Twin Sisters : A World Apart : BBC4 : Tuesday

Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This excellent documentary is being repeated at 10.45 pm. Well worth watching, if you've not seen it before.

Can't find the original thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emFMXPrBrMs

Comments

• Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Google finds threads most of the time.

Old thread with program summary if you don't know what this is about.
    Twins adopted by different family's living on opposite sides of the world figuratively and physically.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google finds threads most of the time.

Old thread with program summary if you don't know what this is about.
    Twins adopted by different family's living on opposite sides of the world figuratively and physically.

Thanks for that.

I posted the wrong link before, that belonged to a Motown thread on the Music board.

This was the link I meant to post.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b053pxdt
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this a few months ago when it was last on ... fascinating and really thought provoking ... def worth watching ... I might even watch it again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Norwegian kid got the short straw in the adoption lottery eh ?

Bored to tears in that tiny , icebound fishing village.
    Even her pet mouse [ rat ? ] abandoned her.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know, the kid seemed happy enough. She lived on a farm.
    At seven? she could walk to school without any fear of being accosted. Her sister had to be taken everywhere.
    The Norwegian girl must have had friends amongst the other kids at the school.

I would imagine the makers of the documentary wanted to show how disparate were their lifestyles, so made the contrast seem even more so.

As they would be about twelve now, it would be interesting to see how they have developed.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Unlike some I found the documentary almost unbearably sad. It makes no sense because they are both obviously very happy, and much better off than they were, but for some reason I just felt sad for them.

Also, twins or not I did have a slightly softer spot for Alexandra, the twin growing up in Norway. :D
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As they would be about twelve now, it would be interesting to see how they have developed.

I found an article after I watched it the last time it was on, and in the article it said that the families continued to keep in touch and the Norweigan twin´s English had really improved to the extent that the girls were able to skype regularly and chat online. And I´m sure if said they also all spent a Christmas together, which I thought was really nice ...

It´s one of those stories that you just can´t help wondering about and every now and again I think about them again!
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was thinking the exact opposite, seemed like an idyllic way to grow up.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    peach45 wrote: »
    Unlike some I found the documentary almost unbearably sad. It makes no sense because they are both obviously very happy, and much better off than they were, but for some reason I just felt sad for them.

Also, twins or not I did have a slightly softer spot for Alexandra, the twin growing up in Norway. :D

I felt sad for them too, just felt they ought to be together :(

it really would.
  • BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member

That's funny, I was thinking the opposite while watching it. American culture seems so toxic in comparison. If I had a daughter who would be adopted, I'd much rather she lived in a small Norwegian village, playing outside in the fresh air, running around, catching little mice and generally entertaining herself in the way only children can. In contrast, the one in California was wearing make up going to beauty pageants, was never allowed out by herself, was chaperoned everywhere, had everything she had to do planned out by her parents, eating burgers and going to McDonald's.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    I was thinking the exact opposite, seemed like an idyllic way to grow up.

I thought the same!. It looked absolutely beautiful. I think a lot of people would pay a lot of money to live that way. I hope the twins are doing well. I wonder if they will live together for a while when they are adults?.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends on your viewpoint and values, I suppose. They both appear to have great parents but the Norwegian twin lives closer to nature and appears to have a more meaningful existence. Not saying there's anything wrong with the US but Norway has a very high standard of living and pollution - in all its guises - seems almost non-existent where they are. Conversely the world of child pageantry, with emphasis on aesthetics, what you look like, etc and where most children end up with a sense of entitlement is just wrong.