George Gently

Comments

• jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I've loved the series, yet again. I find each episode so involving - I feel like I've watched a film rather than a normal TV crime show, I don't know why. All the main three are fantastic actors - I hope there will be more with all three, which is what this episode seemed to be promising. (I can't believe they would write Bacchus as they do if they had any intention of making him the lead, they very rarely if ever let him be right on anything.) Brilliant stuff, one of my favourite things on TV. I do hope they will all do more.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Did I miss a series? Weren't they both face down in a church last time?
    Good point
    I love the relationship between Gently & Bacchus, their banter is the best thing about the show for me.
    George is very soft on Bacchus.
    bilsheene wrote: »
    Nunn seemed to treat Gently as a superior during the interview. They were both Inspectors.
    George is a Chief Inspector and I used to have a car like he has. Even the same colour. :p
  • LabLab Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I'm from the north-east and I have never seen one in my life. I always thought they were a 70s/80s thing. I'm sure they are a few topics you don't know the history of too!.

You must have lead a closeted life. I've lived on the North East Riviera all (45 years) of my life and seen skinheads since I can remember. Most were SWP/ANL persuasion, a minority were NF. Not so many of either nowadays though.
    I don't know if you're all been serious here.
    One of the things I found very annoying on the This is England threads is various FM's saying 'we didn't wear those close then, we didn't say that then'
    So many people forget there were lots of micro cultures then as there are now.
    You find a group of kids who are apparently part of the same sub-culture/group (mods, skins or just plain casuals) living a couple of miles apart and the clothing, slang, behaviour is different.

If it wasn't for the fact that a mate at School got into Mod culture, I'd have said it didn't exist in South London in the 80's, I was a Soul Boy.
    He'd go off getting into fights with other groups, Skins, Casuals, etc, I'd known nothing about and didn't know existed.

Oh someone mentioned the Harrington Jacket, has that ever gone out of fashion?
    Someone somewhere is always wearing one, it's always the 'in thing' somewhere in the country is my guess

Lo and behold, I was waiting for The Game to start on BBC2, so switched on the TV and to fill time caught the tail end of Watchdog where Matt Allwright was sporting said Harrington jacket. Classic black with tartan lining.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    Is that confirmed? Or just hopeful?

Presumably in a new series, Liz Carling will have recovered her looks, George will move in to provide a father for Kit and thus get a new family, and Bacchus and Rachel will argue each other into love.

Or are we just left with the gentle(y) possibility?

Hopeful :p

Gently's last words seemed to suggest that's a possibility. Bacchus will no doubt take over with Rachel, and George will take a back seat.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopeful :p

Gently's last words seemed to suggest that's a possibility. Bacchus will no doubt take over with Rachel, and George will take a back seat.

And would also reduce Martin Shaw's filming schedule somewhat which must be a consideration now he is 70 (gulp!) :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    On the Bacchus and Rachel 'romance' NO, simply NO, just for clarity NO, that way lies ruination, if that's a word.
    Every TV executive is aware that a will-they, won't-they romance is good for ratings. You just know that the production team will be saying this is how they will keep the series fresh for a year or two!

Lisa McGrillis certainly knows where her job security lies; she's always tweeting 'Rachel heart Bacchus 4eva' and similar! :)

This last ep was certainly written in light of the possibility that this would be Martin Shaw's last season; it would've been easy to rewrite the ending to have Gently shot with Bacchus arriving too late to save him. Presumably there was some negotiation going on! I'd expect that Gently will take more of an office role with John and Rachel out in the field; it will make filming a lot easier on Mr Shaw. It's kind of an Ironside scenario, which was on TV at about this time period!

I expect to see the series return. It gets good ratings and sells well overseas. Given the likely reduction in Top Gear income the BBC needs all the marketable TV it can make!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every TV executive is aware that a will-they, won't-they romance is good for ratings. You just know that the production team will be saying this is how they will keep the series fresh for a year or two!

Lisa McGrillis certainly knows where her job security lies; she's always tweeting 'Rachel heart Bacchus 4eva' and similar! :)

This last ep was certainly written in light of the possibility that this would be Martin Shaw's last season; it would've been easy to rewrite the ending to have Gently shot with Bacchus arriving too late to save him. Presumably there was some negotiation going on! I'd expect that Gently will take more of an office role with John and Rachel out in the field; it will make filming a lot easier on Mr Shaw. It's kind of an Ironside scenario, which was on TV at about this time period!

I expect to see the series return. It gets good ratings and sells well overseas. Given the likely reduction in Top Gear income the BBC needs all the marketable TV it can make!

Hang on!

I believe the BBC's actual net income from Top Gear (according to someone on here who professes to be au fait with the finances) is £5M.
    "The BBC can waste that in a week."

My point here, is that when I've suggested ways of saving a similar amount of money through some economies, attempts have been made to shout me down as "it's peanuts when compared with the BBC's income of four billion."

So the loss of Top Gear, really won't affect the BBC in the slightest.

Right, "politics aside,"

According to something my wife says she's read, Martin Shaw is talking about doing more "Judge John Deed."

