Options

Are people going seriously OTT in regards to this baby swap?

Frankie_boyFrankie_boy Posts: 147
Forum Member
Are you all so wrapped up in EastEnders to the point in controls your lives like this? :confused:

I'm finding some of the OTT posts hilarious.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've come to the conclusion that some people on here are attention seekers. Take no notice, its all become very boring :yawn::yawn:
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I was about to start a thread just like this. As much as I love it, it is only a TV. It is meant to be dramatic and EE has never shied away from grittiness. Ronnie is put into this extremely horrendous position and having lost two children just does something incredibly desperate in the heat of the moment which she will probably regret for the rest of her life. Yes, it's going to be heartbreaking but I know what I am sitting down to and wouldnt watch if I didnt want to.
  • Options
    tweeeed_xtweeeed_x Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some people are, definately.

i can understand why some people may not want to watch it, whether it be due to the s/l being a bit too close to home or it just being a little to sensitive for their liking. fair enough, they won't watch it.

but some are taking it WAY to far, complaining before the ep has even aired. i be they still go on to watch it though, and complain again :rolleyes:
  • Options
    EastiesRules!EastiesRules! Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I've come to the conclusion that some on here either have very empty lives or actually think EE's is real. :eek:
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they are. People who never post on Eastenders threads or don't even watch are suddenly outraged by it all and posting everywhere saying they are offended. And it's amazing how many people know somebody or someone who has gone through the same thing (I'm not saying people haven't been through the horrible ordeal, but it's far too many now and suspicious).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    tweeeed_x wrote: »
    some people are, definately.

i can understand why some people may not want to watch it, whether it be due to the s/l being a bit too close to home or it just being a little to sensitive for their liking. fair enough, they won't watch it.

but some are taking it WAY to far, complaining before the ep has even aired. i be they still go on to watch it though, and complain again :rolleyes:

I agree, can't believe how strongly people feel about it. I always watch EE but i won't be tomorrow as things like that really do get to me and stick in my head so i don't really want to be feeling that way NYE, i might record it and watch it at a later date though....If people don't like it they should just not watch SIMPLE :)
  • Options
    EastiesRules!EastiesRules! Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    kyri wrote: »
    Of course they are. People who never post on Eastenders threads or don't even watch are suddenly outraged by it all and posting everywhere saying they are offended. And it's amazing how many people know somebody or someone who has gone through the same thing (I'm not saying people haven't been through the horrible ordeal, but it's far too many now and suspicious).

I'm pleased you have said this. I have also noticed how suddenly 98% of users have suffered a brush with SIDS at some point. Not to point fingers or accuse people of being liars but given they slate EE all the time its a funny coincidence they pull that one out of the hat. If they are lying its sick.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pleased you have said this. I have also noticed how suddenly 98% of users have suffered a brush with SIDS at some point. Not to point fingers or accuse people of being liars but given they slate EE all the time its a funny coincidence they pull that one out of the hat. If they are lying its sick.
    I've held back from saying it because it is a really bold statement to make and can be really offensive to those who have been through it - but it's getting beyond ridiculous now. Some people can handle things differently to others in regards to storylines on a TV show; and although some who have dealt with cot death may find the story offensive, I really fail to see why. I know somebody who has been murdered - yet I don't get up in arms whenever somebody is killed monthly in Eastenders. It's fictional - it's made up, these characters don't exist!
  • Options
    RockbirdRockbird Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Are you all so wrapped up in EastEnders to the point in controls your lives like this? :confused:

I'm finding some of the OTT posts hilarious.

You have a point, but when you've watched something three times a week for the last 25 years it does become part of your life. That's not the same as it controlling your life.

