Rewatching Buffy...

BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When i first went into school Buffy started and i watched it from my first years in school till my final year in primary school (sorry dont know what you call it in England) as it ran my years in primary. I bought Buffy season 1-7 on DVD and i am on season 4.

Season 3 for so far seems to be the best season 1 i liked season 2 was better than season 1 but not as good as 3.

Season 4 seemed a little weak at the beggining, it felt rushed and the big bad at this point is Maggie's son (cant remember his name) he seems weak in character, but it feels like the first half of 4 had some weak episodes but Maggie was a good big bad imo and then the second half her son isnt as good as her but the episodes are better. But Spike is as brilliant as ever, as is Anya or Xander's "Orgasm friend".

Does anyone else feel that season 4 is the weakest out of the first four?

Sorry to bring this conversation up it just i really want to talk about it but no one else that i know will re-watch Buffy.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I agree, Season 4 was weaker than the past ones because they had to change the mechanics of the show somewhat.

As they were no longer in high school, there was no central gathering place for the characters to meet. Some characters had lesser roles like Giles and Xander, and other characters essential to the show's formula were gone completely, namely Angel and Cordelia.

Mind you, there are a few classic comedy episodes in Season 4 (Pangs, Something Blue, Superstar, The Yoko Factor), and the finale for that year (Restless) was superb.

Edit: Walsh's son was called Adam, and yeah, he was a weak big bad next to The Mayor and Faith, Spike and Dru and The Master. No-one comes close to The Mayor IMO.
  • BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope season 5 is better, i cant really remember much about Buffy some stuff I do remember but one episode that is one of the best that you mist out was Hush that was in season 4. I didnt realise i would miss Cordelia in the show but she was brilliant. I was thinking about getting Angel afterwards i dont know if i should as i didnt watch that much when i was younger but now i am older i think perhaps i would appreciate it more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I disagree and have never understood the season four hate. It's full of fantastic standalone episodes, and whilst the overall arc isn't as coherent as in seasons two and three, and Adam's a pretty pathetic baddie, but on the whole it's a very good season.

Off the top of my head, I can think of only three duff episodes in season four (IMO: Beer Bad, Goodbye Iowa, Where the Wild Things Are).

Season Five is my favourite of the entire series. It has excellent standalones, a great Big Bad and an amazing finale.

You should give Angel a chance. I don't like it half as much as BtVS (never really liked or connected with Angel as a character), but it's worth a watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xaphania wrote: »
    I disagree and have never understood the season four hate. It's full of fantastic standalone episodes, and whilst the overall arc isn't as coherent as in seasons two and three, and Adam's a pretty pathetic baddie, but on the whole it's a very good season.

Off the top of my head, I can think of only three duff episodes in season four (IMO: Beer Bad, Goodbye Iowa, Where the Wild Things Are).

Season Five is my favourite of the entire series. It has excellent standalones, a great Big Bad and an amazing finale.

You should give Angel a chance. I don't like it half as much as BtVS (never really liked or connected with Angel as a character), but it's worth a watch.

I dont hate season 4 it just to me not as good as the 3 previous seasons. I am not on season 5 yet but hope its good. I remember season 5s finale very well.
  • seosamhseosamh Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 4 isn't great but compared with what's to come it seems brilliant. Dawn was so bloody annoying it's untrue and the big bads are even worse than Adam (ok Nathan Fillon was alright). Seasons 2 and 3 are the best television I have ever seen - even the duff episodes have a charm all about them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seosamh wrote: »
    Season 4 isn't great but compared with what's to come it seems brilliant. Dawn was so bloody annoying it's untrue and the big bads are even worse than Adam (ok Nathan Fillon was alright). Seasons 2 and 3 are the best television I have ever seen - even the duff episodes have a charm all about them.

Is Evil Willow not even a good big bad in season 6?
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a whole rewatch of the whole series starting January 2008 took me up to May and loved it :D

Buffy couldn't stay at High School forever so the natural progression for her was for the show to move on and do something better so she stayed at Uni for a couple of seasons and you really see the show reinvent intself over the next few years. And I kinda liked season 4 onwards. You really see the quality go up and up throughout but in my opinion they're all worth watching. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I recently watched all of Buffy and Angel for the first time and loved both series. Season 4 of Buffy is definitely my least favourite. I loved the whole Angel/Buffy storyline in Season 2 and the season finale for Season 5 is awesome. Willow was a good big bad
    mostly because you get to see Giles be bad ass
    but she did get a bit tedious in both Season 6 and 7 because of it.
    I didnt realise i would miss Cordelia in the show but she was brilliant. I was thinking about getting Angel afterwards i dont know if i should as i didnt watch that much when i was younger but now i am older i think perhaps i would appreciate it more.

If you miss Cordelia you should definitely get into Angel, she gets so much better in that series. I'm still undecided but I think I enjoyed Angel more than Buffy. I loved his character and it was great to see him develop into something a lot darker than Buffy. It's really sad that it ended so suddenly though.