But it is obvious that the door has been left open for him to return to "Gently," should he choose.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Would someone of Gently's rank be out and about that much anyway?
    Sure we've had this point made before about Police dramas, that senior officers don't do legwork.

As an aside, in the update of Ironside he's all active and wheels himself about and drives himself about, in keeping with the times I suppose, that a disabled senior officer 'could' and would get about under his own steam with using a UPS truck.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    Hang on!

I believe the BBC's actual net income from Top Gear (according to someone on here who professes to be au fait with the finances) is £5M.
    "The BBC can waste that in a week."

My point here, is that when I've suggested ways of saving a similar amount of money through some economies, attempts have been made to shout me down as "it's peanuts when compared with the BBC's income of four billion."

So the loss of Top Gear, really won't affect the BBC in the slightest.

Right, "politics aside,"

According to something my wife says she's read, Martin Shaw is talking about doing more "Judge John Deed."

But it is obvious that the door has been left open for him to return to "Gently," should he choose.

I read a quote attributed to Martin Shaw along the lines of no more 'Gently' for me. Though as you say it's been left open should he wish to return.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure we've had this point made before about Police dramas, that senior officers don't do legwork.

As an aside, in the update of Ironside he's all active and wheels himself about and drives himself about, in keeping with the times I suppose, that a disabled senior officer 'could' and would get about under his own steam with using a UPS truck.

Well, the USA once had a seriously disabled President, so I guess anything is possible. It comes down to whether what we see is believable. I had no real problems with Gently other than his accent.
    We can all nit pick the production values when there's been some glaring mistakes in any "period" drama.

I read a quote attributed to Martin Shaw along the lines of no more 'Gently' for me. Though as you say it's been left open should he wish to return.

It's down to the BBC, whether they want to re-commission either show.

I suspect that given a reasonable break, Martin Shaw would probably go for Judge John Deed, if nothing else is offered and he needs the cash.
  • ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have read interviews where he said he is quite happy to carry on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Lee Ingleby is strong enough as a lead character, nor would I think in reality back then, someone like the character he portrays, would be promoted to inspector
    He just doesn't have the gravitas.
    I love anything Martin Shaw is in, great actor.
    Love this programme, role suits him down to the ground
    I think he's great but I hated him as the pompous Judge Deed.
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    The bit I don't really feel rings true is that Baccus is portrayed as a bigoted, not very bright individual who in the last two episodes has jumped to the easy conclusion straight away - and yet he is getting promoted to Inspector and Gently feels is a priviledge to work with him....
    George appreciates personal loyalty.
    valkay wrote: »
    I don't think line dancing was a 60s thing, it was big in the 90s.
    Just what thought
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    He just doesn't have the gravitas.

I think he's great but I hated him as the pompous Judge Deed.

George appreciates personal loyalty.

Just what thought

I think a form of line dancing was around in the sixties, probably more with C&W enthusiasts.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a form of line dancing was around in the sixties, probably more with C&W enthusiasts.

That was more sort of "Dozy Doe".:D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

I'm guessing that on something like this, a well known 'dance craze' that the BBC have done their research and hardcore C&W types were line dancing back in the 60's.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep, line dancing was around in the sixties, my brother was a big C&W fan and there were a few pubs around the area that had C&W nights in the 60's that were very popular.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Yep, line dancing was around in the sixties, my brother was a big C&W fan and there were a few pubs around the area that had C&W nights in the 60's that were very popular.

It was Square Dancing then, Line dancing came later
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lab wrote: »
    You must have lead a closeted life. I've lived on the North East Riviera all (45 years) of my life and seen skinheads since I can remember. Most were SWP/ANL persuasion, a minority were NF. Not so many of either nowadays though.

Closeted life?. Wow I wish. I am younger than you that is probably what it is.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... I had no real problems with Gently other than his accent. ...

Hi DR, what did you think was wrong with his accent?

K
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »

I don't know for sure but think perhaps there was Country and Western dancing in the form of couples doing dances like the Two Step?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Hi DR, what did you think was wrong with his accent?

K

We've done this many times before, it's all over the place on occasions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liz Carling looks ancient and rough, she doesn't look like Phoebe Sparrow any more. I am guessing she was made up that way and doesn't look that old in real life.
    I would not have recognised her if I hadn't see her name.
    JT Effect wrote: »
    Lol - Jodie Latham's accent was probably the worst Geordie accent I've ever heard attempted.

It doesn't help that I really dislike the actor though.

But he was atrocious.
    He did quite well I thought:blush:
    zoni wrote: »

Thereby returning to a double act of inspector and sergeant like so many cop series before it........so long as they don't try and pair up John and Rachel romantically; that would spoil the dynamics!!
    Agreed. I was very impressed with Rachel. :)

Last season :confused:
    It's different on the tele
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    xander63 wrote: »

This refers to the series that has just finished, which I thought was series 7?
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanaunty wrote: »
    This refers to the series that has just finished, which I thought was series 7?

Sorry, said series 8! I've only watched episode one of series 7 so far.

My apologies for the incorrect post. :confused::)