thicke featuring T.I. & Pharrell Williams - "Blurred Lines"
    Carly Rae Jepsen - "Call Me Maybe"
    Psy - "Gangnam Style"

For what reason should they not have been number one?
  • Options
    hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    They're annoying and overplayed and "Good Feeling" didn't deserve it as it ripped off Avicii - "Levels"
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,168
    Forum Member
    They're annoying and overplayed and "Good Feeling" didn't deserve it as it ripped off Avicii - "Levels"

They are probably overplayed because they are so successful commercially. Just a thought.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a difference between songs which shouldn't have been number 1 and popular songs you didn't like.

If a song sold the most that week, then it deserved to be number 1.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I can name a few:

Cher Lloyd - "Swagger Jagger"
    Flo Rida - "Good Feeling"
    Pharrell Williams - "Happy"
    Robin Thicke featuring T.I. & Pharrell Williams - "Blurred Lines"
    Carly Rae Jepsen - "Call Me Maybe"
    Psy - "Gangnam Style"

In other words, just because you don't like them they didn't deserve to sell millions of copies between them? ^_^

Besides, Call Me Maybe in particular was a solid pop song and fully deserved to be hit.
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably showing my age here!

Joe Dolce Shaddap your Face (1980)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs

Brian and Michael: 'Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats And Dogs' Top of the Pops (1978)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVR-PyRC4io

Absolute shite - both of them! Joe Dolce kept Ultravox's Vienna off the number one slot! Unforgivable!
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a difference between songs which shouldn't have been number 1 and popular songs you didn't like.

If a song sold the most that week, then it deserved to be number 1.

Excellent reply and sums it up.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,676
    Forum Member
    Peter Andre - I Feel You (so bland even Peter Andre can't remember how this goes!!!)
    3 Of A Kind - Babycake (it was just the worst #1 at a period of horrendous chart toppers)

There are more obvious offenders but these two really didn't deserve to be UK chart toppers.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »

Brian and Michael: 'Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats And Dogs' Top of the Pops (1978)

Absolute shite - both of them! Joe Dolce kept Ultravox's Vienna off the number one slot! Unforgivable!

'Vienna' was a load of ridiculous, pompous old tosh and I for one am delighted that Shaddup Your Face stopped it getting to No 1.
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    'Vienna' was a load of ridiculous, pompous old tosh and I for one am delighted that Shaddup Your Face stopped it getting to No 1.

On reflection Vienna was rather over the top in a lot of respects to be honest but certainly more interesting that Shaddup Your Face surely? :)

I still have a dislike of Mungo Jerry's "In the Summertime" just because it kept Free's All Right Now from the number one slot.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On reflection Vienna was rather over the top in a lot of respects to be honest but certainly more interesting that Shaddup Your Face surely? :)

I still have a dislike of Mungo Jerry's "In the Summertime" just because it kept Free's All Right Now from the number one slot.

I'm with you on that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, every X Factor winners song except Shayne Ward - "That's My Goal"
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a crime that Madonna's weak and uninspired karaoke version of American Pie hit #1 while the original version by Don McLean peaked at #2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quixotic wrote: »
    It's a crime that Madonna's weak and uninspired karaoke version of American Pie hit #1 while the original version by Don McLean peaked at #2.

Same with Lily Allen's version of "Somewhere Only We Know" when Keane's version peaked at #3
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Same with Lily Allen's version of "Somewhere Only We Know" when Keane's version peaked at #3

Aww I like Lily's version. The production is rather beautiful and think she performed it well. Obviously not quite as good as the original though.

As for American Pie... I think even Madonna herself is ashamed of that. She never performs it live and it has since been omitted from both of her Greatest Hits!
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl Cole- Crazy, Stupid Love an awful song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Miley Cyrus - "Wrecking Ball". The fact it kept Eminem - "Berzerk" off number 1 is even more embarrassing.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was in junior school when that Matchstalk Men song was out, and we had to sing the song at school. Awful stuff. A few years later our music teacher made us all sing Super Trouper (ABBA song. I think he thought of himself as another Benny), while he played the piano. Cringeworthy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gareth Gates' version of "Unchained Melody". It was bad enough Robson & Jerome ruining the song but it was even worse Gareth Gates ruining the song.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Miley Cyrus - "Wrecking Ball". The fact it kept Eminem - "Berzerk" off number 1 is even more embarrassing.

Nothing beats a woman in her underwear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Nothing beats a woman in her underwear.

That was mostly the reason the song went to #1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gareth Gates' version of "Unchained Melody". It was bad enough Robson & Jerome ruining the song but it was even worse Gareth Gates ruining the song.

They didn't ruin the song, they merely helped demonstrate how they weren't as good as some of the acts that previously did versions of the song, or which there have been many.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was mostly the reason the song went to #1

Exactly. The chart is based on commercial success, not artistic merit.

I happen to think it's a very good song and that it really didn't require that video in the first place. It is a beautifully shot video though.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crazy Frog - Axel F

I'm not entirely sure how this one got to #1, because I don't think many people liked it. I felt at the time like people were just buying it for the sake of buying it.