Options

Anyone else having this problem with their cat?

JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
Forum Member
✭✭
I keep telling her that the clocks have gone back, but she flatly refuses to believe me.

I now get paw swipes (and bites if I'm slow to respond) an hour earlier in the morning while I'm still trying to sleep.

She always wins in the end, though. I can only take so much pain.

Comments

• Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lock her out .I won't pander to mine .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this problem with my dog, he wants to go out for a walk an hour 'earlier' now.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine get told a firm "NO!" (in a half asleep but still loud voice) until it is an acceptable time for me to get up and let them out.

I live in a small flat so I am lucky that the cat flap isn't far. I've got very good at opening the cat flap half asleep, then going back to bed for an hour until I need to get up.

Weekends, I get up, open the cat flap, feed them as well, and then I get a bit more of a lie in.

Slaves aren't we? :D
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :Not in the mornings, but I do get ordered to bed an hour earlier.

I am her hot water bottle. :D
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs have been a bit confuzzled they want breakfast and their walk early, mad that I am I have relented and am getting up early for them. Actually working well as I am having time to do a few other things too in the mornings now !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Dogs have been a bit confuzzled they want breakfast and their walk early, mad that I am I have relented and am getting up early for them. Actually working well as I am having time to do a few other things too in the mornings now !

So ... actually their demands have done you a favour!? :)

I'm just as mad with my cat.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roooty wrote: »
    So ... actually their demands have done you a favour!? :)

I'm just as mad with my cat.

Indeed it's like they knew what I needed better than I did ;)
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Mine get told a firm "NO!" (in a half asleep but still loud voice) until it is an acceptable time for me to get up and let them out.

I live in a small flat so I am lucky that the cat flap isn't far. I've got very good at opening the cat flap half asleep, then going back to bed for an hour until I need to get up.

Weekends, I get up, open the cat flap, feed them as well, and then I get a bit more of a lie in.

Slaves aren't we? :D

Ok totally confused now. Isn't the point of having a cat flap to let themselves in/out? What do you need to open it?:confused::)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Ok totally confused now. Isn't the point of having a cat flap to let themselves in/out? What do you need to open it?:confused::)

You keep the cat flap locked at night so they don't go out
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    You keep the cat flap locked at night so they don't go out

Oh well I guess some (owners) must? I certainly don't.

I fitted a catflap when I first moved in to save worry about them getting shut out all night, as they invariably want to go out last thing.

Mine tend to go out just after "lights out" and then they come in about half an hour later.

They then go out again at "first light" (without disturbing me).
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know the saying, cats have slaves, it really is true.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »

I lock them in at night and then let them out in the morning.

I don't want them out at night on their own, i've done that since day one, and they happily stay in all night sleeping, they go out all day and can come and go as they please during the day.

Also I live in a tiny flat, and my bedroom is right next to the door that has the cat flap in, so if they were coming and going all night when I was trying to sleep, it'd keep waking me up.

:)
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I've always kept my cat flap open 24/7 but I rarely worry (only in the Summer when little Lucy sometimes goes awol) because my cats choose to spend the nights indoors, 2 of them (and sometimes all 3) on my bed. It suits me to keep the cat flap open so that I don't have to get up early on a day off or I can go to bed early when I want to without upsetting the cats' routines.

This time of year, from now until Spring, my cats spend about 99% of their time indoors and one of them has even reverted to using an indoor litter tray again. The other 2 go out to toilet, even when there's snow, so I always like them to be able to get outside when they want to.

The clock change has little impact on me or my cats - I don't have a regular getting up time anyway because I've always worked shifts, up at 6am for my long working days and up between 8am- 10am on my days off.