Child off sick

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know about having to produce a certificate from GP for their child being off sick?

My son had a couple of weeks off before half term and I constantly kept in touch with the school. I also phoned my GP. At my surgery the GP calls you back and if they think you don't need to go to the surgery they diagnose on phone. I told the GP that the school are strict about attendance and she said not to worry just say I spoke to her. Today I got a letter (computer generated) from my sons head of house threatening me with legal action because I had not produced medical evidence and he was reporting me to EWO.
I did have something happen like this when he was in primary school and I did question my surgery about producing certificates for children and they said it was stupid and said they didnt do it. That was a couple of years ago though.
Anyone had similar experience.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I understand that we need to ensure children are getting an education but this is a bit OTT. Your GP may be able to write a letter to confirm that your son was off, I had this done many years ago as I missed an assessment that was part of my highers, thankfully my doctor was understanding and was happy to scibble something out for me but I keep seeing signs up for "private charges" these days and a letter may fall under that.

I'd maybe try the Head as well and see if they are willing to be a tad more lenient than the letter suggests.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What kind of legal action?
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cj1234 wrote: »
    Does anyone know about having to produce a certificate from GP for their child being off sick?

My son had a couple of weeks off before half term and I constantly kept in touch with the school. I also phoned my GP. At my surgery the GP calls you back and if they think you don't need to go to the surgery they diagnose on phone. I told the GP that the school are strict about attendance and she said not to worry just say I spoke to her. Today I got a letter (computer generated) from my sons head of house threatening me with legal action because I had not produced medical evidence and he was reporting me to EWO.
    I did have something happen like this when he was in primary school and I did question my surgery about producing certificates for children and they said it was stupid and said they didnt do it. That was a couple of years ago though.
    Anyone had similar experience.

Two weeks is a long time for an child to be off school "sick"...without having had some kind of major accident/illness or having some long term previously diagnosed condition.

Was he actually seen by a doctor or other qualified medical practitioner at all? Diagnosed with a specific illness or sent for any investigative procedure or prescribed a course of treatment or advised by a medical professional NOT to attend school?

And given it's apparently happened before...and that would be in your child's school record why would you be in the least surprised they are following it up...the only person I ever knew who was off school for two weeks because of illness was a friend rushed to hospital with a burst appendix needed emergency surgery and powerful antibiotics to save her life!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they can take you to court and fine you. Like they are doing when parents take their children away on the last week of term. But I am a very law abiding person so this kind of thing just frightens me and my son is a very good pupil - just had some bad luck with a very bad chesty cough which the GP said was a virus and nothing could be done - just sit it out.
    What annoyed me was the letter wasn't even signed and nobody had the courtesy to speak to me first to discuss the situation.
    I have written a letter to the school and I popped it in by hand this morning.
    They also get funny when the attendance drops below 95% each term, they send you letters saying that if you continue to drop below this percent your child can fail in the future at school! I think they are under strict orders from the government to meet targets and one of them is attendance.
    But I think I will pop into my surgery to discuss this with them anyway.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they can take you to court and fine you. Like they are doing when parents take their children away on the last week of term. But I am a very law abiding person so this kind of thing just frightens me and my son is a very good pupil - just had some bad luck with a very bad chesty cough which the GP said was a virus and nothing could be done - just sit it out.
    What annoyed me was the letter wasn't even signed and nobody had the courtesy to speak to me first to discuss the situation.
    I have written a letter to the school and I popped it in by hand this morning.
    They also get funny when the attendance drops below 95% each term, they send you letters saying that if you continue to drop below this percent your child can fail in the future at school! I think they are under strict orders from the government to meet targets and one of them is attendance.
    But I think I will pop into my surgery to discuss this with them anyway.

If the doctor said "sit it out" did they specify that meant on the sofa in front of the telly or would have a chair at school done just as well?
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boobyloo wrote: »
    I understand that we need to ensure children are getting an education but this is a bit OTT. Your GP may be able to write a letter to confirm that your son was off, I had this done many years ago as I missed an assessment that was part of my highers, thankfully my doctor was understanding and was happy to scibble something out for me but I keep seeing signs up for "private charges" these days and a letter may fall under that.

