Are the Beatles dying in order of decreasing talent

13»

Comments

• meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,105
    Forum Member
    However bad Macca was he never made an album as wretched as Sometime In New York City arguably the worst album ever made by a major artist.

I like moments on the album, but agree it is completely swamped by the political agenda. Most of the tracks are more suitable for performing at live shows in aid of the causes, but released as an album it sounds like a chaotic mess. Even John Lennon regretted this album.

However some of the tracks are salvageable. If I got my hands on editing it I'd keep:
    1. Woman is the * of the World (an important song in John's discography and one of the first ever feminist songs, certainly the first written by a man I think)
    4. Born in a Prison (a soothing number by Yoko)
    5. New York City (an old school style rocker, typical John)
    8. John Sinclair (lose the political meaning and the tune is catchy as hell)
    9. Angela (another soothing but raw track, having a different theme could have made it more appealing)
    10. We're All Water (a zany hyper track from Yoko, if you like her music you'll appreciate it, if not then you probably won't)

I remember the first time I played the album, after it finished my friend thought it was the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack I had been listening to :D
    Which I love too by the way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I like moments on the album, but agree it is completely swamped by the political agenda. Most of the tracks are more suitable for performing at live shows in aid of the causes, but released as an album it sounds like a chaotic mess. Even John Lennon regretted this album.

However some of the tracks are salvageable. If I got my hands on editing it I'd keep:
    1. Woman is the * of the World (an important song in John's discography and one of the first ever feminist songs, certainly the first written by a man I think)
    4. Born in a Prison (a soothing number by Yoko)
    5. New York City (an old school style rocker, typical John)
    8. John Sinclair (lose the political meaning and the tune is catchy as hell)
    9. Angela (another soothing but raw track, having a different theme could have made it more appealing)
    10. We're All Water (a zany hyper track from Yoko, if you like her music you'll appreciate it, if not then you probably won't)

I remember the first time I played the album, after it finished my friend thought it was the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack I had been listening to :D
    Which I love too by the way.

:D:D:D

John was a fool not to release Out the Blue from Mind Games as a single... I think it's his most Beatle-worthy song of the 70s
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    My grandfather always said the only who could sing in The Beatles was John Lennon :) After watching some of live appearances then I'd agree.

But at least we'll the frog song :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    My grandfather always said the only who could sing in The Beatles was John Lennon :) After watching some of live appearances then I'd agree.

You mentioned the frog song... your post is rendered invalid :p

If this is bad singing, I wish I could sing as badly as him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm2YyVZBL8U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJrXqrLtMw
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is no way in hell you can say this guy can't sing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWbPkQFTaqg

I mean just listen 1:09 minutes in! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    You mentioned the frog song... your post is rendered invalid :p

If this is bad singing, I wish I could sing as badly as him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm2YyVZBL8U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJrXqrLtMw

Totally agree. His voice in the 70's was off the hook. Amazing!

Frog Chorus quotes immediately make a post invalid, made me :)
  • RockyRaccoon68RockyRaccoon68 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    His voice in the late 60's and 70's was incredible. Even up until 5 or 6 years ago he was great!

Coming Up Live 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRbFpveuLQM

Helter Skelter Glastonbury 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRjXFuRdbLk

Letting Go Live 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZYw5PiO9Dc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've made a 1 CD compilation of my favourite solo Beatles songs from 1970-1973 that I think are worthy to stand up towards The Beatles masterworks. Think of it as a companion disk to the Beatles Red and Blue compilations.

