The Witcher 2 (xbox). I am starting to like it

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK I only bought it yesterday but I did not like it at first. It is not Skyrim and it is not Dark Souls.

I could not get used to the fact that I could not wander off in any direction. You are kind of forced down clear paths. The combat, I was trying to play like Dark Souls and I was just dieing constantly (I have the difficulty on Dark). However I realised you have to fight like you do in Batman: Arkham Asylum.

So It has took me a good day to realise how the game works and now I like it. It is really an action/RPG hybrid. Some of the RPG elements are pretty hardcore. More so than Skyrim. However there is not the same freedom as Skyrim. The game is more like Dark Souls in that aspect. The Combat plays like a game like Darksiders.

I can understand a gamer who has no patience totally dismissing the game in the first few hours but I personaly enjoy 'working out' a game. The enhanced edition of The Witcher 2 (which I believe is standard) has a 'Quest Handbook' with it. I glanced through it but it is basicaly a game guide. So that has been thrown back in the box, never to be seen again.

I am really starting to like it. At first I was confused by what kind of game it is. It's a bit like Dark Souls, it's a bit like Darksiders, it's a bit like Skyrim, it's a bit like Arkham Asylum but it brings all those elements together and does them pretty well :)

Comments

• SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be getting this game at some point. My wife is a big fan of the first game, the books and the tv series so the game will be worth buying just knowing two people will play it to death.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I'll be getting this game at some point. My wife is a big fan of the first game, the books and the tv series so the game will be worth buying just knowing two people will play it to death.

Yeh your wife will like it. It's a very good game. I just had to get over my own insecurities. Another thing that bothered me at first was that I could not pick a class and customise my own character but then I realised it's a story about 1 guy.

What does it justice is the fact that it is a hybrid game like no other. Darksiders is an action adventure game, with great combat with some RPG elements tagged on. The WItcher 2 somehow takes those combat elements and throws them into a pretty deep RPG game with a good story.

RPG games tend to be about micro management and stats and The Witcher 2 does that better than Skyrim. Don't get me started on that. Good game but Skyrim stripped out all the micro management stuff from the previous games. RPG nerds love that! why take it out?

Yeh the wife wont be dissapointed
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love RPG's myself too, and you're making me want this more now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I love RPG's myself too, and you're making me want this more now.

Yeh I love RPGs. The WIcher 2 does this absolutely fantatsic thing, when you are in combat and you want to change a spell or throw something at the bad guys, press the shoulder button, it doesn't pause the game it slows everything down. So now you have to think quick what you want to use. Brilliant. That is the biggest thing that impressed me about the combat :)
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this game myself and I need to get back to it. Unfortunately I think it's one of those games where you need to stay on top of it or else you'll forget everything you've learned. It's not so accessible as other RPG's on consoles but once you do get a feel for things it's superb, combat in particular I think which may not quite be up to the standard of Dark Souls (which is barely an RPG in comparison) it's not far off and is leaps and bounds better than Skyrim.

I do think it's very hard in places, easy in others so perhaps a balancing issue, a lot of games have that though, RPG's especially since you level up your stats. I love the atmosphere and the dynamic dialogue tree's, they really give the game a sense of personal development. The storyline is interesting, it has some of the best voice acting this gen and it also looks damn gorgeous too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this game myself and I need to get back to it. Unfortunately I think it's one of those games where you need to stay on top of it or else you'll forget everything you've learned. It's not so accessible as other RPG's on consoles but once you do get a feel for things it's superb, combat in particular I think which may not quite be up to the standard of Dark Souls (which is barely an RPG in comparison) it's not far off and is leaps and bounds better than Skyrim.

I do think it's very hard in places, easy in others so perhaps a balancing issue, a lot of games have that though, RPG's especially since you level up your stats. I love the atmosphere and the dynamic dialogue tree's, they really give the game a sense of personal development. The storyline is interesting, it has some of the best voice acting this gen and it also looks damn gorgeous too.

Yeh 2D I agree you have to stay on top of it. It's a very 'fiddly' game. Combat in Dark Souls tends to be lots of blocking and picking your moments. I was trying to do that in WItcher 2 but a ton of health is knocked off when you block a blow. You have to be quick, with counters and riposte and string combos together.

