Guardian on which artists turned down the Closing Ceremony gig

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/aug/13/david-bowie-olympics-closing-ceremony

Shame. Bowie ending with Heroes would have been wonderful.

Comments

• zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Looks like even the spice girls didn't want to be there, Shame on all those who couldn't be bothered.

And yet Gary Barlow made the effort dispite his own personal tragedy. It's times like this when you realise who the true stars are.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zexstream wrote: »
    Looks like even the spice girls didn't want to be there.

Shame on all those who couldn't be bothered.

given the 26 million plus peak audience last night a few people will be kicking themselves i suspect....:o
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/aug/13/david-bowie-olympics-closing-ceremony

General feeling is that Bowie retired after his heart attack back in 2004 so it doesn't surprise me, and the Sex Pistols aren't together at the moment, Johnny's touring with PiL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It would, but seemingly he doesn't perform any more for health and family reasons, so not that surprising that he turned it down. He allowed the use of his music (including Heroes) during the Olympics so it's hardly a snub.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what really didnt sit right with me was music being used when the Artist was still alive.
    That really came across as lazy by the director.
    another error sadly was George apparently 1 million tuned out as he began to sing his 'new' song.I know the Guy has been through a terrible time but his first performance was him in a much better place.

The Fashion segment was also wasted they could have had performers doing a very powerful set with the supermodels the Centrepoint.If the Artist is still alive and didnt want to perform it should have been left out.I think many saw the buildup Bowie got he was going to appear
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a bit of a long shot given his heart problems and the fact that he hasn't played a proper gig for six years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at the Albert Hall for David Gilmour on 29 May 2006, and Bowie came on at the end and did Arnold Layne and Comfortably Numb. Awesome.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K499HpGF46E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySx7af3fEf4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Bush also rarely performs live, so I figured she would say no.

The Sex Pistols? Would've been amazing, but would Johnny want to do it?

Were Elton & Cliff asked? And where was Robbie Williams?

I would've loved to have seen Adele, The Rolling Stones, The Jam, The Police, Frankie Goes to Hollywoood and quite a few more.

They missed a trick not getting Spandau Ballet on with Gold, Duran Duran doing Rio towards the end, followed by Soul II Soul doing Back to Life.

I think Coldplay are doing the Paralympic one, maybe a few more artists will want to do that, after the success of the games so far.
  • hessy2hessy2 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think Robbie Williams was pencilled in, but pulled out due to the imminent birth of his first child.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    given the 26 million plus peak audience last night a few people will be kicking themselves i suspect....:o

and figures say 219 million watched in america!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would've loved to have seen Adele, The Rolling Stones, The Jam, The Police, Frankie Goes to Hollywoood and quite a few more.

They missed a trick not getting Spandau Ballet on with Gold, Duran Duran doing Rio towards the end, followed by Soul II Soul doing Back to Life.

I think Coldplay are doing the Paralympic one, maybe a few more artists will want to do that, after the success of the games so far.

it does reek of some reporters lurking outside the place all this was being put together and the run throughs hearing the music and assuming the Artist (if still alive) would be there given the event.

Kate Bush has been in most of the Daily fail stories for about a week now.
    Forum Member
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    It was a bit of a long shot given his heart problems and the fact that he hasn't played a proper gig for six years.

yeah i was there!:o
    Forum Member

johnny is gigging with PiL and had a gig last night my friend was there
  • RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonburn wrote: »
    another error sadly was George apparently 1 million tuned out as he began to sing his 'new' song.I know the Guy has been through a terrible time but his first performance was him in a much better place.

Read about the hastily deleted advert tweet from his record company... shows exactly what he thinks of the Olympics. When he talked about 'centre of the universe', I think he reckoned it was because they were gathered around him at that moment.

I actually used to like him, he's written some great songs, but I lost all respect for him last night. I might have considered going to see a show of his if he was singing his classic songs, but no way would I give him any of my money now.
  • friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more interested in which members of Team GB weren't there i.e. Wiggins and Ennis?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I'd rather know which artists who had originally declared themselves 'busy' tried to get in on the act after they saw how well the opening ceremony went :D There were at least two, apparently!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather know which artists who had originally declared themselves 'busy' tried to get in on the act after they saw how well the opening ceremony went :D There were at least two, apparently!

Whoever has to do all the work booking artists must have a lot of diva-ish stuff to deal with. :p
  • bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would have been great. Wish they'd played it anyway with a montage of winning celebration moments or kids trying out new sports (with a bit of lyric remixing)

Ronnie Wood said in an interview about a month ago that they were already rehearsing for a tour next year. I wondered then if they might appear, but sadly no.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read about the hastily deleted advert tweet from his record company... shows exactly what he thinks of the Olympics. When he talked about 'centre of the universe', I think he reckoned it was because they were gathered around him at that moment.

I actually used to like him, he's written some great songs, but I lost all respect for him last night. I might have considered going to see a show of his if he was singing his classic songs, but no way would I give him any of my money now.

So the song he sang after Freedom was his new single? :eek:

Doing such a thing is surely a huge NO NO. Whatever would possess anyone to be so damned selfish. You just do not use events like this to showcase your own new material. I recall Adam Ant at Live Aid singing his new song when everyone else was doing the old classic hits everyone knew. He got derided for doing that at the time, and the song was a subsequent flop despite that huge exposure.

It surprises me that the calibre of George Michael didn't know better.

(the song did sound quite decent however)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    and figures say 219 million watched in america!

Not a chance in hell of that being true. Where on earth did you get that number from? :confused:
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member

They missed a trick not getting Spandau Ballet on with Gold, Duran Duran doing Rio towards the end

I said the exact same thing at work yesterday. I wonder if either band was approached?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    zexstream wrote: »
    Looks like even the spice girls didn't want to be there, Shame on all those who couldn't be bothered.

And yet Gary Barlow made the effort dispite his own personal tragedy. It's times like this when you realise who the true stars are.

I don't think it's a case of not being bothered, Kate Bush hasn't appeared live for a long time and obviously doesn't want to appear live again.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    I'm more interested in which members of Team GB weren't there i.e. Wiggins and Ennis?

Brad is in Majorca, he's had quite a busy time lately and obviously thought a family holiday was more important. Don't think anyone could argue.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Didn't Elton originally agree to do it then bad a bust up with the organisers so pulled out?

Adele is heavily pregnant.

Where were the Rolling Stones? Are they touring?

Coldplay are heavily involved with the Paralympics.

Totally agree about George Michael plugging his crap new single. I wonder why he was allowed to do this? Did he say he wouldn't attend unless he could plug it?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well let's not kid ourselves here, this wasn't a Live Aid where the artists all appeared for free out of the goodness of their hearts for charridy. Paul McCartney was paid a speculated £1 million for his effort in the opening ceremony. I wonder what the Spice Girls were paid?

And I see there is already an album on iTunes.

Perhaps George was the only artist with a new song coming out soon? Maybe they agreed to allow him to do it due to him coming back from his serious illness and the concert was seen as his official 'come back' performance.

Does a remix count as a new song?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/08/kate-bush-releases-running-up-the-hill-remix/

Article below highlighting how most of the people who appeared could have had something to gain:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2187963/London-2012-Pop-stars-struck-gold-Olympics-Records-tours-fashion--singers-plug.html

I did laugh at the mention of Victoria Beckham during the fashion segment. Now THAT was cringe worthy.