Options

Best Video Game Soundtracks?

Comments

• Options
    Dan_ProcterDan_Procter Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Most of the instrumental music from the Bioshock series is pretty epic!

Especially this scene.

http://youtu.be/6pVTBbkm4VU
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mass effect for me - the song on the menu from the first game really defined the series for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1pPgpcAVw

They used the music again in ME3 towards the end :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Xenon 2 on Amiga!
  • Options
    ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Streets of Rage
    Enough said
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mass Effect

Halo

RDR
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like the music in the early Tomb raider games (pre PS3) and was disappointed that they didn't use it in the movies.

I also like 'The Last of Us'. The music really added to what was already an epic game.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Mass effect for me - the song on the menu from the first game really defined the series for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1pPgpcAVw

They used the music again in ME3 towards the end :)

Vigil is such a great theme.

Don't know if you played the Citadel DLC, but there's a lovely touch as Liara plays a version of the theme on the piano in Shepard's apartment.
  • Options
    RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Space Harrier is one of the best. Its main theme song is perhaps the best song in video game history for me. Hiroshi Kawaguchi is the man when you see his credits!

Main Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Tam9lv1KQ

Bonus Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXOOS-NX-o

Game Over Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMxzKS0n1TQ
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outrun - the arcade originals and some of the remixes of those with Outrun 2006.

The background music (with the sound of ocean waves) when entering a high-score was also very cool.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Some of my favourite game soundtracks.

Limbo
    Journey

Another vote for these two soundtracks. I love games and themes which are a bit "ethereal" in nature, and both those games evoked that kind of whimsical fantasy, the soundtracks having a great deal to do with that.

I bought LIMBO's soundtrack by Martin Stig Andersson on iTunes, it's so hard to describe though. The sound is like that of being in a dream, which is the whole point. Awesome. I can't wait to see what he adds to Playdead's upcoming game "Inside"

I would give a vote to the GTA franchise as well, as Rockstar's soundtrack choices have been superb. I remember driving a truck across San Andreas in GTA: San Andreas and singing along to "Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys" and thinking "This is ridiculous, why am I enjoying this so damn much, this isn't right!" :D

A couple of old school soundtracks I like are "Tencho" from Playstation, and "Strider" the old arcade / megadrive game.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Wipeout 2097!!!!!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I love the Rayman 1 and Pokemon soundtracks. They bring back so many memories! :D
  • Options
    lauren:)lauren:) Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    GTA Vice City

GTA San Andreas as I loved the old skool hip hop as well as the rock on K-DST & Radio X

The Last of Us

All of the Uncharted games
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lauren:) wrote: »
    GTA Vice City

GTA San Andreas as I loved the old skool hip hop as well as the rock on K-DST & Radio X

The Last of Us

All of the Uncharted games

san andreas was great. even the presenters on all the radio stations were good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is in my opinion the best Soundtrack in years. David Wise returned and blessed us with his genius!

Click here, here, here or here for just a small taste. It's all gold.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoW, of course!

I mean... listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n6WP9qHyRM
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Another vote for these two soundtracks. I love games and themes which are a bit "ethereal" in nature, and both those games evoked that kind of whimsical fantasy, the soundtracks having a great deal to do with that.

I bought LIMBO's soundtrack by Martin Stig Andersson on iTunes, it's so hard to describe though. The sound is like that of being in a dream, which is the whole point. Awesome. I can't wait to see what he adds to Playdead's upcoming game "Inside"

I would give a vote to the GTA franchise as well, as Rockstar's soundtrack choices have been superb. I remember driving a truck across San Andreas in GTA: San Andreas and singing along to "Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys" and thinking "This is ridiculous, why am I enjoying this so damn much, this isn't right!" :D

A couple of old school soundtracks I like are "Tencho" from Playstation, and "Strider" the old arcade / megadrive game.

There isn't actually a lot of music in Limbo, but that's why I love it. It's very sparse, ambient and mysterious - just like the game itself. I got the soundtrack on iTunes too.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Streets of Rage
    Enough said

thats my 3rd best ever

2nd commodore 64 ocean loaders

1st , again commodore 64 ,,,,,,, the last ninja 1 and 2 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the wastelands track has no equal
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember loving a soundtrack Tim Follin did for a SNES game called Equinox back in the early 90's. Another 90's SNES soundtrack I liked was for Super Castlevania IV.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    The Mass Effect series in general was excellent, especially 1 and 2, I love all that eerie mood music, before the big budget guys were brought in for me3. The galaxy map and vigil theme in particular (which I think was overused in 3).

Dragon Quest IX had some great music on it. It's the only one I've played, but apparently, they all have great soundtracks.

Vice City was probably my favourite GTA soundtrack. It just put you straight into the 80's :p
  • Options
    Mojo FonesMojo Fones Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I loved the music in Beyond Good and Evil, also Spyro the Dragon.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the ocelot wrote: »
    I can't believe nobody's yet mentioned Super Mario Galaxy.

Or any of the Metal Gear Solids.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNVCD1dsnJI

CHILLS!
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wipeout! So on trend at the time. Fluke - Atom bomb was epic.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Legend of Zelda (all games) wins hands down for me. There are so many memorable tunes ranging from the epic to the beautiful; The Main Theme, The Dark World, Zelda's Lullaby, The Ocarina Melodies (Song of Time, Song of Storms, Serenade of Water, Minuet of Forest, Bolero of Fire, Song of Healing etc.), Gerudo Valley, Dragon Roost Island, The Great Sea, Full Steam Ahead (Spirit Tracks), Hyrule Field (Twilight Princess), Ballad of the Goddess and many many more.

I also love that music is so central to these games. They not only form the backdrop to many areas, but so often play a vital role in the story and gameplay itself.

In addition to that, I do find myself humming along to many of the tracks in Mario Kart or in the Pokémon games, and Baba Yetu from Civ IV gets another vote.