The Beatles: 1970-1973 (The Green Album)
    18 songs, 1:18:26 (Song ratio: Paul: 6, John: 5, George: 5, Ringo: 2)

Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    What Is Life
    Band On The Run
    My Sweet Lord
    Mind Games
    Live And Let Die
    Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)
    Uncle Albert, Admiral Halsey
    Photograph
    Jealous Guy
    The Back Seat Of My Car
    All Things Must Pass
    Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five
    Imagine
    It Don't Come Easy
    Isn't It A Pity
    Mother

This is an Apple/EMI release coming 2013! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    as usuall there is so much ignorance with regards mccartney.

the usuall 'frog chorus' or 'mull of kyntre' lines get banded about with putting either song into perspective.
    the 'frog chorus' was easily one of the best childrens song and video of its time[with sales to back that up]
    whilst 'mull of kyntre' remains to this day the best selling single ever on the UK top 40 charts [if we exclude charity songs]
    not bad for a modern day scotish traditional song.infact i cant think of any better traditional songs written in the last 50 years or so!.
    its also worth pointing out that only in recent years has mccartneys live voice become thin and age-ing...the man is 70 years olds for god's sake.....john lennons live voice was shot whilst he was still a youngish man,have you heard any of his dreadful 1970s stage appearance?...compare that to mccartney from the same period and there is no comparisson..mccartney had arguably the best and most versitile voice in rock/pop history which peaked between 1965-1975...infact anyone who cares to dissagree with that statement has probably never heard albums like both of which find mccartney voice in a place that few artist ever get to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    SamMcK wrote: »
    I've made a 1 CD compilation of my favourite solo Beatles songs from 1970-1973 that I think are worthy to stand up towards The Beatles masterworks. Think of it as a companion disk to the Beatles Red and Blue compilations.

The Beatles: 1970-1973 (The Green Album)
    18 songs, 1:18:26 (Song ratio: Paul: 6, John: 5, George: 5, Ringo: 2)

Maybe I'm Amazed
    What Is Life
    Band On The Run
    My Sweet Lord
    Mind Games
    Live And Let Die
    Photograph
    Jealous Guy
    The Back Seat Of My Car
    All Things Must Pass
    Imagine
    It Don't Come Easy
    Isn't It A Pity
    Mother

This is an Apple/EMI release coming 2013! ;)

its a good album with one obvious flaw...you simply HAVE to end with 'nineteen hundred and eighty five'....im not sure i would have 'imagine' in there either...to keep up your demigraph i will replace it with 'oh my love'.

Maybe I'm Amazed
    What Is Life
    Band On The Run
    My Sweet Lord
    Mind Games
    Live And Let Die
    Photograph
    Jealous Guy
    The Back Seat Of My Car
    All Things Must Pass
    Oh my love
    It Don't Come Easy
    Isn't It A Pity
    Mother
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    rumandlime wrote: »
    not bad for a modern day scotish traditional song.infact i cant think of any better traditional songs written in the last 50 years or so!
    Obviously not a Scottish sports fan then for whom Flower of Scotland is the song that comes readliy to their lips.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rumandlime wrote: »
    its a good album with one obvious flaw...you simply HAVE to end with 'nineteen hundred and eighty five'....im not sure i would have 'imagine' in there either...to keep up your demigraph i will replace it with 'oh my love'.

Maybe I'm Amazed
    What Is Life
    Band On The Run
    My Sweet Lord
    Mind Games
    Live And Let Die
    Photograph
    Jealous Guy
    The Back Seat Of My Car
    All Things Must Pass
    Oh my love
    It Don't Come Easy
    Isn't It A Pity
    Mother

Looks even better! :) The problem I find is making a compilation from the following years after, I mean all of the Beatles still made many, many good songs after 1973 but their style changed so much as solo artists and there were long periods where the music just was not up to their standards. (I'm Looking at you Ringo!) I think Paul's albums such as Tug Of War, Flaming Pie and Chaos and Creation are perhaps the closest to the Beatles sound after the first half of the 70's as well as some John songs like Watching The Wheels and Woman.

Personally I sort of wish this was released as a "Threetles" song in the mid-90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkiV3WzWW50

-Beautiful Night
    (It's already got George Martin producing and Ringo on drums/vocals so all you would need is George doing some slide guitar and maybe sing in harmony with Paul.)