Can anyone tell me which is better in the following for CD's and DVD's:

Sound.

What I mean is which is better for sound:

Is it CD or DVD?

Comments

• Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVD much higher capacity means less compression. They tried to launch DVD-A around 10 years ago but it was a failure because it needed a dedicated player.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think DVD audio is a higher bit rate, like 24K whereas its 16K on audio CD, or something like that.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I would say DVD has the better audio normally, but.....

.....there are certain CD's that will match DVD's in audio greatness, I'm referring to those that have DTS audio.

I have a few DVD's and CD's that have DTS 96/24 soundtracks placed on them, personally I can't tell the difference.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if the OP is talking about original material purchased or whether they want to burn music to a disk and are wondering if one medium is better than the other.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean what is the best to buy then either SACD (super audio cd) or DVDA (DVD-Audio) are the best formats but you will need a special player - they won't work in a normal cd or dvd player.
    Players are expensive - Sony ones only play sacd so you will probably want a universal player for both sacd and dvda which means Denon, Oppo, or maybe Pioneer.
    An example denon player:
    http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=HomeTheatre&SubId=BlurayUniversalPlayer&ProductId=DBT1713UD

An example Pioneer player:
    http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/42/84/222/BDP-LX55/page.html

The pioneer is about £250.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    I think DVD audio is a higher bit rate, like 24K whereas its 16K on audio CD, or something like that.
    24k bitrate would sound totally crap no matter what bitrate reduction scheme you used. Unless you mean bits per sample, which could be 24 or 16 (that is 24 not 24,000).
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Depends if the OP is talking about original material purchased or whether they want to burn music to a disk and are wondering if one medium is better than the other.

I'm on about Realtek HD Audio Manager.

On it there's a tab called (Default Format).

There's a choice of CD or DVD quality sound.

So, which one do I pick?

CD or DVD?
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    I'm on about Realtek HD Audio Manager.

On it there's a tab called (Default Format).

There's a choice of CD or DVD quality sound.

So, which one do I pick?

CD or DVD?

CD quality is 16bits/44100Hz and DVD quality is 16 bits/48000Hz.

16bits/44100 is the standard for audio CD's - 16bits/48000 is the standard for digital video/TV recordings.

Try them both but I doubt you will hear a noticeable difference.