Team UK uniforms

desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm a bit surprised no one else has remarked on the Team UK uniforms.

They were very shoddy, nasty thin nylon and FGS what was with the gold bits tacked on at random? The athletes looked like the staff at Maplins holiday camp taking part in and end of season "show".

The other nations were very smart, colourful and wore their national dress/Olympic uniforms proudly. Our team looked like a rabble.

All that money spent and no-one in authority could come up with anything at least partly suitable. If this was designed by Stella McCartney then she should hang her head in shame, they were diabolical. talk about can't design a brown paper bag.

Terrible, just like Paul McCartney's attempt to "entertain" us, with his dreadful rendition of Hey Judge. We wasted about two minutes of that and then turned off what was, up to then, a really good show.

Comments

• AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The referee who took the oath was in his 'next' suit and looked like a next security guard
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say the majority were dressed badly and many worse than GB (Sweden and Germany)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The GBR outfits weren't great but Germany had the worst. There's a reason why you never hear Germany and fashion in the same sentence.

I didn't like the USA ones either. It made them all look like a camp airline crew and was little more than an advert for Ralph Lauren.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey Judge?:confused::D

Our Olympic Team looked cosy and comfortable, and I liked the white and gold. They probably kept away from the red, white and blue to avoid any more tantrums from the Daily Mail readers.

I preferred their outfits to the predictable mens suits and ties and women's air hostess skirt suits a lot of teams were in. And they're not thin. One of the rowing team was just interviewed wearing his and it looked pretty thick.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I wasn't sure at first but I quite like them now. Not sure why they went for gold but still...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the uniforms (made by Next) had a motivational slogan on them but the IOC insisted that they were covered up!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9434630/London-2012-Olympics-Team-GB-forced-to-cover-up-motivational-slogan-on-jackets-at-opening-ceremony.html
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the design was in tribute to the late Jimmy Saville.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the GB team were a tribute act for the village people.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Apparently the uniforms (made by Next) had a motivational slogan on them but the IOC insisted that they were covered up!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9434630/London-2012-Olympics-Team-GB-forced-to-cover-up-motivational-slogan-on-jackets-at-opening-ceremony.html

Elvis impersonaters :D
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have posted already about this. The uniform were ghastly. All they needed were their sock tucked into their tracksuit bottoms to complete the look. Horrible. A low among mostly highs of the ceremony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stella McCartney designed the Team GB kits not the uniforms for the procession.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their was me ridiculing the Germans for their hideous coats when what happens, we have to go and take the bloody biscuit by dressing our team in a Chav interpretation of space wear. Absolutely, gobsmackingly dreadful, cheap and nasty. My vote for worst team costume of the night.
  • DrPLDrPL Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    I thought the design was in tribute to the late Jimmy Saville.

They were actually designed by the same person who did the costumes for Blake's 7.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Hey Judge?:confused::D

Should have been Hey Jude of course. Sorry, suffering from Olympic over saturation and its only day three.

Didn't know the old farts at the IOC made them have those bizarre patches all over their outfits - NAFF. But I still think the uniforms were awful and cheap looking.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It didn't help the situation the way the athletes acted. I thought it was just me being old and a bit fuddy duddy but my son started laughing and said 'It's like Newcastle on a Friday night'. :D
  • sparkplugssparkplugs Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The GBR outfits weren't great but Germany had the worst. There's a reason why you never hear Germany and fashion in the same sentence.

I didn't like the USA ones either. It made them all look like a camp airline crew and was little more than an advert for Ralph Lauren.
    I couldn't agree with you more about the Germany and USA uniforms! :D I also didn't like the Russian uniforms. I actually did like the British uniforms, it made everybody in the Team GB parade look like they were dressed to go on a cruise ship in my opinion! :D Another team's uniform style I liked was the one for the Australia team!
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Weren't the German parade costumes a tribute to the Israeli athletes who were murdered at the Munich Olympics forty years ago?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    They were horrendous - complete with Ali G bling collars.

Didn't we wear very stylish linen suits at Beijing... or was it Athens?
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I saw them crowded in the back waiting to parade I was a bit horrified - Elvis impersonators indeed.

But when they came out they didn't seem too bad, I liked the whiteness of them and they seemed rather fun actually.

Our team certainly didn't behave with proper decorum, but I've forgiven them.
  • sparkplugssparkplugs Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I saw them crowded in the back waiting to parade I was a bit horrified - Elvis impersonators indeed.

But when they came out they didn't seem too bad, I liked the whiteness of them and they seemed rather fun actually.

Our team certainly didn't behave with proper decorum, but I've forgiven them.
    Team GB didn't look dressed like Elvis impersonators to me! :confused: