Why can't they put together a young, fun, girlband for once?

blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Belle Amie and previous girlbands have failed, IMO, because they seem old and far too trendy. They literally wear every single trend in one go. I don't know how old Rebecca in Belle Amie was but I am probably older than her and she looked like my Auntie (no offence to her, she was very pretty, I just felt she didn't suit a band).

I think Hope were the closest to being young and fun, but even they had a few members that were far too slutty to appeal to young girls (i'm sure they were lovely people :p).
Could they not have picked out the younger-looking contestants, rather than ones who look like they are off to a nightclub?
this is not meant to be ageist and personally I don't vote on XF, I just think this sort of band would be more successful.
I think wand have gone this far because they are all young and cute and look like they would ****** you behind the bike shed at most.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Because girls are the ones who vote the most.

Put together groups as a whole generally have it worse because there's no proper "story" behind them, so it's even worse when girls can't fancy them and find them cute (i.e. a girl band).
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,527
    Forum Member
    They can't get it right and win with forming girlbands...

Hope, Miss Frank and Belle Amie all formed at bootcamp and all tired to be different from the norm of what girlbands had appeared before - but all failed.

I think Miss Frank were the best out of the 3, but weren't around long enough to prove it really
  • Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure a girlband will never be popular on the X Factor. The demographics just won't vote for them.

Miss Frank were a far more talented version of Cher (they actually wrote their own raps and could sing) and they got nowhere.

Hope got massive hype and praise and were just rejected constantly.
  • blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure a girlband will never be popular on the X Factor. The demographics just won't vote for them.

I agree, just think picking out younger-looking girls could appeal more to tweens and teens and they haven't tried this yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    blowup wrote: »
    I agree, just think picking out younger-looking girls could appeal more to tweens and teens and they haven't tried this yet.

But they'd probably require teen boys to vote and they probably wouldn't.

It's a strange world with kids. Teenage girls will vote for who they fancy but teen boys will probably ignore any voting whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they'd probably require teen boys to vote and they probably wouldn't.

It's a strange world with kids. Teenage girls will vote for who they fancy but teen boys will probably ignore any voting whatsoever.

But girlbands have been successful in pop music, although not so much now. I think they need to be seen as friends, rather than mid-20s aunties or older girls that would beat the crap out of you.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the odds of an attractive good girl band progressing this competition? None.

This show isn't about talent, it's about - who's got the cutest smile. This isn't really a talent show and the system is extremely flawed.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,259
    Forum Member
    kyri wrote: »
    What the odds of an attractive good girl band progressing this competition? None.

This show isn't about talent, it's about - who's got the cutest smile. This isn't really a talent show and the system is extremely flawed.

I agree, that's why silly little teenage girls should be banned from voting.
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    blowup wrote: »
    But girlbands have been successful in pop music, although not so much now. I think they need to be seen as friends, rather than mid-20s aunties or older girls that would beat the crap out of you.

Well they probably would fair better with the teenage girl vote if people could find them more relatable but thats a difficult task to pull off with a group because they would have to kind of get to know the personalities of all the members first.
  • friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Conways were probably the most likeable of all the girl bands who have been on the X Factor but they had their vocal weaknesses which proved to be their handicap. I still think Futureproof had more chemistry as a group than One Direction do and obviously Hope were better than Belle Amie but overall boybands are always likely to be more successful on the show because of the demographics involved. It's also harder for girl groups on the show to break through because of the success of Girls Aloud, Spice Girls, All Saints and The Saturdays whereas boygroups like JLS and One Direction don't have as much of a problem with being compared to Westlife, Backstreet Boys, Take That or Boyzone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Miss Frank were a far more talented version of Cher (they actually wrote their own raps and could sing) and they got nowhere.

Hope got massive hype and praise and were just rejected constantly.

This is the truth. A girlband would have to be exceptional to succeed on x-factory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They could all be a little bit ugly. Like the Spice Girls!
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like the way the OP says 'fun' girl band. Like 1D are the most exciting, fun boy band in history.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like the way the OP says 'fun' girl band. Like 1D are the most exciting, fun boy band in history.

I meant as opposed to Bell Amie who I think came across as a bit cool, trendy and dull.

edit: i called wand young and cute, at least I think thats why people like them.
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could Husstle have done it? A girl group that wasn't manufactured and did seem to have some ability.

I really liked Miss Frank but think all the other "manufactured" groups have been dire - with this year's two offerings amongst the worst.
  • Skinny TreeSkinny Tree Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trucolorz could have done well. They weren't in any way sexy. Just teenage girls in plaid shirts and coloured jeans.
  • friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Husttle were pretty good and might well have gone further than Belle Amie but Simon thought only one member of Husttle was any good vocally. The problem was that Belle Amie weren't any better vocally in reality and the fact that Husstle were already formed would have surely made it more likely they would have shone in the live shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I think it would be interesting to have a female version of One Direction - an all teenage girlband. But I doubt they'd do as well. Girl bands do do well, for example The Saturdays at the moment, but not so much on shows like this.

As someone else has said, the majority of the votes are from females, and they are unlikely to vote for girl bands. I'm not sure, I'm a girl yet I always seem to have some kind of fascination with girl bands despite not usually being interested in their music at all. Perhaps it is those childhood fantasies of being in a girl band coming out again! But even saying that, I don't usually become as interested in female contestants as I do male ones.

They could try, but I can't see a girl band ever doing that well on the show.
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that girl bands they put together get thrown on stage looking like they've wondered over from the local lap dancing establishment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    More often than not, female acts in this competition have to be more talented than their male counterparts to get noticed by the public and gain a decent fanbase for themselves. That explains why out of the 7 series, there are only two female winners, who happen to have exceptional vocals and are currently the most successful winners.

Nature of the voting demographic aside, I think another problem lies in the fact that we have yet to see an exceptionally talented girlband gracing the XFUK. If any of the past girlbands were of this calibre, I believe they will make it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Husttle were pretty good and might well have gone further than Belle Amie but Simon thought only one member of Husttle was any good vocally. The problem was that Belle Amie weren't any better vocally in reality and the fact that Husstle were already formed would have surely made it more likely they would have shone in the live shows.
    i know this is a old thread but i agree, i just came across 'husstle' on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMrnkcEtYWM

i think they whould have done far better and might have had a chance of winning its a shame cause i would really liked to see a group win for once!!!
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    nathanbatty, are you secretly like Husstle's publicist or something?
    :confused::p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    ha ha lol no just got excited when i saw them on youtube wasnt sure if it was them but look back through some old clips, just wanted to spread the love :)
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Ok, I was just joking :D
    It's nice to see some Husstle supporters though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Spice Girls and The Saturdays weren't formed on a TV show, Girls Aloud were (but the show had a completely different format to XF's). I guess it's all down to the marketing men and not the 'votes'.