Options

Porridge

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
Forum Member
DO you have it ?

someone in work this morning had it microwaved with milk..it smelt nice, and looked ok..so i got some today and some honey :D I will have some for breakfast in morning with a whirl of honey in it..Healthy meal for breakkie :D-- its the sachets in the box for £1.99 ( Tesco)

do you like it..I used to have it when i was younger with jam in it :D i thought i would give it another go

Comments

• Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I have it every now and then, but none of that pre portioned sachets though.
    I use x1 espresso cup of oats, x1 espresso cup of milk, x1 espresso cup of water into a bowl, microwave full power for 2 mins, take out and stir, microwave again for 30 secs and it comes out perfect.
    Then I add a flavouring of whatever takes my fancy ie: sugar, honey, syrup, nutella, raisins or cinnamon.
  • Options
    FrankieThePandaFrankieThePanda Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have it with 250g of fat free greek yogurt to 38g of oats, microwaved for 3.40 mins with a sprinkle of cinnamon, goes like a sweet flapjack and gives me a nice 24g protein hit.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have it but I just get the bags of oats.......dirt cheap, wholefood, nothing added......and I do it in the microwave in a big bowl. About 3 minutes, leave for a minute then give it another couple of minutes

sometimes make it with milk, sometimes with water.......usually add sugar and honey, sometimes sprinkle with ginger or cinnamon
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah, but knock off the sugar/honey.
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    DO you have it ?

someone in work this morning had it microwaved with milk..it smelt nice, and looked ok..so i got some today and some honey :D I will have some for breakfast in morning with a whirl of honey in it..Healthy meal for breakkie :D-- its the sachets in the box for £1.99 ( Tesco)

do you like it..I used to have it when i was younger with jam in it :D i thought i would give it another go

Yes but I don't buy the prepared stuff..I use jumbo oats.. About 50g mixed with water and microwaved for 3 minutes... I also add 2 tablespoons of millet flakes ( i buy mine online)
    I add milk at the end and either maple syrup or granulated sweetener and chopped banana and natural yogurt..yum!!:D
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the best breakfast at this time of year, warms you up and fills you up and is very healthy. Massive bag of porridge oats costs nearly nowt, too.
    I just steep the oats in water overnight and then cook it on the gas in the morning, add a splash of cold milk and then scoff.
    Great stuff.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I have it a lot, with skimmed milk and chopped banana and a squeeze of honey.

I always, always undercook it though, I can't stand it all congealed and dry.
  • Options
    gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I had some this morning made with yogurt and a dash of cinnamon and honey. Yummy.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have porridge every morning.
    I use 6 dessert spoonfuls in a bowl with a glass of milk then microwave for 2 minutes.

Lovely :D
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have porridge during the colder months on work-days.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to eat Ready Brek, but a year ago I tried the cheaper Quaker Oats and decided I couldn't tell the difference. Now I am on Flahaven's, which is cheaper still, and better. I normally use milk but can eat it made with water. I tried it with Maple syrup, and then with honey, but I don't think they taste any better than plain sugar. I prefer sugar because it's more controllable, because it doesn't sink in. I feel I know where I am with sugar; I know how much I am using.
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    I usually heat it for 1 minute, sometimes 90 seconds. I just need it to be warm, not too hot to eat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I usually have weetabix ( soya milk warmed up, and maybe a tiny bit sugar)..It is smooth consistency-- i used to eating that every morning

so this morning i tried porridge , did what it said on packet..looked ok, put bit og honey in after

then went to eat it and it was warm lumpy stuff, like eating warm lumpy sick :o..is it meant to be like that ? Did i do it right..maybe its cos im so used to weetabix being smooth..It was ok i guess but it just put me off thinking of lumpy warm sick :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those processed 'porridge-like' products, eg Ready Brek, are truly horrific

horrible texture and taste.......:o
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I'm Scottish so prefer mine the traditional way with salt. I do like it with a chopped banana though.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't even consider wasting my money on sachets for what is about as basic a product as you can get. I buy the 1 kg bags of Morrisson's own brand for £1.15, although I'm sure you could buy it even cheaper and not tell the difference. I never measure the quantity, but make sure it's in a high sided bowl and add slightly more milk than seems necessary at first glance. Two minutes in a microwave or perhaps just a little bit longer and it's ready. I like to add a dash of honey - wouldn't even consider eating it if it had salt in it.
  • Options
    Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make mine with water, you need to add a little SALT, before cooking. I sprinkle a little Splenda or similar ,and add milk, when in dish
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All my life I'd had porridge made with milk

But a few months ago I tried giving up dairy for a couple of months and tried porridge made with water

I was really surprised tha it wasn't much different to when it was made with milk

I was expecting to see boiled water with oats floating in it.........:o.........but it just turned white and porridgy like with milk........:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    is yours lumpy ? it put me off it lol
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is lumpy if I don't put enough milk in it.
    Make sure you stir it up well until it's smooth and milky then stick it in the microwave.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Quaker oats heaps of fruit sachets which are nice and filling. My favourite is ready brek with loads of sugar, not good for the waistline though!
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    I make my porridge in microwave. I buy a large Tesco economy packet - oats is oats:) , mix with water and a little salt.

Once cooked I add a mashed banana, or stewed apple if I have some around. If I need a sugar hit, I add golden syrup, which is lovely, and finally I add a dash of Elmlea.

Best breakfast ever! Not lumpy at all. You have to add a lot of liquid, and cook - leave to cool, then cook again for best results, as this enables the liquid to be totally absorbed by the oats.

Very cheap, very tasty and very good for you.
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    I have it a lot, with skimmed milk and chopped banana and a squeeze of honey.

i put enough water in to cover it, maybe a bit more and then top up half way through, it's never dry that way

i never buy the processed porridge products either, simple jumbo oats are best :D
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I eat it every morning. I use Tesco smartprice 1kg packs which cost 75p, which I like because they're easy to open.
    I make it in a pan with water and a little milk, I like it thick, not watery.
    I don't like sachets which you have to cook in the microwave.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like mine with nuts, maple syrup a pinch of salt, dash of nutmeg and a bit of cream. I don't use the sachets either - they're expensive and don't taste as good and what's easier to make than porridge? Funny thing though, everyone says how it keeps you feeling full for longer and I don't find that at all. A couple of hours after eating it I'm starving!
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I like mine with nuts, maple syrup a pinch of salt, dash of nutmeg and a bit of cream. I don't use the sachets either - they're expensive and don't taste as good and what's easier to make than porridge? Funny thing though, everyone says how it keeps you feeling full for longer and I don't find that at all. A couple of hours after eating it I'm starving!

I'm the same!