Massive snow storm about to hit the states - anyone else jealous?

AdsAds Posts: 37,055
Forum Member
Am probably in a small minority here but I wish we could have a massive storm like that here. Its well sign posted so everyone has time to get prepared, make sure elderly people are ok etc. But there is something quite enjoyable about being snowed in, when you have stocked up on food and drink.

Comments

• LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    No, I think you're quite wrong on this. How would you feel when the power went off and you have no lights, water or heating? I've been in that situation and it's no fun at all, no matter how many tins you have in your cupboard. Cold beans and water taken from the cold water tank of your toilet are not an appetising meal.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    No, I think you're quite wrong on this. How would you feel when the power went off and you have no lights, water or heating? I've been in that situation and it's no fun at all, no matter how many tins you have in your cupboard. Cold beans and water taken from the cold water tank of your toilet are not an appetising meal.

Exactly this. The UK can barely cope with a light dusting, so that type of storm would have catastrophic consequences in this country, and there would be absolutely bugger all "fun" about it at all.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Exactly this. The UK can barely cope with a light dusting, so that type of storm would have catastrophic consequences in this country, and there would be absolutely bugger all "fun" about it at all.

I'm trying to remember which year it was - around 1989/90 or so I think, when I lived in Nottingham and we really were without water, gas or electricity for a week or so. There was very little road traffic and no public transport at all for the first couple of days too. I had to hike in waist-high (in places) snow to my dad's house, about 8 miles outside Nottingham, where they still had services. I finally got back to my own place two weeks later to find that the roof was now in my bedroom as it had collapsed under the weight of all the snow!

Yeah, that experience has really put me off the white stuff...
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Am probably in a small minority here but I wish we could have a massive storm like that here. Its well sign posted so everyone has time to get prepared, make sure elderly people are ok etc. But there is something quite enjoyable about being snowed in, when you have stocked up on food and drink.

its no good for the elderly and those depending on carers in rural areas especially ..but i also would like a big snowstorm just to see it falling and the drifts..i cant see us getting even a few inches though as we just dont get zilch these days in little ol uk.. :(
    also like posters above we couldnt cope with it in the uk and the power and water would go off.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Well lets hope you (or more importantly someone else) is not denied access to a hospital in consequence of being snowed in.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People die in these sort of storms, so no, I am not jealous.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fairytale image.
    Reality = serious grief for too many people.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am probably in a small minority here
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    No, I think you're quite wrong on this.
    The UK can barely cope with a light dusting, so that type of storm would have catastrophic consequences in this country, and there would be absolutely bugger all "fun" about it at all.
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    its no good for the elderly and those depending on carers in rural areas.
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Well lets hope you (or more importantly someone else) is not denied access to a hospital in consequence of being snowed in.
    paralax wrote: »
    People die in these sort of storms, so no, I am not jealous.
    Reality = serious grief for too many people.
    It certainly seems that way :D

FWIW, I'm with you ads
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    Me! We've had a really rubbish winter this year in terms of snow.
    We haven't even had the customary 'dusting' here this year.

Would love a proper hefty fall - could go out sledging :)

Power cuts not a problem here - have coal-fuelled cooker and domestic hot water; battery and clockwork operated radios, and plenty of oil-lamps after my gran.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would be an unmitigated nightmare.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I'm not jealous, I hate being really cold!
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I think a few inches of the powdery stuff is great. We took our family to my parent's house in Surrey back in December 2010 and the girls had a blast making a modest little sledging piste. But I have no interest in a full on blizzard spectacle of the variety I've only seen in films or on the news. Too much bother and it would completely take the enjoyment away if I'm toiling away removing snow and unable to go anywhere.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What kind of idiot wants to be stuck in a storm. It could leave you without power or heating. Leave you not being able to get to work or other important services/meetings. Cause major distruption and at worst kill people.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

What is "enjoyable" about getting snowed in? It just means you can't get to work, which means no pay.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Why don't you just stay at home for a few days and pretend it's snowed? Don't you have any imagination? :confused:

You could even make it more realistic by switching off the power, and just sit there twiddling your thumbs.
  • Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I'm not jealous at all, trust me. I live in the Montreal area and luckily this storm system isn't going to affect us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    I'm not jealous at all, trust me. I live in the Montreal area and luckily this storm system isn't going to affect us.

Although according to the news it will be hitting upstate New York and the Toronto area very hard.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Although according to the news it will be hitting upstate New York and the Toronto area very hard.

I think it's mainly Atlantic areas that are seeing the brunt of this blizzard. So in Canada it would probably be New Brunswick and Nova Scotia getting the more severe conditions.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Well I do have friends there and whilst I don't want anything to happen to anyone, as I can't even afford to have my passport renewed, leave along the airfare to get there, I'm not too concerned. :D

Having said that, New York normally does get snow and are fully equipped to deal with it unlike us here in UK where we have a National breakdown after one flake.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    What kind of idiot wants to be stuck in a storm.

Serial killers? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's mainly Atlantic areas that are seeing the brunt of this blizzard. So in Canada it would probably be New Brunswick and Nova Scotia getting the more severe conditions.

Yeah, looking at the map, I'd agree. I think the commentator was wide of the mark with Toronto.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    No there isn't and the last thing we want here is a massive storm.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't wish that kind of misery on anyone. People are gonna be stuck and unable to go to work, school, college or whatever. They can't get out and will lose power and some might even die :o And some people think snow is fun? Anything but!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,806
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    What is "enjoyable" about getting snowed in? It just means you can't get to work, which means no pay.

Depends who you work for.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, me. I've only made one snowman so far and he was a foot tall. The snowcockandballs remains resolutely unconstructed :(