I'd maybe try the Head as well and see if they are willing to be a tad more lenient than the letter suggests.

Well if the school wants such a letter for it's records (basically to cover it's arse for an OFSTED inspection) then I'm sure it would be willing to pay any such fee the doctor may charge.

Alternatively the OP could give the school a letter of authority to allow it to speak to the doctors surgery and get the information it wants.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

£37.50 for a letter stating anyone is unfit, needing time off.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble starts when schools want letters etc for times when your child has an illness that is self limiting like flu, colds, diarrhoea and sickness, chicken pox etc and you've not taken the child to the doctor because there's really no need to. Obviously a doctor cannot give a letter for an illness they have no record of.

The knock on effect of this is that it forces parents to make unnecessary appointments for their children thus making it even harder for people that really need appointments to get them without a wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    The trouble starts when schools want letters etc for times when your child has an illness that is self limiting like flu, colds, diarrhoea and sickness, chicken pox etc and you've not taken the child to the doctor because there's really no need to. Obviously a doctor cannot give a letter for an illness they have no record of.

The knock on effect of this is that it forces parents to make unnecessary appointments for their children thus making it even harder for people that really need appointments to get them without a wait.

Well I can't see how they can make this a requirement for illnesses of less than 7 days, as you would be able to self-certify for that period if you are in employment. It would be a ridiculous state of affairs where the requirement for pupils is more onerous than that for school staff and teachers.

BTW having been a victim of 'real flu' as opposed to a heavy cold, I wouldn't put the flu into the same category as a cold, diarrhoea or a sickness bug. When I had the flu I was off work for close to 3 weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Well I can't see how they can make this a requirement for illnesses of less than 7 days, as you would be able to self-certify for that period if you are in employment. It would be a ridiculous state of affairs where the requirement for pupils is more onerous than that for school staff and teachers.

BTW having been a victim of 'real flu' as opposed to a heavy cold, I wouldn't put the flu into the same category as a cold, diarrhoea or a sickness bug. When I had the flu I was off work for close to 3 weeks.

I only meant that for most people flu doesnt require a doctors visit. For most otherwise healthy people its just fluids paracetamol and bed rest till it goes.

Some schools do wants parents to prove any incidence of sickness with either a letter, appointment card or a copy of any prescription given. In the first 2 cases it pushes parents into booking appointments they may not really need.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the doctor said "sit it out" did they specify that meant on the sofa in front of the telly or would have a chair at school done just as well?

If a child is ill, the school generally don't want them in at all, they are usually very cautious and will send children home for the slightest thing. Why would you send a child to school ill? far too many people these days go into work if they are ill when really they shouldn't and spread things around. There is nothing to be ashamed about if you are ill.

My child was off school for two weeks last year through illness, she got a virus that was going around, then came down with chicken pox straight after which was also doing the rounds. Didn't get a letter from the school though, as for the virus Dr said it could last up to 5 - 7 days & they don't want you coming in to the practice if you have chicken pox.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

most of those would not keep a child off school for two weeks, if they did I would expect said child to have seen a GP, in this instance having two weeks off for a cough sounds extreme and I can understand the school questioning it.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    The school probably think you have been on holiday and used illness as an excuse to avoid getting in trouble for doing so during term time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the advice and can I just say , we were not on holiday, my son wasn't sitting in front of the TV, it was not a whole two weeks, it was not just a cough, I did explain the symptoms and he was coughing all through the night and when it happened before it was at his primary school and kept sending him back and the school did phone me on a couple of occasions saying I had to come and get him because he had been sick. It was in the year when there was a particularly bad flu bug.

