Horse Racing 2015

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DartGuru wrote: »
    I see he was off the track from Oct-11 to Jan-14. He wasn't one of Al Zarooni's banned horses, so was he injured?

Apparently he did have a 'dope ban'

the Racing Post says this in the review of his Meydan run......

"Zip Top was a very smart 2yo for Jim Bolger, notably running second to Camelot in the Racing Post Trophy, but he´d been absent since (banned for six months last year after testing positive for anabolic steroid) and this wasn´t a promising return"
  • DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Apparently he did have a 'dope ban'

the Racing Post says this in the review of his Meydan run......

"Zip Top was a very smart 2yo for Jim Bolger, notably running second to Camelot in the Racing Post Trophy, but he´d been absent since (banned for six months last year after testing positive for anabolic steroid) and this wasn´t a promising return"

Ah, found in the second batch of seven that included Encke.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/22600972
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one who won't be defending their title

Dynaste will not be able to defend his crown in the Ryanair Chase at Cheltenham next month after being ruled out for the season. with injury.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/2/9699265/dynaste-out-for-season-with-injury
  • RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So AP mccoy has just announced he will be retiring at the end of the season.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AP McCoy to retire at the end of the season. What a man. Greatest jockey, greatest sportsman. True legend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely DL !........I wonder what brought this decision on ?

From the outside it doesn't look as though he's lost anything.......but I think that latest injury took a lot more out of him than was apparent at the time

AP.........must be the greatest jump jockey of all time !
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An absolute sporting legend, how many sportsmen can claim to have won their top title every year of their professional career?!

19 soon to be 20 times champion enjoy your retirement AP :)
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Wow! The end of a era whatever way you look at it. There will never be another AP McCoy
    Forum Member
    For those that didn't see it here's the retirement announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e05DQiIO90o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope all goes well between now and the end of of the season

A true legend

It just showed his first winner on Legal Steps at Thurles when he was 17 in 1992

He looked like Lester Piggott....:o:D
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notice he's saying he'll retire 'by' the end of the season rather than 'at' the end of the season and said he wants to go out on a winner.

He'll ride Cheltenham and Aintree for definite all being well injury wise but suspect if he won the national that would be it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I expect he wants to do a bit of a lap of honour round the tracks and say his goodbyes to all the backroom staff at each track

But if he did win a championship race at Cheltenham it would be pretty tempting to climb off and say 'that's it' !

Why risk getting injured in a novice chase round Towcester when you've already decided to quit.......that would be a disaster !.......:o
    Forum Member
    It's totally undeserved for such a great man that he has only 1 grand national to his name. I guess that's the pure luck of the race
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Derby to be moved to 4.30pm to try to improve Channel 4 Racing viewing figures.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fancy Arthur's Oak in the 4.15 at Sandown today.
    Unexposed. Could get an easy lead (Aidan Coleman a positive as well as he often frontruns). Step down to 2m from 2m4f last time could well suit. Speed figure is one of the best in the race (despite only 2 chase runs). Probbaly won;t matter in a slowly run race but it does suggest he has the required class.

Although it's a 10 runner hanicap chase, the others don't excite me greatly so 6/1 best price looks decent value to me.

Incidentally, Ut Majeur Ulmes could be one to lay. in-running. He often travels well but finds little at the finish.

I am getting into trading on Betfair recently. Been concentrating on backing horses that are likely to lead a race, to then lay in-running at a shorter price. A lay to back angle could be interesting though for horses like Ut Majeur Ulmes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wrong thread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure where else it should go?

It's not a system selection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Not sure where else it should go?

It's not a system selection.

Sorry, should have said "post deleted as wrong thread" :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK!

My tips in themselves might be a good lay on the exchanges anyway :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've gone for Seek The Fair Land in the 2.10 at Lingfield as my first bet of 2015......:o

Got 2/1 at Stan James

He's won the last 3 times he's dropped into claiming company and beat today current favourite (Jubilee Brig) in this race last year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bookies running scared now that I'm on.........Seek The Fair Land has been backed into favourite.........:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh well........I'll give it another few months then have another go........:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    I fancy Arthur's Oak in the 4.15 at Sandown today.
    Unexposed. Could get an easy lead (Aidan Coleman a positive as well as he often frontruns). Step down to 2m from 2m4f last time could well suit. Speed figure is one of the best in the race (despite only 2 chase runs). Probbaly won;t matter in a slowly run race but it does suggest he has the required class.

Although it's a 10 runner hanicap chase, the others don't excite me greatly so 6/1 best price looks decent value to me.

Incidentally, Ut Majeur Ulmes could be one to lay. in-running. He often travels well but finds little at the finish.

I am getting into trading on Betfair recently. Been concentrating on backing horses that are likely to lead a race, to then lay in-running at a shorter price. A lay to back angle could be interesting though for horses like Ut Majeur Ulmes.

Did at least come 2nd at an e/w price earlier in the day of 6/1
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Richard Hughes announces he is to retire from race riding at the end of the upcoming flat season.

Big blow to racing to lose Hughesie and AP in the same year. Hughesie though won't be far away as he plans to become a trainer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listened to a terrific AP McCoy Special on Radio 5

Well worth catching up with on listen again or as a podcast

AP goes through his top 10 horses as well as other stuff