"Blood spinning", is it doping/ cheating?

13»

Comments

• allafixallafix Posts: 20,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Injections of GH into a muscle will increase muscle strength.

This is why athletes who need that procedure must get an exemption certificate to do so.

Fifa and Wada will eventually ban these techniques, its not if, but when. At the moment they are absolutely pushing the lines of legality so far.

The FA do blood testing, its on their website.

I am not happy if any CFC player uses spinning techniques, i would condemn them wholeheartedly if they were doing so now.

Would injections of artificial GH into a muscle be acceptable?
    On what basis do you believe PRP injections will increase muscle strength? The reason WADA currently allow it is because it doesn't do that.

First you say said it was growth hormone, then red blood cells to make a closer analogy with the Armstrong case, now you are disagreeing with the authorities on what PRP injection do.

Please stop making wild claims. Clearly the use of PRP injections needs to be monitored because of potential abuse. But it is totally unlike blood doping, apart from the fact blood and centrifuges are involved. There is a clear and unnatural performance gain in that technique.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is occurring, are we testing?

We are actually pretty slapdash when it comes to drug testing of athletes/ soccer players in the uk. We are also slapdash when they miss a test, and another and another. They get a lifetime ban, but when they threaten to run for another country we cave in.

THAT is a disgrace.
    Rio Ferdinand might disagree, he got a long ban for doing just that. Christine Ohuruogu, who I think you are referring to, didn't miss consecutive tests. She missed three over a period of time, but was tested at other times throughout that period. If she was doping it would have shown up in the contemporary tests she did have. She won her case, suggesting she was cheating is unfair in that light. Is it your day for wild accusations?
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are absolutely, almost deliberately confusing the issue.
    Blood spinning is on the edge of cheating, it is a matter of time before it is banned. It really is that simple.

I think that ALL football clubs that use this technique are a disgrace.

I believe that the scandal currently sweeping Australia will eventually was up on our shores.

I believe that there is no difference between acquiring GH from spinning, or from artificial measures. To me, both are cheating.

I believe that there is an advantage to injecting GH into muscle, that will increase performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are absolutely, almost deliberately confusing the issue.
    Blood spinning is on the edge of cheating, it is a matter of time before it is banned. It really is that simple.

I think that ALL football clubs that use this technique are a disgrace.

I believe that the scandal currently sweeping Australia will eventually was up on our shores.

I believe that there is no difference between acquiring GH from spinning, or from artificial measures. To me, both are cheating.

I believe that there is an advantage to injecting GH into muscle, that will increase performance.
    I'm not confusing the issue. Quite the reverse, I'm trying to clarify it after your wild assertions. You confused things by talking about red blood cells and transfusions. Rather than simply repeat your assertions why not answer the question I put to you earlier, repeated below for your convenience:

On what basis do you believe PRP injections will increase muscle strength? The reason WADA currently allow it is because it doesn't do that.

Football clubs using the techniques are doing so within the rules. There is no performance gain, just more rapid recovery from injury. The scandal in Australia may well spread to here, but is the Australian scandal about PRP injections, the subject of this thread?

What you believe is not necessarily the facts of the case. Do you seriously think the authorities have not taken into account the suspicions you have? PRP was banned in 2010 by WADA but has been made legal again after review.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »

ok, one more time.

WADA has approved the use of this technique (PRP injections) in soft tissue, but here is the rub - this EXCLUDES intramuscular injection.

When you inject this stuff into the muscle directly, it is absolutely possible that PRP can enhance muscle growth.

It has a similar effect to classic steroids.

According to the original article, the player had a "pelvic injury", but then AVB said

"In muscle injuries there is always a risk of it showing up again, but the medical department feel positive about it and the player is positive and he knows his body well."

Revealing it definitely to be a muscle injury.

"He has had an injection and the MRI scan showed only a grade one injury."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok, one more time.

WADA has approved the use of this technique (PRP injections) in soft tissue, but here is the rub - this EXCLUDES intramuscular injection.

When you inject this stuff into the muscle directly, it is absolutely possible that PRP can enhance muscle growth.

It has a similar effect to classic steroids.

According to the original article, the player had a "pelvic injury", but then AVB said

"In muscle injuries there is always a risk of it showing up again, but the medical department feel positive about it and the player is positive and he knows his body well."

Revealing it definitely to be a muscle injury.

"He has had an injection and the MRI scan showed only a grade one injury."
    WADA banned PRP for intramuscular injections in 2010. This ban on PRP was lifted in 2011 due to the lack of evidence it promoted muscle growth. Therefore Defoe's treatment is entirely legal, as present rules stand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Therefore Defoe's treatment is entirely legal, as present rules stand.

No one is saying it is illegal, at the moment.

The question is, is it against fair play.

I have asked this question regarding cortisone injections also
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,774
    Forum Member
    Would a blood passport similar to what they use in cycling be possible to get off of the ground in football?

I think that it would be a good idea, if it were at all possible, it would certainly help to see who is clean and who is not.

I really don't think the authorities want to discover something they might not like. At the moment they can point to the fact that there are hardly any failed tests and football is clean, while ignoring the fact that's because they never test anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is saying it is illegal, at the moment.

The question is, is it against fair play.

I have asked this question regarding cortisone injections also
    Errm, you said exactly that when you said WADA didn't allow intra-muscular injections of PRP.

If it is legal, like cortisone, and everyone at the same level can use it for the purposes allowed, recovery from injury, then it is fair. If Defoe suddenly develops enormous groin muscles then I might change my mind. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets not label anyone or a group of people without just cause, yes there might be people who might fail a test that would come as a shock, but until such a time, I think it would be unfair to say otherwise until it actually occurs.

"its only a matter of time" regarding the impending drug scandals and the UK.

Not my words, but those of the director general of WADA, David Howman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Errm, you said exactly that when you said WADA didn't allow intra-muscular injections of PRP.

It was claimed on the Radio this week that the FA urine tests are not covered by WADA, WADA has nothing to do with football.

Is this true?