It is pretty difficult but I prefer games when they are a challenge. I do have it on 'Dark' though. At that level you unlock better weapons and different levels.
    Forum Member
    J6ngo1977 wrote: »
    Yeh 2D I agree you have to stay on top of it. It's a very 'fiddly' game. Combat in Dark Souls tends to be lots of blocking and picking your moments. I was trying to do that in WItcher 2 but a ton of health is knocked off when you block a blow. You have to be quick, with counters and riposte and string combos together.

It is pretty difficult but I prefer games when they are a challenge. I do have it on 'Dark' though. At that level you unlock better weapons and different levels.

I also love a good challenge, the actual main combat sections of the game I felt were perfectly pitched in terms of of difficulty, I just hated a particular section which came out of nowhere and was incredibly frustrating. It could of just been my stats were leveled wrong or I was ill prepared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also love a good challenge, the actual main combat sections of the game I felt were perfectly pitched in terms of of difficulty, I just hated a particular section which came out of nowhere and was incredibly frustrating. It could of just been my stats were leveled wrong or I was ill prepared.

Yikes 'spoilers'. However it does seem like the type of game that will test you when you are getting comfortable with it. I think the combat is great just takes a bit of getting used to. I think Dark Souls fans take to WItcher 2 because it takes patience..

I don't think your stats where leveled wrong because we all level up to how we play. I never read forums where they tell you the 'best build for a necromancer' etc because that is rubbish. You build your stats to what you think is best for you. Don't be hard on yourself.
    Forum Member
    J6ngo1977 wrote: »
    Yikes 'spoilers'. However it does seem like the type of game that will test you when you are getting comfortable with it. I think the combat is great just takes a bit of getting used to. I think Dark Souls fans take to WItcher 2 because it takes patience..

I don't think your stats where leveled wrong because we all level up to how we play. I never read forums where they tell you the 'best build for a necromancer' etc because that is rubbish. You build your stats to what you think is best for you. Don't be hard on yourself.

I purposely wrote that with as little detail as possible to avoid spoilers. You probably play straight through the game and won't even know what I'm talking about. When I said wrong stats I mean't for that particular section because I do have a tenancy in games to max out stats in one area first rather than be well rounded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I purposely wrote that with as little detail as possible to avoid spoilers. You probably play straight through the game and won't even know what I'm talking about. When I said wrong stats I mean't for that particular section because I do have a tenancy in games to max out stats in one area first rather than be well rounded.

Yeh I do that myself. I always like to be a bit of a brawler or arrow chucker I never usually bother with magic that much
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Best way to describe the Witcher 2 is this -

"If Rockstar decided to make an RPG..."

There are elements of Skyrim, Eternal Darkness, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption and God of War about it; it a truly epic gamer - and one not afraid to make you make choices of REAL consequence; on your first playthrough, you have to make a choice of allegiance, which means half of the game plays out completely differently to you.

Well written, well realised characters, excellent twists, brilliant weapons and customisation, but none of the bogging down of everything true of Oblivion et all. One of the games of the generation.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was **** to be honest.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    I thought it was **** to be honest.

I'm thinking this too:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, my opinion has changed:o
    I'm totally absorbed into the story now after just completing chapter 1. The graphics and controls are still pretty ropey but the characters and story really make up for it.
  • GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the Enhanced Edition for PC as I found it for £10 last year and had heard good things about it...& it looked pretty.
    I tried and tried to like it, but I cannot get used to the 3rd-person perspective with the free-moving camera as it makes me feel ill with it swinging around and getting stuck in the scenery. If I could have used a fixed camera mode then I might have struggled on, but frankly I really prefer 1st-person perspective.
    So the game is unloved & unwanted :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just completed it....way earlier than I expected so a complete anti-climax:(
    It was building nicely and then BOOM...you go to Loc Muinne and game over:o
    What was the point of having the game on two discs? There is barely an hour's worth of gameplay on disc 2. It is very misleading. I found for a game with such convoluted storylines, it wraps everything up too suddenly. It is as if the game developers suddenly got bored and went "ah screw this, lets wrap up the story now and be done with it"
    Very disappointing as it moved from a 4 to an 8 after chapter one but after completing it I would rate it a 7 out of 10