So to the person who decided he was sitting in front of the TV perfectly well, this did not happen and a very bad cough and cold can go up to two weeks oh what the hell why should I have to explain, I just wanted to know if someone else had experienced getting this kind of letter, I did not expect judgement about my decision to keep my child off.
  • station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The School system has got ridiculous, also treating the parents like the naughty school children
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So to the person who decided he was sitting in front of the TV perfectly well, this did not happen and a very bad cough and cold can go up to two weeks oh what the hell why should I have to explain, I just wanted to know if someone else had experienced getting this kind of letter, I did not expect judgement about my decision to keep my child off.

You've been on DS for 10 years and you are surprised that people are judgemental:confused:
  • yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work at a school and if a child was off sick for a long period of time then we would like to see something from the doctors. Obviously a few days doesn't need proof, just a phone call. For two or more weeks off, schools prefer to have a bit of proof such as prescription, doctor printed label on medicines or even the card with the day and time of the appointment on. You say you rang the GP and he had a virus, was he told to take any medication or anything such as ibuprofen? Have you got receipts to show the medication brought? Have you rung the head of house and explained the situation. Sometimes a meeting is all you need.

There is alot of colds and virus going around at the moment, this is with children and adults. Kids do get sick all the time, that's something we cant move around.

Schools are now under fire for having attendance issues, that is why schools do like something to pop into the child's file. You say you have written a note, to alot of schools that should be enough if you state the reason why, what the GP said, any medication taken and also the fact that you rang regualry to say that your child is still unwell.

Good luck :)
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Do schools need to prove attendances to qualify for full funding? ie. are they paid only for the pupils that turn up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    most of those would not keep a child off school for two weeks, if they did I would expect said child to have seen a GP, in this instance having two weeks off for a cough sounds extreme and I can understand the school questioning it.

Maybe nor two weeks, though flu could well do without a Go being needed, but quite often parents are asked to prove sickness after a day or two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe nor two weeks, though flu could well do without a Go being needed, but quite often parents are asked to prove sickness after a day or two.

I wonder if the teachers are as well?
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think schools have just gone over the top and are being ridiculous over time off for illness and for holidays now. I am glad that I no longer have children at school.

As to some people saying that two weeks is a long time to be off school, I don't think that is true at all. A child could easily be off for two weeks if they had such a thing as bronchitis, tonsilitis, an operation, chickenpox, flu and many more things.

If I was the op, I would take my child out of that domineering school and find another one for your son. I would think that doctors must get tired of having to write certificates for children who are ill.

Don't let the people on here upset you, they are being judgemental without knowing the full circumstances.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

What a strange question. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think schools have just gone over the top and are being ridiculous over time off for illness and for holidays now. I am glad that I no longer have children at school.

As to some people saying that two weeks is a long time to be off school, I don't think that is true at all. A child could easily be off for two weeks if they had such a thing as bronchitis, tonsilitis, an operation, chickenpox, flu and many more things.

If I was the op, I would take my child out of that domineering school and find another one for your son. I would think that doctors must get tired of having to write certificates for children who are ill.

Don't let the people on here upset you, they are being judgemental without knowing the full circumstances.
    I really agree with your post to a certain extent, but the problems set in when the child misses so many lessons.
    The curriculum moves so fast and when a child misses a couple of weeks the teacher and the pupil find it so hard to catch up with each other.
    When my children were ill and absent from school I felt comfortable going into the school and requesting work sheets and asking for help.
    Teachers are run of their feet now, I don't think they they have much say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    I know here (Northern Ireland) the EWO doesn't generally get involved unless the attendance falls below 85%. My son has just missed 13 days as he had an accident and partially severed a tendon in his left foot, he was in a lot of pain and had stitches in the sole of his foot and couldn't bare any weight on it at all. Doctors advice was to keep off it until the stitches came out, of course as soon as they were removed my son put his foot down to walk and opened the wound resulting in an extra few days off school. The school haven't asked for anything beyond a hand written note from myself and I went ahead and contacted the EWO who was fine. I would provide the school with a Doctors note OP but don't worry about the legal action threat, I imagine it's probably only in the letter to ensure parents get a Doctors note so the school is covered.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The doctor never saw the child so has no idea if they were off sick or sitting on a beach in Spain. So I doubt if he will write a letter confirming something that he has no proof of.