Help in picking a new Sat Nat please

DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've decided to upgrade by old TomTom, but notice the newer ones (I like TomTom so wanted to stick with them) seem to link to smartphones to get the traffic updates.

As I'm on PAYG rather than contract, I don't want to do this. My old TomTom has an RDS cable to pick up the updates, do any newer models still work like this or have they all gone the way of smartphones?

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Surely live traffic updates is something you can turn off?

But then again we are talking Tom Tom of whom I am not a fan (I prefer Garmin myself).

It depends on how you use your sat-nav. For simple A to B'ing then any old sat-nav will do including any of the popular apps on smartphones. As long as they store maps on the device. I think Google Waze is the only app which is deficient in not letting you do this?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DartGuru wrote: »
    I've decided to upgrade by old TomTom, but notice the newer ones (I like TomTom so wanted to stick with them) seem to link to smartphones to get the traffic updates.

As I'm on PAYG rather than contract, I don't want to do this. My old TomTom has an RDS cable to pick up the updates, do any newer models still work like this or have they all gone the way of smartphones?

It seems they all use mobile data for Traffic updates rather than the old RDS receiver.

The top of the range models have their own SIM while the middle range use your phone. The bottom of the range models don't appear to have traffic updates at all.
  • DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It seems they all use mobile data for Traffic updates rather than the old RDS receiver.

The top of the range models have their own SIM while the middle range use your phone. The bottom of the range models don't appear to have traffic updates at all.

Doing a bit of research, it's the n000 models that have their own sim and the n00 that rely on a smartphone.
    I feel an expensive purchase coming up :)
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at Garmin. They do a range with what they call Digital Traffic that does not use mobile data but a receiver built into the **** lighter charger module

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the-road/in-car-sat-navs/digital-traffic/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-atFILTER_FEATURE_DIGITALTRAFFIC_01-p1.html