I asked this a while ago and never really got an answer. I wonder if the fors and againsts are roughly split into non parents/parents. Maybe I'm wrong but it may explain why I can't get my head round the whole thing and the next person can.
  • Options
    notfussynotfussy Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think accusing those who have lost a child of making it up is constructive here, do you?
    For genuine reasons I will not be watching. If I had confidence in the storyline not being treated with sensationalism then perhaps I would feel differently. I do not have this confidence.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    I think that people should wait and watch before they go all psycho.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think that people should wait and watch before they go all psycho.

I agree. I can't judge as I have never lost a child.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Kyri does have a point to a degree people do get too engrossed with EE and its characters, it is at the end of the day a fictional soap, it isn't real all theses plots are just based or dramatized from real life events in order for it be translated on to the screen.

I do sympathise with people that have gone though this, I haven't so I don't know how they would feel but at the end of the day EE isn't the first to cover this and won't be the last.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People go batty when it relates to babies.

Same with animals, like that cat bin lady.

Yet they will happily watch someone brain Archie with a bust of Queen Victoria. I don't really get it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to addmitt I'm actually rather shocked by the reaction now. I don't think anyone can actually judge before they've seen. Those who have been through it yes I can understand why they don't want to watch it and I really do respect that BUT with others I feel ALOT of people are really taking the mick now.
    It's a shame because the uproar will be remembered rather than the actual storyline. People will be talking about the publics reaction rather than the amazing acting etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    People go batty when it relates to babies.

Same with animals, like that cat bin lady.

Yet they will happily watch someone brain Archie with a bust of Queen Victoria. I don't really get it.

Exactly. :D Murder is worse than swapping babies. I really don't get it.
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    What happens to a bunch of fictitious characters moves me not a whit.

What does bother me is the constant dredge of misery that is presented to the viewing public as "entertainment". Like tossing prisoners to the lions; like bear-baiting; like cock-fighting.

For this reason, I have given up watching EE. That is my adult choice but it still doesn't stop me having major concerns about the garbage that is churned out through the television.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren__ wrote: »
    I have to addmitt I'm actually rather shocked by the reaction now. I don't think anyone can actually judge before they've seen. Those who have been through it yes I can understand why they don't want to watch it and I really do respect that BUT with others I feel ALOT of people are really taking the mick now.
    It's a shame because the uproar will be remembered rather than the actual storyline. People will be talking about the publics reaction rather than the amazing acting etc

I think its very small minorty. How many people actually care about what happens to some made up character? Some will watch the episode and will have enjoyed it, other would have not liked the episode so much but wouldn't really think about it much cos they've got better things worry about . <0.1% of the people who have watched the episode will have nothing better to do than complain.

I agree with you about most people remembering the reactions. Wasn't there something about Sam W losing out on award during Danielle reveal because fans reactions were OTT.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    It's getting on my boobies, don't like it, don't watch, simple as that, these people are spoiling for those of us who want to watch it.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are they bothered about the swapping, or the death
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    xTonix wrote: »
    It's getting on my boobies, don't like it, don't watch, simple as that, these people are spoiling for those of us who want to watch it.

Couldn't agree more. The only reason they are making a fuss is because it involves a baby, a fictional baby. What these people fail to grasp about the story is that the cot death and swap are just catalysts for the drama surrounding the characters back-stories involving children and the issues they've had in their lives, it's also about how the death of a baby can affect a wide number of people.

It amazes me that there are people who are saying that they are going to stop watching EE (or at least the episodes in question). In this respect, the storyline looks like it will work because it's already hit a nerve with some people.

It's a shame that a loud minority have to ruin it for the rest of us.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    EE fans going overboard?

Nah, that'd never happen.
  • Options
    catchphrasecatchphrase Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Everyone is within their rights to complain on here its a open forum after all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also suspect the people on here moaning tomorrow will be the same ones who said they weren't going to watch it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren__ wrote: »
    I also suspect the people on here moaning tomorrow will be the same ones who said they weren't going to watch it :rolleyes:

Oh yes! They will watch it, just so they can complain. :D The others who won't watch will still probably moan.