Options

Can you apply for a council house if you have a mortgage?

Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My marriage has broken down beyond all repair. My wife moved out but is struggling to pay the render so wants to move back to the family home, So I have to move out.

Can I apply for a council home, I won't be able to afford a private rental property.

I'm effectively homeless next month. I don't know what to do. We share custody of our children so I need a home for me and my boys.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I know I don't have to leave, but it's easier if I did, we can't live together for sure,

Comments

• Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why you have to move out if she already decided to leave.

That said, I would go along to your local Council and ask in Housing Advice (or check on their website for a telephone number). They will have the knowledge and experience to guide you.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I don't understand why you have to move out if she already decided to leave.

Thnat said, I would go along to your local Council and ask in Housing Advice (or check on their website for a telephone number). They will have the knowledge and experience to guide you.

She moved out earlier this year into private rent, she can't afford it so has to move out, so as this is her home..
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    She moved out earlier this year into private rent, she can't afford it so has to move out, so as this is her home..
    I still don't get it (sorry!) - are both your name's on the mortgage? Why can't she apply for a council house? :)
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. I would still go to the Housing Advice centre at the Council tomorrow (or Monday), but bear in mind that they will likely quiz you on this (not that you really have to explain yourself on a forum).
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by two threads you started recently

My ex is friends with my neighbour who told a lie about me and my children

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2019006&highlight=

Wife has moved out of our jointly owned home, can I ask for the key back?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2011816&highlight=

things do not appear to be on a very good footing and so the very last thing you should do is move out of the house.

There was also a post a while back about someone asking for advice on their divorce "settlement" where they were basically being totally ripped off., I thought that was you but as I cannot find it I guess not. Still the moral of that particular thread is trust no one in a divorce situation.

To go back to your wife and kids. When you go to seek advice from someone say the CAB you will need to make it clear what shared custody means in your case ie is it an informal arrangement or a legal judgement. Also in respect of the mortgage you would have to say whose names are on the deeds \ mortgage and whether you are divorced or just separate, or indeed never actually married.

OK that is just a list of questions but it should help explain why no one can tell you if you would get a council or housing association property (and in any event your wife would stand a better chance than you as she is the mother. Yes that may be sexist but that is the reality of the situation in many instances)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    l am sorry that things have not worked out for you. This is a difficult situation so l'd suggest getting some advice from Shelter or their regional equivalent about your potential options: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might be able to apply to go on the waiting list but you will definitely not be given a priority for housing. Not because you have a mortgage, but because the housing will determine that by leaving your current home you have intentionally made yourself homeless.

This is exactly what happened to my brother-in-law. He had no choice but to move back in with my step-sister.
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your wife would have no problems getting a council house. You as a single man would have no chance. Let your wife apply for the council house and you stay where you are.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish you the best op. Been there , wore the t shirt...

It will get better
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I were you I wouldn't dare move out of that house. I can't understand why you are to be honest. She moved out. She should apply for the council house.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My marriage has broken down beyond all repair. My wife moved out but is struggling to pay the render so wants to move back to the family home, So I have to move out.

Can I apply for a council home, I won't be able to afford a private rental property.

I'm effectively homeless next month. I don't know what to do. We share custody of our children so I need a home for me and my boys.

I know I don't have to leave, but it's easier if I did, we can't live together for sure,

Did she take the children with her when she moved out, or leave them with you ?
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Councils use the "you have made yourself deliberately homeless" clause a lot these days IMO this would be one of them. It's hard here to even get on the housing waiting list let alone get a property.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do not move out of the house.

Once you do, as others have said, the council will say you made yourself deliberately homeless. You will then have to go into privately rented accommodation.

Stay where you are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely whoever has the children living with them full time should be the one to live in the house. That is the usual arrangement when couples with children separate, isn't it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    The OP states that they have shared custody.

But doesn't that mean that the children live principally with one parent ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    It depends how they have split it up. If it's 50/50 then no.

Ah ok. Well then, all depends on what those arrangements are, I suppose.

The children are the primary concern.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whether you can get a council house or not, who's going to pay the mortgage?

You can't just walk out of a mortgage; you usually have to persuade someone to buy the house off you, or let it to someone else. In either case, if you make a profit on the proceeds, you might be considered too well off for a council house.
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you just hand the house over and move out then you will get nothing! The council will say you made yourself homeless and as a result not entitled to any help.
  • Options
    Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can apply but you won't get one! There's a hell of a long waiting list and criteria and circumstances for obtaining one are getting harder every year.

So your wife can't cope with paying the rent. Too bad. She and millions of others are in the same boat. Life is tough.

Like others have said, if you leave the house voluntarily then the council will simply say that you intentionally made yourself homeless and that is 100% fact.

Nope, if you leave then it's going to have to be private renting and giving your hard earned money to the greedy robbing landlords as well as all those fees to the property letting agents when they renew your tenancy agreement every six to twelve months so good luck with that.

Maybe you could both talk about selling the property and splitting the proceeds to use as deposits and go your separate ways.
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is your ex claiming any housing benefits? If she isn't then that should be the first step really.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could probably get emergency housing from your council if you have custody of your children.

If you are talking as a single person IE you have not got the children and would be very low priority.

Either way chances are the council might expect you to privately rent with hosing benefit picking up some of the tab.

In order to apply for council housing your council will need quite a few documents.

Depending on the area of the country you live in council housing is a very scarce resource. Shared custody does not equal custody in the UK and whoever has them the most will usually qualify for a social tenancy, i had this problem and my ex had residence she got a three bed house i got a one bed flat.

I would contact your local authorities housing dept pronto .

But whilst you still own a home i doubt they will be too keen to get involved.