Options

IS 'blows up' major Palmyra temple

KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34103994

Disgusting, if we needed more proof of why we need to eliminate ISIS asap this is it.

We had months where ISIS did not target these important relics and people sat on their backsides and just waited for them. Now you got what you wanted!

We should chemically nuke the Palmyra site and get rid of these rats asap! They have even created their own currency!

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're basically idiots who are trying to keep people ignorant of historical facts. Their aim is probably to create a state where all everyone will know is Islam. IS seem to be very against anyone being knowledgeable about history.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Kings of the Land of Rubble.

Leave them to it.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    They're basically idiots who are trying to keep people ignorant of historical facts. Their aim is probably to create a state where all everyone will know is Islam. IS seem to be very against anyone being knowledgeable about history.
    Idiots they aren't. They know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it. Their aim is to create ignorance among the rank and file
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idiots they aren't. They know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it. Their aim is to create ignorance among the rank and file

I didn't say they didn't. In fact, I said why they were doing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I didn't say they didn't. In fact, I said why they were doing it.

I don't agree they are idiots. Mentally ill perhaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    I don't agree they are idiots. Mentally ill perhaps.

I'm guessing you and the other poster are thinking in literal terms when it comes to the word idiot. I was using the word idiot loosely.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and again.

Better up that tweet count!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top of the headlines today!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34111092

They totally smashed it, the world should react before they destroy the castle and the theatre.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they left the arch/doorway at the front still standing? Maybe it didn't have any pictures/carvings on it?
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Eventually when the situation is brought under control, there should be work undertaken to rebuild it all, going from photographic and video records of what was there, that would ultimately show them. Meanwhile before that, all the major nations of the world are not responding to the humanitarian situation caused by the thickest people on the planet, they're leaving it only to the Kurdish peshmerga. There are 7 billion people worldwide and only about 50'000 of ISIS, it must be possible to descend on Syria in huge numbers to simply outnumber ISIS and prevent them, if several million came from all other nations to prevent this sort of thing and any more bloody tyranny by them in what should be a civilised and highly technological planet by now.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eventually when the situation is brought under control, there should be work undertaken to rebuild it all, going from photographic and video records of what was there, that would ultimately show them. Meanwhile before that, all the major nations of the world are not responding to the humanitarian situation caused by the thickest people on the planet, they're leaving it only to the Kurdish peshmerga. There are 7 billion people worldwide and only about 50'000 of ISIS, it must be possible to descend on Syria in huge numbers to simply outnumber ISIS and prevent them, if several million came from all other nations to prevent this sort of thing and any more bloody tyranny by them in what should be a civilised and highly technological planet by now.

Nothing stopping you going and leading the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kanye West should take this fight to ISIS, that way he can become a true star.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Kerry just been speaking on CNN, says a ground force is needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »

Is Titchmarsh going in to rebuild the garden?
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I thought we had spy satellites and drones. Thought it we saw them in the area could just zap them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Is Titchmarsh going in to rebuild the garden?

:D

Going to send Charlie Dimmock in to tak em out with her jugs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    I thought we had spy satellites and drones. Thought it we saw them in the area could just zap them.

I don't think drones will be able to stay in flight 24/7 in case IS do anything. Drones will likely be sent over when the US government wants to target something small.

Edit: I might be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that government drones are more accurate than planes being flown by humans, obviously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

There'll be no history left over there by the time those cowards are defeated.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Why rebuild it exactly? It is a shame that it has been destroyed, but being destroyed is now part of its history, like many buildings and artefacts over the ages. If you're going to build something, build something better, not a facsimile of something that has gone forever.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    It's tragic that priceless ancient artefacts and architecture are being destroyed in this way. It's just another way for ISIS to cause shock and outrage. They will keep pushing the boundaries until they are bombed out of existence, and the sooner the better.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're far from stupid. They're selling everything they can move. After years of trying to bring the black antiquities market, it's now one of their main money spinners. So while they hate teh past they seem quite happy to make a fast buck from it.
  • Options
    supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erasing history and culture just the same way they will be vapourised from history. Then humanity can move on and forget.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    ... So while they hate the past they seem quite happy to make a fast buck from it.
    And since for the most part we only see the aftermath or at best once the destruction has started, we don't know how much is salvaged first - presumably a long-term economic plan, in however-many years time all these things start turning up 'thought to have been lost' and our museums and collectors will be grateful for the opportunity to pay lots of money for them.
  • Options
    Mike FinlayMike Finlay Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »

We do.

There's some that say IS are controlled opposition by 'The Powers That Be'.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We do.

There's some that say IS are controlled opposition by 'The Powers That Be'.

And those people would be talking cobblers.