I got the Angel boxset off Amazon for really cheap back in October, so definitely worth checking it out imo.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i enjoyed s4,at end of the day the worst buffy season is still better than 99% of other stuff out there
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xaphania wrote: »
    I disagree and have never understood the season four hate. It's full of fantastic standalone episodes, and whilst the overall arc isn't as coherent as in seasons two and three, and Adam's a pretty pathetic baddie...
    Umm...that sounds to me like you actually do understand the reasons why some people dislike it. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Umm...that sounds to me like you actually do understand the reasons why some people dislike it. :D

Well, yes... I understand for those reasons, but it seems to be universally reviled in fandom as the worst season of the series, when it really isn't. Which is what I don't fully understand. I think people tend not to look past the not-so-good arc and Big Bad to remember the really great episodes of this season (eg. Hush, Something Blue, Pangs, Who Are You, Restless, A New Man etc.)
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely loved Buffy. And I actually liked season 4, the 'big bad' might not have been fantastic but the characters developed quite a bit and they seemed to be more the focus of the season.

Have to say season five was my favourite, loved every episode, thought Glory was the best villain of the show.

Hated season six with a passion, for quite a few reasons. It just felt like they were rehashing old story lines, and badly at that. Only saving grace was kick ass Giles in the last episode.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    season 4 felt very out of place. some really poor episodes imo.

LOVED angel & its such a shame they cancelled it when it was riding high in the ratings at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    I've been rewatching them all again too and I have to say i found season 4 the most enjoyable. Probably because I completely overwatched seasons 1-3 when I was a teenager. I'm on season 5 right now and finding it a bit of a drag to be honest!

let us know how you get on OP. So jealous you're getting to watch it all for first time. Angel is def worth a go if you like Cordelia. She's brilliant in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the final episode of season 4 last night so on to season 5 today. I really liked the final episode with Buffy, Gile, Willow and Xander having the dreams it was so random at points. Not looking forward to Joyces death though in season 5. I think i like seasons 1-3 better than 4 because Buffy and the slayerets felt more like a group of friends saving the world in Sunnydale in season 1-3 were as season 4 it felt fractured Giles and Xander didnt play a big part, Willow had her own storyline away from the group with breaking up with Oz and getting together with Tara as did Buffy with Riley and the initiative and Riley was boring through out his time in season 4, i thought it was brilliant when Angel returned from LA and kicked his ass.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I pretty much liked all the series. If anything let season 4 down though it had to be Riley. Sorry - but I just think he's a weak character. Let's face it - no-one could hold a torch against Angel (that would be bad lol) and even Spike was better matched with Buffy.

I only had one problem with the Angel series. Not enough Doyle (may he rest in peace). :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Not looking forward to Joyces death though in season 5.

It's pretty sad but The Body is an awesome episode of Buffy. I found Joyce pretty annoying so wasn't too bothered when she died.
    I pretty much liked all the series. If anything let season 4 down though it had to be Riley. Sorry - but I just think he's a weak character. Let's face it - no-one could hold a torch against Angel (that would be bad lol) and even Spike was better matched with Buffy.

I only had one problem with the Angel series. Not enough Doyle (may he rest in peace). :cry:

I hated Riley with a passion. It was great to see Angel smack him up :D
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 4 has a weak 'big bad' - but it also has what I would argue is one of the best standalone Buffy episodes ever (possibly THE best): 'Hush'. Careering effortlessly between scary and funny, it's some of the best writing on the show ever and yet another demonstration of Joss Whedon's genius. :cool::cool::cool:

I'd argue that JW showrunning Buffy and Angel became rather evident across Series 4-7: some real stand-out episodes in both shows (check out 'I Will Remember You' from Angel Series 1), but they rather lost the consistency the first three series of Buffy had. Sorry, Joss, but let's face it, nobody can be that good all the time. :)

But, as others have said, a weak episode of Buffy is still streets ahead of so many other shows ...
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i always liked riley,

maybe cos most buffy fans hated him or maybe just cos he was a genuine nice guy

bit of both i guess
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the first four eps of season 5 and i am really glad that Giles has bought the Magic Box the scoobie gang now have a place to meet properly and Buffy has Giles as her watcher again. I have read alot of people on here dont like Dawn but she doesnt bother me that much. When does the big bad come to the fore, i know her name is Glory and Dawn is the key but not much else from the season.
  • ajr493ajr493 Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i always liked riley,

maybe cos most buffy fans hated him or maybe just cos he was a genuine nice guy

bit of both i guess

I had a soft spot for Riley too although I LOVED the episode when he and Angel ahd a dust-up with Riley convinced Angel had gone bad and Buffy telling both of them to stop otherwise she'd kick their arses - and they knew she could!!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Season 4 had it's moments. It gave us Willow & Tara, after all.

The actress playing Maggie Walsh left halfway through, which is why Adam's part was beefed up.

I preferred season 5, Dawn included. Season 6 I found dreary, and although Alyson Hannigan was excellent as a Vampire, I found her acting as Evil Willow to be terrible, and the way she was dispatched by being reminded of a crayon was weak.

Season 7 I really like, even with one of the worst English accents EVER.
  • superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The big bad really dominates the second half of the season, but episode 6ish is where you're introduced to her. I love Dawn btw, thought she was awful in S5, but really came into her own by S7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Season 4 had it's moments. It gave us Willow & Tara, after all.

The actress playing Maggie Walsh left halfway through, which is why Adam's part was beefed up.

I preferred season 5, Dawn included. Season 6 I found dreary, and although Alyson Hannigan was excellent as a Vampire, I found her acting as Evil Willow to be terrible, and the way she was dispatched by being reminded of a crayon was weak.

Season 7 I really like, even with one of the worst English accents EVER.

Yeah it was strange as she seemed to be a good big bad, she wasnt physically strong but she was clever its a shame what a waste of such great potential.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Season 5 is Gloryous.