Options

What Christmas movies are on terrestrial this year?

jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
Forum Member
Seems like most of the Christmassy films this year are on Sky. I'm not necessarily against this, just wondering what films are on 'normal' TV this Christmas.

Comments

• Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    How on earth can you come to the conclusion that "most of the Christmassy films this year are on Sky" when you evidently haven't seen any of the FTA schedules yet? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    How on earth can you come to the conclusion that "most of the Christmassy films this year are on Sky" when you evidently haven't seen any of the FTA schedules yet? :confused::confused:

From looking at Sky Christmas TV Channel :)

That's why I asked, not about scheduled but about film rights
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Great Escape
    Bridge Over the River Kwai
    Towering Inferno
    Von Ryan's Express
    The Magnificent Seven

....the usual suspects
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    The Great Escape
    Bridge Over the River Kwai
    Towering Inferno
    Von Ryan's Express
    The Magnificent Seven

....the usual suspects

Wouldnt really call any of those "Christmas movies". Am I missing something here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldnt really call any of those "Christmas movies". Am I missing something here?

I agree but traditionally always shown at Christmas on British TV - the Americans prefer sentimental stuff like It's a Wonderful Life and Wizard of Oz.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In my eyes, a "Christmas film" is a film set at Christmas. But maybe I'm funny like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my eyes, a "Christmas film" is a film set at Christmas. But maybe I'm funny like that.

The BBC premiered Gone with the Wind and ET at Christmas and got huge audiences but neither is really a Christmas film.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Polar Express
    Elf
    The Santa Clause movies with Tim Allen
    Santa Claus the movie with Dudley moore
    A christmas Carol Disney version

these are all likely to be on over xmas
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Home Alone
    Miracle on 34th street the one with Richard Attenborough
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    You've already missed

The Santa Suit
    The Christmas Gift
    Gifts for Christmas
    The Christmas Heart
    and The Case for Christmas

which were on Channel 5 on Saturday. Hope they haven't blown their Christmas budget with that bunch.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Polar Express
    Elf

i have not yet looked, but that is usually on channel 4 about two sundays before Christmas.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Polar Express
    Elf

I could be wrong, but it looks like Sky Movies has the rights to all of these until early 2015, except the Dudley Moore one.

Also on their list are a lot of the other usual suspects - Miracle on 34th Street (both versions), Home Alone, Love Actually, Bad Santa, Gremlins, Jack Frost. Lots more too. Seems this is what the OP was referring to! I remember Sky caused quite a commotion last year when they got the rights to Elf from Channel 4 (last year was the first year for a while that Ch4 didn't show it two weeks before Christmas), so seems they've gone all out this year to do it again!

Despite all that, I'm sure a Muppet's Christmas Carol will show up on Channel 4 as it usually does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what the previous poster said.

Very annoying as I don't have Sky Movies
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but it looks like Sky Movies has the rights to all of these until early 2015, except the Dudley Moore one.

Also on their list are a lot of the other usual suspects - Miracle on 34th Street (both versions), Home Alone, Love Actually, Bad Santa, Gremlins, Jack Frost. Lots more too. Seems this is what the OP was referring to! I remember Sky caused quite a commotion last year when they got the rights to Elf from Channel 4 (last year was the first year for a while that Ch4 didn't show it two weeks before Christmas), so seems they've gone all out this year to do it again!

Despite all that, I'm sure a Muppet's Christmas Carol will show up on Channel 4 as it usually does.

Some of these movies can be owned by Subscription and FTA at the same time due to their age
  • Options
    SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    ....the usual suspects

Wow, I love that film. Kevin Spacey is great in it. When's it on?
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    You've already missed

The Santa Suit
    The Christmas Gift
    Gifts for Christmas
    The Christmas Heart
    and The Case for Christmas

which were on Channel 5 on Saturday. Hope they haven't blown their Christmas budget with that bunch.
    Bit harsh. These made for TV flicks have their audience. They don't claim to be blockbusters.

They also had Polar Express on Sunday, which was too early IMHO.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Disappointing that Elf and Bad Santa are behind the paywall again this year. Further evidence of Sky's unrelenting greed - depriving viewers of content that would otherwise be free-to-air.
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Disappointing that Elf and Bad Santa are behind the paywall again this year. Further evidence of Sky's unrelenting greed - depriving viewers of content that would otherwise be free-to-air.
    I'd actually pay Sky to have to not watch either of those gems! Neither is particularly funny.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

Surely Elf will be on channel closer to Christmas?
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,198
    Forum Member
    It would be nice if ITV showed Home Alone at 8pm after Corrie.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think ITV will maybe yet again show a James Bond film during the holiday season. Although I do like James Bond I have seem most of them to offen. Same with the Carry on films and I was once a fan of the carry on films.
    Think if no good film is on the main channels during the holiday season and if im in I will be using Netfilx or the BT film bolt on that I also have if its still available. As the BT film/box sets are now only available to customers who already have it like me.

Darren
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Think ITV will maybe yet again show a James Bond film during the holiday season. Although I do like James Bond I have seem most of them to offen. Same with the Carry on films and I was once a fan of the carry on films.
    Think if no good film is on the main channels during the holiday season and if im in I will be using Netfilx or the BT film bolt on that I also have if its still available. As the BT film/box sets are now only available to customers who already have it like me.

Darren

I think Skyfall will premiere on Itv this Christmas.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Skyfall will premiere on Itv this Christmas.

Its vanished from Sky Movies so thats actually very likely
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 have Christmas movies on every Saturday for a month.