Google Play Music Match

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Virgin Mobile

£10 - 150 Min, utd texts, utd data (10GB fair usage)
    £12 - 250 Min, utd texts, utd data (10GB fair usage)
    £17 - 1200 Min, utd texts, utd data (10GB fair usage)

No contract, hardly expensive is it?

That is pretty good apart from one problem. It is Virgin, which uses T-Mobile, which is to be honest the worse network I have even seen, even below Orange if that is possible.

so yeah,you got unlimited use, not that it is Unlimited if it got a 10GB fair usage, but then you can't use it because there is no signal
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flynn wrote: »
    No, it's All You Can Eat on Three. I've heard the odd rumour of people getting a text if they do something like 30Gb in a month but that's it. I use 2-2.5 Gb most months.

I know Three does a pretty good deal on data and I was thinking of looking at three after my Vodafone contract ones out, but I remember when I had them as PAYG, 3G was a bit iffy and I think they now use T-mobile network as a back up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    You can get AYCE data on Three for £9.90/month (if you use a cashback site like Quidco it works out around £6.90/month), so hardly plenty of money.

i used three a few years back on PAYG, and it was a bit iffy around here, as I said above, I was thinking of changing to it after the contract I got runs out.
    Not so much for Data, but because they are cheaper than Vodafone.
    I got a old Three phone, I may get a PAYG sim and try it out.
    Saying that, i have no data allowance at all on my phone (unless you count 256Kb/month of GPRS data) and i have all my music in GMusic. Wifi is pretty ubiquitous in the UK, especially with all those BT Homehubs out there allowing access via Fon.
    I got 500MB on mine and I doubt I use half of it, I should use it more as I am paying for it. Fon I would have to pay for and around here I did not find that many people with it where I wanted it to be.
    Could be a little different now with the new home hubs and their better wi-fi, but I doubt it.

Google recently launched gift cards in the US, so when it comes here you'll be able to buy them in various shops and use with your Play account without having to provide CC/DC details.

I don't think so, Nothing I really want. the few apps I need are free, I don't need thousands of apps that do nothing,
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    That is pretty good apart from one problem. It is Virgin, which uses T-Mobile, which is to be honest the worse network I have even seen, even below Orange if that is possible.

so yeah,you got unlimited use, not that it is Unlimited if it got a 10GB fair usage, but then you can't use it because there is no signal

That's nonsense, for starters tmobile has access to orange which has access to threes networks which in the west of Scotland has far better speeds than O2 or vodafone.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I would give it a go. So on Tuesday I installed the Music Manager and was astonished to see it flying through the uploading of my tracks [I'm on a standard 8Mb broadband package, so upload is slow].

However, on Wednesday and yesterday it has all slowed to the painful pace I was really expecting so have to wonder if it's all worth it.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, on Wednesday and yesterday it has all slowed to the painful pace I was really expecting so have to wonder if it's all worth it.

I've also found it's slowed right down but it may well be due to the demand on the servers as more people become aware of it
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably slowed down because it's now uploading the songs it couldn't match - if it can identify a track on your PC and match it with one that Google already have on their servers then it won't upload your copy, it will use their own.

I found it did about 2/3 of mine really quickly, then the rest took a while. Just leave it going in the background, it's not as if it needs babysitting....
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flynn wrote: »
    It's probably slowed down because it's now uploading the songs it couldn't match - if it can identify a track on your PC and match it with one that Google already have on their servers then it won't upload your copy, it will use their own.

I found it did about 2/3 of mine really quickly, then the rest took a while. Just leave it going in the background, it's not as if it needs babysitting....

True. But at the same time I've found I've had to moderate the upload speed in the settings otherwise it just snuffles all the upload bandwidth and brings sufing the internet generally to a crawl. This is going to take forever.
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I thought I would give it a go. So on Tuesday I installed the Music Manager and was astonished to see it flying through the uploading of my tracks [I'm on a standard 8Mb broadband package, so upload is slow].

I'm on a 100MB connection and it took three days to upload mine!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on a 100MB connection and it took three days to upload mine!

What's your upload speed?
    Forum Member

Its usually about a third of the download speed.

Most of it is 320kbps and theres a lot of Pink Floyd which means long songs :D
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most of it is 320kbps and theres a lot of Pink Floyd which means long songs :D

I assume you are on virgin media, your upload is either 5mb or 10mb max, not 33mb. Also VM throtle upload during peak period.
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I assume you are on virgin media, your upload is either 5mb or 10mb max, not 33mb. Also VM throtle upload during peak period.

Good thing I don't upload much then!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good thing I don't upload much then!

Yeah mine is taking forever, 50GB of music on 1Mb upload speed! Even if it sustained max speed constantly that would be about 115 hours assuming nothing is matched.

I thought I only had 30GB but i forgot iTunes match upgraded the quality of the majority of my songs so now its 50GB lol
    Forum Member
    Yeah mine is taking forever, 50GB of music on 1Mb upload speed! Even if it sustained max speed constantly that would be about 115 hours assuming nothing is matched.

I thought I only had 30GB but i forgot iTunes match upgraded the quality of the majority of my songs so now its 50GB lol

Its worth it...just leave it running overnight. You only have to do it once after all.

Google Play doesnt match songs - merely uploads the versions you have at the same bitrate to listen to later. They are going to introduce a matching system soon but I prefer the non matching version as I've run into problems with iTunes Match in the past.
    Forum Member

Dont really give a toss to be honest. Why did you ask if you knew the answer? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont really give a toss to be honest. Why did you ask if you knew the answer? :rolleyes:

c4rv didn't ask, I did.
    Forum Member
    c4rv didn't ask, I did.

Ooops sorry!
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

people don't ask about upload speed but its going to be more of an issue in future with cloud based services, streaming from home servers, video chat, etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Left it running last night, got about 500 songs left to go so not so bad really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's nonsense, for starters tmobile has access to orange which has access to threes networks which in the west of Scotland has far better speeds than O2 or vodafone.

Orange is awful around here as well.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I uploaded another batch of around 800 tracks overnight, this time all with untouched MP3 tag data from Amazon. It seems to have matched many of them so it seems the tags are the most important factor in whether it matches or uploads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my upload has actually just finished :)

8.399 tracks, although i've had 63 failures - all m4a files. I'll just re-convert them to MP3 and try again I suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my upload has actually just finished :)

8.399 tracks, although i've had 63 failures - all m4a files. I'll just re-convert them to MP3 and try again I suppose.

Mine hasen't worked that well, it just seems to randomly miss tracks, not as good as iTunes Match that matched every track perfectly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can't imagine it'll match many of mine. a few thousand, at least, came from cd's I used to own and ripped and only entered basic ID3 tags, and also from vinyl I encoded as well. I tried to update the tags over time but I just ended up getting more and more music and it got away from me.

I'll see though - give it a few days and it might surprise me.