Options

What is Next Monday all About?

Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been surprised by the number of people who have said to me over the last couple of days that it has been great to have the Christmas break to get away from it for a few days (if, of course, you have been that lucky - many no longer get such breaks) but what the hell is next Monday all about?

We are all out partying or doing whatever on Friday Night/Saturday morning. This then leaves the rest of Saturday and Sunday to recover. Why do we need Monday as well? The country is supposedly struggling to creep out of recession. Do we really need such a bank holiday?

Comments

• Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More damage to the economy as the nation has another day off work.
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The country is supposedly struggling to creep out of recession. Do we really need such a bank holiday?
    Bank Holidays like this help the economy. People get so bored that they end up having to go to sales at DFS and the like to escape the tedium.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's too much. We have an obsession with compensating for days which fall at the weekend which becomes counter-productive when the calendar produces this scenario every few years.
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    555 wrote: »
    More damage to the economy as the nation has another day off work.

How did we cope in the 70's with a 3 day week.:eek:
  • Options
    vicktrickvicktrick Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I love bank holidays, no work but still getting paid, woo hoo
  • Options
    Lincoln HawkLincoln Hawk Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There does seem to have been a lot of holiday days this year. Not good when stuff like bins being emptied doesn't happen and there is rubbish in the street.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    It's too much. We have an obsession with compensating for days which fall at the weekend which becomes counter-productive when the calendar produces this scenario every few years.

I get a couple of weeks off anyway but it would seem unfair for workers to have to class their unpaid weekends as time off for Christmas.
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been surprised by the number of people who have said to me over the last couple of days that it has been great to have the Christmas break to get away from it for a few days (if, of course, you have been that lucky - many no longer get such breaks) but what the hell is next Monday all about?

We are all out partying or doing whatever on Friday Night/Saturday morning. This then leaves the rest of Saturday and Sunday to recover. Why do we need Monday as well? The country is supposedly struggling to creep out of recession. Do we really need such a bank holiday?

You do realise how bank holidays work? :confused: Have you got a job?
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm going to spend my day off productively by getting absolutely bladdered. Feel like shit at work on Tuesday but at least getting paid for the hangover, eh? :cool:
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

It's the same amount of time off that we normally get (well, it's two days longer for me, but that's because I normally work Saturdays) - it's just with Christmas and New Year falling on Saturday's it seems longer.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    El Guapo wrote: »
    You do realise how bank holidays work? :confused: Have you got a job?

I do and I have, thank you. It doesn't change my opinion in those few minutes about whether we really need Monday as a bank holiday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I for one am very grateful for getting an extra day off work. I've worked hard this year, working 6 days a week and have managed to get almost 2 weeks off work while only having to take a few of them as annual leave. I'm certainly not going to moan about being given an extra day off. :)
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do and I have, thank you. It doesn't change my opinion in those few minutes about whether we really need Monday as a bank holiday.

If we didnt have one you'd be complaining.

Why are people never happy? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I get a couple of weeks off anyway but it would seem unfair for workers to have to class their unpaid weekends as time off for Christmas.

Many other countries went back to work on Monday - most stock exchanges in Europe were trading for example, and it looked ridiculous for our markets to be closed for two days when everywhere else was open as usual.

I'd suggest that the obvious solution would be to say that when Christmas and New Year fall at the weekend, the holidays should not simply be moved to the next weekday, but an extra day could be taken at any time within a specified period. Many people must be sitting around twiddling their thumbs, just wishing that they could get on with their work now and then take the time off when it suits them better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting Tuesday as well, do we need it, probably not, but it's a public holiday up here, so why not?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many other countries went back to work on Monday - most stock exchanges in Europe were trading for example, and it looked ridiculous for our markets to be closed for two days when everywhere else was open as usual.

I'd suggest that the obvious solution would be to say that when Christmas and New Year fall at the weekend, the holidays should not simply be moved to the next weekday, but an extra day could be taken at any time within a specified period. Many people must be sitting around twiddling their thumbs, just wishing that they could get on with their work now and then take the time off when it suits them better.

So what should happen when Christmas and Boxing Day falls either on a Thursday Friday or a Monday Tuesday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    So what should happen when Christmas and Boxing Day falls either on a Thursday Friday or a Monday Tuesday?

I think the real problem is not Christmas but New Year, which comes along so quickly after Christmas. Most people probably don't mind a few days off at Christmas, even if they are not really people who take a lot of notice of the event itself. New Year's Day used to be a normal working day in England & Wales, but now we have this rather silly scenario where people are just sitting around waiting to get back to normal.

I'd suggest one possibility which might work would be to turn the Friday before New Year into the official holiday when Jan 1st falls on either Saturday or Sunday.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I think the real problem is not Christmas but New Year, which comes along so quickly after Christmas. Most people probably don't mind a few days off at Christmas, even if they are not really people who take a lot of notice of the event itself. New Year's Day used to be a normal working day in England & Wales, but now we have this rather silly scenario where people are just sitting around waiting to get back to normal.

I'd suggest one possibility which might work would be to turn the Friday before New Year into the official holiday when Jan 1st falls on either Saturday or Sunday.

Which would give us exactly the same amount of time off as we have now, as Friday isn't a bank holiday (personally I'm not working, but Mr AK and many others are).
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And you are honestly happy about losing a days holiday every time a bank holiday is at a weekend?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

So instead of having Saturday, Sunday and Monday off we will have Friday, Saturday and Monday?;)

Maybe people could have the option to return to work earlier and take the time off later in the year with some companies who would rather open.

You know it used to be normal to have Christmas and Boxing Day off with such as retail..............heck it used to be normal for Sunday to be a day when retail didn't function. Good thing or bad thing? I'm not sure myself

One thing that has got my goat and that is solicitors closing from Christmas Eve until next Tuesday, now that is for personal reasons and who am I to call people having the whole Christmas off :o
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is another example of the failing education system in our schools.

We have every January 3rd 2011 off, so this 2011, will be no different to any other 2011.

Please learn about our every January 3rd 2011 day off which we call the January 3rd 2011 day off.
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because that is how it works! And yes we do need Monday off! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been a good day for Prince William to get married to save all this happening again in a few months.
  • Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would those be the same European countries that already get more bank holidays than us?
  • Options
    4pounds644pounds64 Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britain only has 8 bank holidays per year, we get some of the fewest official national holidays in the world.

It looks ridiculous for our stock market to be closed when others are open? Not really, I don't see us complaining and sniggering when other countries take a bank holiday on their national saints day, the day marking the birth of their monarch or an important battle in their history.

Have a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_holidays_by_country#Albania

People are not robots and need time away from work, bank holidays, even if they're not taken on the day, are still given as part of peoples allowance. If it really bothers you that much, no one is forcing you to use your legally alloted amount of annual leave. Just make sure you leave 8 days at the end of the year to give back to your employee - or go to work on the bank holiday itself - might be a waste of time but if your boss doesn't mind go for it.

You could always help out the economy by going shopping if your that bothered or are you waiting for VAT to go up so you can contribute more?

**Edit to add - Just looking at Japans list (now there's some hard workers!) and I love their reasons for their public holidays - a 'coming of age day' to celebrate everybody who turns 20 that year and a day when they celebrate their elderly. I think we should adopt those 2!