Options

Minions

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Don't know if it was down to the cinema I was in being so hot it felt like I was in a bloody oven or the fact I'm just too old now but this really didn't work for me. Think I laughed twice.

Comments

• Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off to see this tonight. Hopefully it will be as good as the trailer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be interested to know your thoughts. I liked the trailer as well but it just wasn't happening in the film itself.

There's apparently extra scenes during the end credits and a scene after they've finished as well so make sure you stick around - I didn't as i just wanted to get out and get somewhere cooler!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be interested to know your thoughts. I liked the trailer as well but it just wasn't happening in the film itself.

There's apparently extra scenes during the end credits and a scene after they've finished as well so make sure you stick around - I didn't as i just wanted to get out and get somewhere cooler!

Thanks the heads up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the film last night, and I quiet enjoyed it. Its not as good as the Despicable Me films and I think that is partly down to the whole film being about the Minions rather than the Minions appearing in funny situations.

I can also confirm that there are some mid credits scene and an end credit scene.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Kermode was raving about this film on the BBC at the weekend which surprised me if I'm honest.
  • Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it yesterday and it had me in stiches :L ive been very dissapointed at some of the latest relases lately and Minions didnt disappoint at all :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Yup, laughed from the Universal logo, all the way through the film, through the end credits, and most if the way home.

Also, as a republican I will now only refer to La Cucaracha as La Cucaracha.

I'm 38, and my kids rumbled the fact that we were only going because I wanted to see it.
  • Options
    ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there any point in watching this in 3d
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member

I only watch 2D. It's not going to be any funnier in 3D ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2D as well for me. I'm surprised more people haven't seen it yet as I thought it was the only new big release last week
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it last night...probably laughed twice, actually the trailers for Hotel Transylvania 2 and Inside Out were actually funnier. Despicable Me was far better.

My daughter really enjoyed it though, so that is the important thing.
  • Options
    Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Yeah my girls loved it, and what children think matters more than the feelings of a bunch of old fogeys! At least for the commercial organisations involved in this - lots of merchandise all over the place that they wanted.. :( My girls haven't thought about anything else in the last six months, and I've spent a few pounds (although my kids are quite sensible and only wanted or two, very inexpensive things).

Anyway, i thought it was OK, quite a few laughs, but generally I was very bored. Disappointed I think, cos I like Despicable Me. I'm more looking forward to Inside Out TBH.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah my girls loved it, and what children think matters more than the feelings of a bunch of old fogeys! At least for the commercial organisations involved in this - lots of merchandise all over the place that they wanted.. :( My girls haven't thought about anything else in the last six months, and I've spent a few pounds (although my kids are quite sensible and only wanted or two, very inexpensive things).

Anyway, i thought it was OK, quite a few laughs, but generally I was very bored. Disappointed I think, cos I like Despicable Me. I'm more looking forward to Inside Out TBH.

Me to, with mine again not very expensive things either...but on the plus side because she went a little dressed up, she got a free cinema ticket...think that will be used for Inside Out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really, no. I saw it in 3D on Sunday purely for practical reasons more than anything else and also that the price (£4) wasn't any different.

Didn't really add anything to the film, but then I don't generally think 3D does to be fair.
  • Options
    davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A plea to anyone who's seen this, or is intending to before Sunday.

I'm taking my 7 year old autistic son to see this on Sunday morning, at a spacial autism friendly performance.

He finds countdowns distressing so I am trying to find out if there are any within the film. You know the kind of thing - "3,2,1" etc either on screen or spoken.

I've contacted the studio, but no reply as of yet.

If anyone who's seen it (or is going to) can remember any scenes having such content I'd be really grateful to know roughly when so I can prepare my son with ear defenders and hands over eyes!

First film I'm attempting to take him to and I so want it to be an enjoyable experience for him.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From memory I can't remember there being any countdowns in the film
  • Options
    davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From memory I can't remember there being any countdowns in the film
    Thanks. He'll be relieved. :)
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davisa wrote: »
    A plea to anyone who's seen this, or is intending to before Sunday.

I'm taking my 7 year old autistic son to see this on Sunday morning, at a spacial autism friendly performance.

He finds countdowns distressing so I am trying to find out if there are any within the film. You know the kind of thing - "3,2,1" etc either on screen or spoken.

I've contacted the studio, but no reply as of yet.

If anyone who's seen it (or is going to) can remember any scenes having such content I'd be really grateful to know roughly when so I can prepare my son with ear defenders and hands over eyes!

First film I'm attempting to take him to and I so want it to be an enjoyable experience for him.

:)

I can't answer your question, not having seen the film yet (and we intend to as I love The Minions!) so really hope it went well. Isn't it strange how our autistic kids have these odd triggers? Mine can't stand "happy birthday" being sung so we can't take him to see, for example, the brilliant The Railway Children where "happy birthday" is sung a couple of times in the show. He'd claw his way out out of the audience to get away - tricky, in a live show!

Let us know how you got on...
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I've not seen the actual film yet (and going by the response on here I may skip and wait for Inside Out) but just a general warning. I know my local cinema sometimes plays a countdown just before the film starts similar to this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQCZRm8QlPE

Edit - Whoops! Sorry I see I am a bit late. I hope that he enjoyed the film and there were no issues for you :)
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jxbrenna wrote: »
    Watched it yesterday and it had me in stiches :L ive been very dissapointed at some of the latest relases lately and Minions didnt disappoint at all :)
    indiekid76 wrote: »
    Yup, laughed from the Universal logo, all the way through the film, through the end credits, and most if the way home.

Also, as a republican I will now only refer to La Cucaracha as La Cucaracha.

I'm 38, and my kids rumbled the fact that we were only going because I wanted to see it.

I'm with you two, saw it on Sunday with three 7-year-old boys (and my OH) and we all absolutely loved it.
    Had an immense soundtrack as well.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it yesterday.

We were told by the member of staff who came in at the end to sweep up the popcorn that there was a funny bit after all the credits had finished. So we stayed and yes, it was funny.

I think people have got so used to high-quality animation that they almost take films like Minions for granted now. The animation is stunning, there is fantastic attention to detail and it's just a pleasure to watch. The Minion-speak is often hilarious and their cover versions of 60s classics are great.

If there's a major flaw it's that without sympathetic human characters, the film lacks an emotional core. It's fun, but you don't care what happens.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    "Mnar-mnar-brrp-brrp-arck-arck-weeee......." *

*Translation: We're rich, we're rich! Yay!

Minions join the club, becoming not just the fourth $1bn film of the year but also the third on the trot for Universal after F7 and Jurassic World.

A very big year for results and there could be one or two more as well of course (SW, Spectre etc).
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was somewhat boring and nonsensical. The incoherent language got annoying, as well. But more importantly, I rarely laughed and found the movie barely amusing at times.